Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PBC or Gateway

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PBC or Gateway

Thinking real hard about a barrel smoker.

If the difference in price is not important, and the size difference in is not important, which is the better cooker? I always assume bigger and more expensive is better (for me)...but does that hold true here? I just don't want to "save money" and get the PBC with accessories, then later wish I had just spent the extra for the Gateway.

I looked at getting a barrel locally, then adding all the UDS parts, and it makes little sense economically speaking. Seems easier, cheaper faster to just buy the PBC or the Gateway.

Anyone else been in the same situation?

Bought a PBC based on Amazingribs review. Several coworkers bought them based on my recommendation. Now two of my sons bought one. Everyone agrees they're a great value, turn out great food, and are easy to use. Just my 2 cents. Good luck with your decision!!

Comment

I think just did this topic a couple months ago

Comment

Meant to leave the link here. I have seasoned mine but not tested it yet. Nice drum. Has pads on the bottom for casters too. When I seasoned it. I just had the basket 1/2 full of charcoal and put about 1/3 of a chimney load in. Vents wide open and it popped up to 275 and just stayed there. I think I could get more out of it if I let the charcoal run more with the lid off.

Shop best prices and most useful kamado accessories. ✔️Awesome package deals Big Green EGG & Primo Oval grills. ✔️Retail store Dallas, Fort Worth - Denton TX.

Comment

I can happily recommend the PBC based on personal experience. Got no experience with a Gateway, so nothing to offer there ...

Comment

If price is no object, then Ya might look at convenience, footprint & who ya cookin for. 8 wacks of wibs seems plenty for me, as 3 to 4 chickies. And that spells PBC. Plus ya got a lotta advice & xperience here wiff the PBC.

Comment

Originally posted by Thom Emery View Post
            I think just did this topic a couple months ago
            Link?

Comment

Or you could get a WSM 22 with hanging rack and you have a very versatile cooker that can do what a barrel can. I have a Hunsaker basket in mine and love that as well. If you must have a barrel heard good thing about the Hunsaker barrel cooker too.

Comment

• BriggsBBQ
                BriggsBBQ commented
                Editing a comment
                On another note it is easier to add casters to a barrel also if you do the gateway you do not have to lean over to adjust your vents. However WSM comes a part which is nice for moving around with no wheels or cleaning.

• dshaffes
                dshaffes commented
                Editing a comment
                I bought the Hunsaker Vortex plate for my WSM and the Gateway Rib rack and it has totally transformed the smoker. I've been using it at competitions to cook ribs and have been consistently finishing in the Top 10.

Comment

"Which is the better cooker?" That's a loaded question! I ended up going with the PBC last year but researched both the PBC and the Gateway. The main draw for me in getting the PBC was I wanted the ability to easily throw it in the back of my SUV and take it on fishing trips or weekend trips to my parents. I'm never cooking a ton of food(although the PBC can handle a lot of food) and if I would have waited a bit I could have had the PBC Jr! That would have been even easier for me to take. You can produce great BBQ on either device. If you are into accessories, the PBC has a bunch of accessories as well. You just can't go wrong with either one IMO.

Comment

I have a PBC and I am getting a Hunsaker now... PBC had zero temp control and will run hot with lump charcoal... I have been cooking low and slow so it a fast cooker was a huger game change.

Comment

• Huskee
                    Huskee commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yeah everyone will tell you, even PBC themselves, that the PBC is meant for briquettes.

I was at a competition this past weekend in upstate NY and there were a lot of Gateway drums. I saw a few Hunsakers, but Gateways were the dominant barrels.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here