Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Competion for fun ~ the old guy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Competion for fun ~ the old guy

Okay. I am 68 years old, live in Ontario, Canada and would like to do a bit of competition within a team. So, a few questions from you wise grillers;
    1. How does one start?
    2. What grill can one do competition on and is it charcoal, pellet or other?
    3. Is one too old to start?
    4. any other questions I should be asking?
    Thanks

Howdy from Kansas Territory, Welcome to Th Pit!
    Ya'll hear from some wise folks, directly...
    (I jus happened to git here, first! )

Comment

Our resident BBQ comp pitmaster, CandySueQ offers some pointers and tips over in the Channels section called "Competition Needs" in the Competitive Cooking Channel. Other great posts as well...good luck, it can be lots of fun !!!

Think you want to try competing in barbeque? I'm starting my 11th year doing this. I've cooked out of the back of my pickup truck, in a trailer and with an

Comment

You’re to old, forget it. 😎

Comment

Go for it! You’re as young as you feel. I can’t help. I’m a backyard barbecuer. Good luck.

Comment

Go for it!! Have some fun!

Comment

Hi, Inky! You're never too old to start this. There's a fairly robust competition circuit up in Canada. Mike Callaghan is the chief cook at Team Canada BBQ in Ontario. He did really well at the World Food Championships for the last several years, competing in sandwiches, I think. Send me a PM with your email and I'll "introduce" you and Mike.

Charcoal, logs & pellet cookers are all legal in competition with sanctioning bodies. Gas or electric grills are not allowed.

Do your research and find a contest to go to and talk to competitors. You may find a team that would welcome your assistance.

Comment

• Inky
                Inky commented
                Editing a comment
                Hi CandySueQ sent you the PM. Thanks again

I think most competitions also have a "backyard" division, where amateurs and small-scale competitors can compete with ribs and ... wings, maybe? That'd be a good way to experience the scene, meet the people, and learn what the bigger scale teams are up to.

Comment

My only advice that cooking food for people to actually eat and cooking for competitions are 2 very different things. Do your research and see if it's something you're interested in but by all means go for it if it's something you think you'd dig. Definitely no age restrictions on being a good cook.

Comment

Your not that old yet! click on this link below, for discussions on comp BBQ. KCBS is a good place to start. (Kansas City BBQ Society) you become a member of the organization. there is a comp cook, in Quebec City in June, 6/8/19 thru 6/9/19 it is a BBQ and Music fest. phone 1-581-998-3821 I don't know how far it is from you.
                  All other competition talk that doesn't fit into the Cooking, Judging, or Organizing channels (please use those channels if your topic fits there).

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here