Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Barrel (?) Smoker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Barrel (?) Smoker

Hola from Ecuador.
    We moved to a small fishing village on the west coast of Ecuador 3 years ago to retire. Yes, we love it here. Sunny, mid 80,s to high 70,s year round. Rainy season now. Only a little each day.
    Long story short, I have always made sausage for us and a few friends. I was asked to donate something for a local charity about 1 1/2 years ago, so I donated 2 kilos of breakfast sausage. One kilo sold for $28 and the other for $29.
    A few months later, a lot of people on several forums heard about it and kept asking to buy some. So today, my wife and I ran 40# and will do another 30 tomorrow, all presold.
    Well, now making corned beef. Next is into smoking.
    I found this in a restaurant that was closing and now I think I have a smoker. But I need some expert advice on making it work right. It is really a commercial roaster. Cooks 24 hanging chickens at a time. Propane fueled.
    I envisioned a smoke stack on top and a SS bowl over the burner for sawdust and viola! a smoker.
    Wondering now about adding a vortex "fan" to help heat distribution. I have a Thermoworks Smoke on the way and can then check the range of temps. There is two rows of SS rod at 2 different levels and distance from the sides with atotal of 24 SS hooks for hanging.
    What do I need to look for, add to or any suggestions to improve this monster? Once it is up and running right , I will smoke sausage, pastrami, bacon or anything else. I did have a grill for my BGE XL that hangs perfect from the hooks, albiet a pretty high , though.

Thanks for any Help.

file:///C:/Users/Dee/Desktop/Smoker/harlet@sbcglobal.net%20-%20AT&T%20Yahoo%20Mail_files/thumbnail_008.jpg
    Attached Files

Welcome to The Pit Tony. Sorry, but I can't help.

Comment

I wish I could help. But I have no idea what that cooker is.
      But it looks really cool. I could see myself owning one of those. If for nothing else the cool factor.

Comment

Looks cool. I have a pit Barrel Cooker which does allow you to hang meats but it works using charcoal that burns the fats and juices to create a fog. No experience with that type of cooker

Comment

I know that there are propane pits out there but I know nothing about those. Maybe someone with one of those could chime in. Back in the beginning, I had an electric Brinkman bullet smoker. From what I see in your pictures, it looks like you could use the same principles. At the electric element I placed a few wood chunks for smoke. Above that was a water pan to moderate the temperature and, I guess, add moisture. Never really thought about it. Any how, I think you will need either a heat diffuser plate or a water pan in there to temper the heat off the burner with your wood between the burner and the water pan. If you can temper the heat down low enough so that you can keep 275 or 300, the water pan may not be needed and you can use the the wood pan to fog with the drippings. No real scientific basis to what I am saying. More of a it looks like this so this might work. Enjoy the cooker and let us know how it turns out

Comment

That’s Awesome looking chicken cooker a little practice and a couple of temp probs it should cook with the best of them

Comment

Welcome to the Pit from Hays, Kansas!

Comment

With my limited knowledge, it sounds like your plan might work. Try it with a couple of birds & see what happens. That thing is cool. But, it does look simply like a big barrel, so treat it like one. The only thing I question is sawdust vs. chips or chunks. There are quite of few pro tinkerers here that might give you better coaching. Welcome Tony, eat good & it looks like you’re havin fun.

Comment

Take a look at the setup of the Smoke Vault 24. They have the burner at the bottom, a metal pan just above the burner to hold wood or woodchips, and then a water pan right above that. The 2 pans protect the food from the direct heat of the burner. I think you could set up something along those lines. The only problem I see is that the Smoke Vault has a side door which makes it easy to replenish the water in the pan during the cook.

Comment

• TonyinEcuador
                    TonyinEcuador commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yeah, I can set it up with a water pan, but not sure if I need the water. Humidity is not an issue here(usually 88-90). So then,the water pan is for direct heat block. Theoretically, then, any material that block, redirect and,or absorb some of the heat would work. ie, my BGE convEGGtion stone.
                    Only worry then is the heat is forced toward the outside edges which where the meat is presently hanging. THW did I mention my XL BGE will fit inside this thing, stand and all.

In the meantime, how about that coast of Ecuador?

Comment

• TonyinEcuador
                    TonyinEcuador commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yes, beautiful sunsets. Our house sets 450 meters above the beach on a hill. I will work on some pics to share.

• EdF
                    EdF commented
                    Editing a comment
                    TonyinEcuador - Cool. Thanks!

Love me some cooking with gas. Let that hot flame burn the wood. One day I'll have an Ole Hickory.

Comment

I can't help you at all, but I did see a picture in one of Meathead's articles with a gizmo that looks alot like yours. It might give you some ideas. See the sidebar "A dissertation upon roast pig" in this article -- https://amazingribs.com/tested-recip...-char-siu-ribs

Comment

Try it with a few chickens and see how it goes. You can always build a steel firebox next to it and pipe it in. I would find someone that can weld stainless well (TIG welder) and put a big access door in the side of it and pan with wood chips.

Comment

• TonyinEcuador
                        TonyinEcuador commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Yes, I thought about that and the man I bought it from made it himself and has the equipment. Easy enough,I think.
                        Fished a lot for Golden Dorado . In Argentina, Two Sisters Lodge, on the border with Uruguay.Great BBQ and beef there.

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here