Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ready to Leave BGE Behind - I need some help deciding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mug15
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks FireMan - I in fact did NOT know what it meant!

• jfmorris
    replied
    mug15 I have a rotisserie for my Weber Genesis II gas grill. I wish I had spent a little more and gotten it for my Weber kettle instead. My biggest reason is that the head space - the distance from spit to the grate and flavorizer bars that protect the burners is not big enough, and spinning anything bigger than a 5 pound chicken is impossible, much less a turkey. Other gas grills I’ve seen rotisserie setups on were better.

Not so sure what gasser you have, but I don’t think smoke on rotisserie is as important as getting crisp skin and some mallard browning in your beef or pork.

Leave a comment:

• mug15
    replied
    Again - I am blown away by the awesome number and quality of responses - thanks so much for making me confident about these decisions. I am likely to go with a dedicated electric for fish (as pointed out by AZ Fogey they can hold as low as 130).

Last big Q for the gang here - I have never had a rotisserie. My guess is that a charcoal heat source (again I cannot get good wood here) > a rotisserie for a gasser but that my be way off base as you don't really need a lot of smoke flavor for most things you would rotisserie, so a smoke box in a gasser would be fine for something like a spit cook of a bone-in beef rib roast?

Leave a comment:

• jfmorris
    commented on 's reply
    HandsomeDave she has been recruiting people who will serve and keep the steam table trays full. The venue has a large kitchen with a large food warmer for holding steam table trays of food. My thoughts are to cook and pull pork (and chicken) in advance over the month or so leading up to the wedding, vacuum sealing it all and filling up the deep freeze. My challenge the weekend of the wedding will be getting it all thawed and warmed to serving temperatures and into the warmer before 5pm.

• HandsomeDave
    commented on 's reply
    jfmorris Yep I am still around. Hope you have a lot of help with that wedding! Weddings are stressful enough without adding cooking for 200 on top of it.

• HandsomeDave
    commented on 's reply
    AZ Fogey that is a genius idea. I don't know why it didn't occur to me. Sometimes I amaze myself.

• jfmorris
    commented on 's reply
    Haha so sorry Huskee - you should have just deleted stuff and not told us, then we could keep blaming not finding stuff on the search engine....

• AZ Fogey
    commented on 's reply
    HandsomeDave , get the PBC Pit Viper adapter from BBQ Guru. It's a cinch to install and the Fireboard should control temps beautifully in the PBC.

• Old Glory
    commented on 's reply
    I get it, its a pain. I'm still holding out hope for the BGE since its such a great cooker. I get my lump online from FOGO. It is some of the best lump available. https://www.fogocharcoal.com/

• Huskee
    commented on 's reply
    Gee thanks for throwing me under the bus jfmorris

• jfmorris
    commented on 's reply
    Good to see you HandsomeDave - I was thinking of you and your month of smoking butts for your event a while back, as my daughter still tells me I am smoking for 200 folks for her wedding next May. Unfortunately, I can’t find that thread anymore - I think Huskee purged it...
    Last edited by jfmorris; November 15, 2019, 05:18 PM.

• jfmorris
    commented on 's reply
    I grill fish on the same grill I use for everything else - usually on the Genesis or the kettle. I’ve never smoked fish, but don’t see what it would do to your cooker as long as you clean it between cooks.

• jfmorris
    replied
    mug15 Bbqguru.com sells this adapter that should let your existing Guru fan work on the WSM:

The way it is installs is dirt simple. Close two of the 3 bottom vents on the WSM. On the third, open it up wide, and install the guru adapter in one hole, and cover the other 2 holes in that vent with the included foil tape. A silicon kill plug is included to plug the adapter when not in use.

This page has a video of how it installs on the WSM.

View FAQ’s, troubleshooting tips, helpful articles and more.

Last edited by jfmorris; November 15, 2019, 05:11 PM.

Leave a comment:

• LA Pork Butt
    replied
    I have a BGE and most of my overnight cooks are Boston Butts to serve at noon. I have had no trouble sleeping through the night while they cook. I start the fire at 7pm and stabilize the fire at 225, to put the meat on at 8. If the 9 or 10 pound butt is finished for 8am I wrap it and put it in an ice chest with old towels until I am ready to serve at noon. If it takes 14 hours I can still get 2 hours in the ice chest. I am putting one on tonight.

Leave a comment:

• HandsomeDave
    commented on 's reply
    Beefchop It depends on what I am cooking. It has definitely overcooked Chuckies and ribs. Dried them out mostly. Pork shoulders are more forgiving. I can't seem to hit the sweet spot with the temps. Either it settles in at 325 or higher, or it drops like a stone. I have had it drop below 225. Very frustrating.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here