Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bragging thread - Awesome Grill or Smoker deals found out in the Wild

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just got a sweet deal! Lowes put some of their Char Broil grills on sale for 15% off today through April 20, 2015. Coupled with a $50 coupon code, I just scored my new - previously $499 - gaser for $374. Under $400 assembled, delivered; taxes and all!
    47000:turtle::turtle::turtle::turtle::turtle::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::turtle:: Follow the WIKI www.lowes.com

Comment

DSchmale the link confuses me as to how to use the code. Can you elaborate?

Comment

Sure. Copy whichever code you'd like to use into the "promo code" box at check out. Once pasted, replace the Rs with any number 0-9.

For example:
        My code was "4700RRRRR84680R"
        I entered 470012345846805, changing the middle five Rs to 12345 and the last one to a 5. It should end up all numbers. You may have to try a few times since each variation of that code can only be used once. Basically, if it tells you that the code has already been used, just change one of the R numbers to something else and try again. I had to try a few variations. Good luck!

Comment

DSchmale That clears it up, thank you.

Comment

We on this site can justify anything. LOL

Comment

Sooooo... i've been going through heck trying to get a decent sized smoker up here. I was going to settle for a COS Smokey Joe Longhorn, then found that no one here has one, nor do they ship up here. Then I went for a 22" WSM, again, no joy, but i did get an 18" last night. All ready to season it tonight...
              Well, about 3 weeks ago, i found a guy that builds smokers as a side line. I didn't have the cash, so offered up a trade. At the time, he had several people looking at it. This morning we made a deal. Now I have an old COS that i was going to refurb, a new SmokinTex 1400, an 18" WSM, and THIS:

I'm really anxiuos to get the measurements and run them through the build calculator. The firebox looks just a little small, and i'm curious about the the firebox to cookbox connection, but I'm betting it will be great, and if i'm wrong, that's why there are grinders and welders. LOL

Comment

• Dr ROK
                Dr ROK commented
                Editing a comment
                After all the toubleyou've had getting something in that neck of the woods, you deserve a break. Glad this came through for you!

• 1buba
                1buba commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks Dr Rok. I pick it up today. Can't wait to check all the specks and run the calcs through Feldon's pit builder site. :-) Just for fun. Then smoke the heck out of it.

Started seasoning my WSM last night. thinking butts on it this weekend. :-)

1bub that smoker might be well suited for this modification: http://www.genuineideas.com/Articles...nussmoker.html

Comment

• 1buba
                1buba commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks Pit Boss!! Appreciate all the help i can get with this thing. Hoping to pick it up this weekend and fire it up to get temps on either end and the middle. I'm thinking the ends should be well balanced since the smoke/heat come in the middle back.

Will definitely cogitate on the mod.
                Thanks!

OK, here's my PK...
              For $60 it came complete with half-burned briquettes in the firebox. As-found pics are in the thread linked below.

Somebody along the way had tried to spruce it up for sale by taking a can of flat black paint and spraying the entire outside. Yup -- cart, shelves, handle, and cooker. Anybody know a good way to strip paint from aluminum?

Anyway, we brought it home last night and I got a better look today. Both the charcoal and cooking grate are toast but are readily available from PK. There was a layer of hardened ash in the bottom half that came right out, revealing some pitting in box. Since there was no indication of it on the outside it appears to be ok. The lower vent sliders were frozen but responded to a few whacks with a hammer and now work smoothly. A quick pass with a wire brush and it's ready for use.

The top half had some stick in the sliders but no hammer was needed. There was plenty of that cleaned up reasonably well with a scrub pad and Dawn.

Once I get the new grates from PK, I'll be in business. This is my fourth grill...my husband just rolls his eyes.

​ Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0013.JPG
Views:	255
Size:	191.1 KB
ID:	80464 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0014.JPG
Views:	276
Size:	267.7 KB
ID:	80465 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0016.JPG
Views:	297
Size:	165.3 KB
ID:	80466 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0017.JPG
Views:	277
Size:	263.0 KB
ID:	80467 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0015.JPG
Views:	307
Size:	222.4 KB
ID:	80468

Comment

• Drbearsec
                Drbearsec commented
                Editing a comment
                Sounds like my wife. Every time I want a new one I get "Where are we gonna store it?"

