Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PBC a little too smoky

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PBC a little too smoky

So, I've done about 5-6 cooks on the PBC and am generally pretty pleased with it. However, I find that with steak and vegetables, the outcome has a little too intensive "smoke" flavor. Should I use Kathryn's 15-10-10 method to make sure all the charcoal in the PBC has at least some ash on it and is no longer in the initial really smoky phase. Personally, I don't mind the smokey flavor but the family is not so keen. Oh, and I find it really doesn't matter which charcoal i use. I've used Kingsford Competition, Original, and lump charcoal as well. Thanks for any advice on this.

By using the 15/10/10 method the white smoke has time to burn off. You can actually wait a little longer to put your meat on until the smoke clears.

On long cooks you still will get white smoke bellows but that is the juice from the fat vaporizing and causing the fog that gives PBC its unique flavor.

I was a big Kingsford fan but I started using Royal Oak and I don’t notice any difference.

Welcome to The Pit!
    Last edited by jecucolo; August 24, 2019, 12:46 PM.

Comment

• pkadare
      pkadare commented
      Editing a comment
      I also use Royal Oak and also don't really notice any difference.

Thanks folks. For ribs, pork, and chicken, I really don't know notice this phenomenon. I will just let the coals burn a little longer.

Comment

• pkadare
      pkadare commented
      Editing a comment
      Interesting that you don't notice it with chicken. In my experience chicken takes up smoke much more readily than most other foods.

If you are using the PBC as a grill, be sure to remove the rebars so it will burn hotter and cleaner. When I use it for shorter cooks I put a single layer of unlit coals in the basket. Once I pour in the lit coals and use tongs to evenly distribute them over the unlit coals I leave the lid off for 10 minutes. After that I put the lid on (if using wood this is when it gets added) with the rebars out for another 10 minutes. It's at this point I put in the meat/veggies. That is how Kathryn drew it up and it works like a charm every time.

If you are looking to reduce smokey flavor in the PBC go with lump or a clean-burning briquette like Weber for the layer of unlit coals. It doesn't matter what brand you use for the lit coals as long as they are thoroughly lit. The last few cooks I did in mine I used KBB for the lit coals and Weber for the unlit coals. I was very happy with the results.

Comment

I would make sure that the charcoal you are adding to the basket are burning hot. I always give the chimney a good shake to get all of the ash off of the charcoal. This will make sure that it will be burning hot and clean. You should also make sure that you are giving the fire enough air, to make sure that smoldering is at a minimum.

Running the PBC hotter will ensure that you are burning hot and clean the whole time. Cooking hotter is really a problem, there are plenty of pit masters that run their pits at 300 F - 400 F. Hot and Fast is becoming more and more popular.

Using lump will also help as it is generally, more flavor neutral.

Comment

I've had great success with B&B briqs. They are bigger than the average RO or Kings briq, but see to burn a bit hotter and with less ash. As Spinaker mentioned, I knock the ash off before I dump into my PBC. Lastly, I was religious with the PBC lighting method and have since decided to just dump when my chimney full of coals are white, I've had better success and more steady temps. But at the end of the day, I might be splitting hairs, the PBC just works.

Comment

Just to clarify, Bobmcgahan , you're not adding any wood to the fire, are you? The PBC imparts smoky taste well enough with charcoal alone, but some of us still add a piece or two (4 to 6 oz each) to the fire depending on the length of the cook.

You've received excellent advice here in the previous posts. Let us know how your family likes those shorter cooks with steaks and veggies after you've followed some of the tips. Your learning curve is our learning curve as well.

Kathryn

Comment

• Bobmcgahan
            Bobmcgahan commented
            Editing a comment
            I'm not adding additional wood. Thanks for the reply.

• fzxdoc
            fzxdoc commented
            Editing a comment
            I figured you weren't, Bobmcgahan , but I wanted to clarify it in my own mind.

K.

I agree with au4stree that B&B Briquettes are a favorite. IMO they do seem to burn a little hotter with slightly less ash. I had to have my local Ace Hardware order them but it was no trouble at all.

Comment

I wish they sold B&B briquettes in our neck of the woods, Skip and au4stree . Sigh.

Kathryn

Comment

• pkadare
              pkadare commented
              Editing a comment
              From what I can tell they are sold on Amazon.com.

• fzxdoc
              fzxdoc commented
              Editing a comment
              pkadare , $36 for 17.5 lbs. on Amazon. I'd have to want them badly to pay that.

K.

• pkadare
              pkadare commented
              Editing a comment
              fzxdoc, true dat. :-)

Thanks all. Very helpful.

Comment

BTW, I will have a separate post on "Hot and Fast" v. "Low and Slow" based on a recent cook on my Primo XL. Short answer, for pork butt, "low and slow" is the way to go.

Comment

• fzxdoc
                fzxdoc commented
                Editing a comment
                I'll look for that post, Bobmcgahan . Thanks for the heads up.

Kathryn

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here