Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

best-"first-time"-grill-as-a-gift

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best "first time" grill (as a gift)

So, my son’s got friends graduating soon (from high school) has me thinking about gifts you want them to have that will actually get used. Aside from the obvious things, some get new cars, phones, laptops, etc etc. I thought a good starter grill would be perfect for those who are into grilling and will likely take it to college tailgates, occasional steaks or whatever else college kids cook. Just curious what y’all think is the best first grill?

The poll is expired.

The W22 is affordable, portable, and you can cook anything on them.

Comment

Plus, if he get’s hooked, it’s MCS time.

Comment

Jumbo Joe
        or
        Weber Go-Anywhere propane
        Last edited by johnec00; January 19, 2019, 11:30 AM.

Comment

• Spacecase
          Spacecase commented
          Editing a comment
          I concur on the Jumbo Joe. College kids typically move each year or store items over the summer break. The JJ is easier to throw in a car or a storage unit.

• HawkerXP
          HawkerXP commented
          Editing a comment
          Go Joe! Chances are it will disappear within a year.

• Buck Flicks
          Buck Flicks commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah, I'd go with a Jumbo Joe or even a Smokey Joe over a 22" Kettle, given that space is likely limited for a college freshman. Way easier for tailgating and moving around - if they live in a dorm, they may not even be allowed to possess a grill.

Depends on where he lives. If on campus, he may not be able to use any sort of fire source, and he'd have to have a place to store it. If those possible impediments are of no concern/don't apply, then I vote for the Weber 22", or a Jumbo Joe.

My first grill in college was a hibatchi. Small enough to cram under my bed in the dorm, and perfect for burgers, etc whenever the cafeteria was serving mystery meat.

Kathryn

Comment

• CaptainMike
          CaptainMike commented
          Editing a comment
          MMMmmmm, mystery meat. Especially with that oily sheen on it. And never, ever eat cafeteria fish (except for fish sticks). In fact, I won't even order fish from a restaurant where I can't see the ocean.

• Potkettleblack
          Potkettleblack commented
          Editing a comment
          This is exactly it. If they’re going to an urban environment, charcoal might not be viable.

• Old Glory
          Old Glory commented
          Editing a comment
          We were not allowed grill when living in the dorms. Only Senior year when we lived in the Townhouses.

Jumbo joe or a 22 “ kettle

Comment

Weber 22: versitle, but it’s going to be to tough to stash in a dorm. Not impossible, just get one with a basic cart that can be taken apart.
          Weber 26: same as above but even harder to stash
          original PK: quite a generous gift! Awesome "starter" grill that will last decades! But again tough to stash in a dorm. But without the large table/cart and just the short legs awesome on a pickup truck tailgate.
          PBC: impossible to stash in a dorm. Good for smoking but not great for direct grilling (like can be done on a kettle or PK). IMO better suited as a starter smoker gift for a new homeowner.

So I am going to vote "other". Something sneaky that can be smuggled into a dorm. You can even fit it in a duffel bag! Nobody will suspect anything and snitches get no burgers. You can take it tailgating, or picknicking at parks. If necessary, it can be stashed in the trunk of a car. A charcoal fired marine grill. Magma makes good stuff. All marine grade stainless steel so it will last forever. They also have propane grills that use the small 1 pound bottles.

Comment

• EdF
            EdF commented
            Editing a comment
            That looks like the win to me!

• FireMan
            FireMan commented
            Editing a comment
            Hey Smokey, as a By The Way, check out FoxNews Business on Stickey the Pooh. 🕶

Unless he already knows how to grill with charcoal, I would go with a propane fired table top unit. Easy to transport or tailgate, and fast when college kids need a hotdog or a burger in the middle of the night.

Comment

• UncleFester
            UncleFester commented
            Editing a comment
            Totally! I wish I could say the same

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            EdF
            Well, I started on charcoal and never saw propane until I was in my 40's or something. So it's one of those YMMV situations!
            Lol, agreed...

First propane cooker (Blackstone 36") was at th tender age of 56 years old...

• EdF
            EdF commented
            Editing a comment
            Now you made me think Mr. Bones. My intro to propane was at 62.

Yeah I'll also cast a vote for the jumbo joe. So easy to store or pack up and take anywhere while still keeping the weber kettle quality. I use mine all the time when I go places

Comment

Weber with a SNS. If they can take them to school - off campus apartments? Probably won't work if they are in dorm rooms.

Comment

I’d probably not get a grill for a high school graduate. They move around, live in small a small apartment or dorm or room in a house. Most probably aren’t too interested in cooking, if they are interested in cooking that’s a different story. If you do get a grill, I’d vote for a hibachi or jumbo joe.

Comment

• SmokeyGator
                SmokeyGator commented
                Editing a comment
                Another good choice. The instant pot will be dorm approved, just say it is a "slow cooker". Because it is! Also a pressure cooker but let’s downplay that. Be a dorm hero when you make enough pulled pork to feed the floor

I voted kettle but sleeping bag is what I chose for my son

Comment

• RustyHaines
                RustyHaines commented
                Editing a comment
                I vote kettle too. My Pop's advice when I left home was get yourself a good sleeping bag and keep it and little stash of cash in your car at all times ! Guess he thought there could always be a need to be on the run from something.

• Fire Art
                Fire Art commented
                Editing a comment
                RustyHaines in Wyoming it gets Cold night

If you want to keep the focus on cooking, how about an Instant Pot? Not BBQ, but does a passable job on a wide variety of dishes.

Comment

Remembering back to when I graduated college about 10 years ago we definitely couldn’t have grills in our dorms and most of the college housing apartments didn’t allow for charcoal fires and such in balconies....

however....

A portable pellet cooker like GMG has or like rectec had would be AWESOME and great for college imho if they are allowed to have such items.

OR...

I think a nice Weber Q with cart/stand would work nicely. You can’t necessarily 2 zone with it but for grilling purposes it will definitely get you through. It got me through for a while.

Now if college wasn’t a factor and then I would be looking at this completely different.

Comment

Good ideas and thoughts thus far. I do want you clarify, this was just a thought I had. The boys graduating are into grilling and won't live in dorms. I'm sure I'll get over ruled by my accountant (wife). She'll probably buy them towels or something.....😒

Comment

• Skip
                    Skip commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I still remember going off to Tech School in 1973 and my Mom handing me 2 Orange Bath Towels. I never gave much thought to that stuff before I left. Lol!

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here