Sweet pickup there carolts! Your hubby will be quiet when you are kill'n your next cook on the PK !

Comment

Picked up my deal today. Custom built from a propane tank (sand blasted and already test burned before I got it). Cookbox: 67" x 22"
                Firebox: 27" Deep x 19" Diameter

Comment

• David Parrish
                  David Parrish commented
                  Editing a comment
                  This also could benefit from the Janus mod I linked above.

• Huskee
                  Huskee commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Wow, very nice. I worry more heat will be radiated out through the shell than through to the cook chamber, leading to hot hot fires and lots of fuel used. But I am anxious and very hopeful that I'm wrong. Please share lots of pics of this bad boy running! And congrats!

• 1buba
                  1buba commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks guys. Was gonna use it this weekend, but health issues resurfaced. Think i may do a couple of butts in the WSM instead. Easier since I'll need to really watch the Mini-War Wagon the first few times I use it to figure it out.

Two Weeks ago I answered a CL listing thinking it was a mis-print.. Tunrs out it wasn't. I picked up a Southern Pride DH-65 for 200.00. Fully functional. It does need a new fan motor and racks... but...

I'll take it!

Comment

• Hondo
                  Hondo commented
                  Editing a comment
                  That is amazing... congrats!

• Drbearsec
                  Drbearsec commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Wow!

• Huskee
                  Huskee commented
                  Editing a comment
                  You got a $9K smoker for $200?? There's more scrap steel in that than $200, nevermind that it still works. You get the best deal award!

Originally posted by Fourjp View Post
                Two Weeks ago I answered a CL listing thinking it was a mis-print.. Tunrs out it wasn't. I picked up a Southern Pride DH-65 for 200.00. Fully functional. It does need a new fan motor and racks... but...

I'll take it!

Wow. Just..... Wow.

Comment

I picked up a Blackstone Pizza oven for $100. It included a half full propane tank and cast iron searing plate.

It was broke, wouldn't work at all. Got the parts I needed for $35 and now it works great and I love it.

Comment

• David Parrish
                    David Parrish commented
                    Editing a comment
                    That's beautiful. Can my wife come over? She loves olives.

• Marauderer
                    Marauderer commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Sure, come on down.

• Huskee
                    Huskee commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I'm with Pit Boss, a beautiful pizza, looks as good any pizza joint. But I'll send my wife over with Dave's. She likes olives but me no likey.

Does a Weber Silver kettle at a thrift store for $40 count?

Comment

• David Parrish
                    David Parrish commented
                    Editing a comment
                    If it was in good working order, then yes it does!

• Gunderich_1
                    Gunderich_1 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Actually, it really was in pretty good shape. That's why I snapped it up.

• Huskee
                    Huskee commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Nice! I wouldn't hesitate to have an extra around for $40 if it was in good order.

Well I know it isn't too big of a deal but I was in the wilderness known as Wal*Mart and stumbled across what I thought to be a deal. I have been wanting to get a nice grill and was looking at a few at that infamous $399 price point at other stores but have been having problems pulling the trigger because I know that $400 would go a long way towards getting a good gas grill (probably a nice Weber Genesis). I found a new Weber Q1000 w/stand originally $199 on clearance for $98. I went ahead and picked it up since I am mostly needing something to just fire up real quick after work and grill myself something for dinner since I live alone. Also it will be easy and not to intimidating for the fiancee to use when she is over and wants to grill something. Now as long as it works I am good to go!

Comment

• JeffJ
                    JeffJ commented
                    Editing a comment
                    At that price I would have snatched it up too. I've cooked on the Q quite a number of times (my dad has one that we use for tailgating and my wife's mom has one on the deck - her bigger Genesis is in the garage which is upstairs). It's nice for simple food. It has 1 burner so 2-zone cooking is kind of out but when set at the lowest heat setting it kind of cooks indirect as the flame is REALLY low. On full blast it will produce a decent, but not great, sear.

• Nate
                    Nate commented
                    Editing a comment
                    JeffJ ,
                    Thanks for the feedback. I am saving up for a nice Weber and that is why I decided to go with this guy instead of something for $300-$400. I can fire up a charcoal grill if I need to, plus I have my smoker. The convenience of a gas grill is nice though after a long day at work or when you are little more pressed for time. And like you said it: it is portable. Tailgating! Grill on!

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here