Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would you use both grates on a barrel smoker to cook chicken wings?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would you use both grates on a barrel smoker to cook chicken wings?

Thought I'd check with the Pit on cooking chicken wings using both the top and bottom grates on a barrel smoker. I'd like to keep the skin crispy but wonder if the drippings will prevent me from doing that. I'll swap the top and bottom grates mid way through the cook. Once I hit an internal temp of about 170 I'll move them to a hot grill. Any thoughts from the barrel cookers of the Pit on whether the drippings will add/reduce flavor to the wings and prevent a good crispy skin?

Does your barrel cooker have a diffuser plate? I am trying to discern whether it operates like a WSM or a PBC - I have both and with a bit more info I can probably approximate to your barrel.

Comment

No diffuser. It would be like a big WSM without water bowl of course. It's a 55 gallon drum.

Comment

Mudkat, if you are rotating half way through the cook on the drum, but finishing up on a hot grill to crisp up the skin, I doubt the drippings hitting the wings on the lower rack will hurt. The grill should take care of that, right?

Comment

If the fire is hot enough (300-350) you shouldn't even need to finish on a grill.

Comment

• DWCowles
            DWCowles commented
            Editing a comment
            I agree with you.

Thanks guys! That helps a lot.Temps between 350 - 400. That's my thinking jfmorris , the grill grates should put some crisp on them no natter what! I haven't used both grates yet and I'm serving others so I don't want to anything ruiness. 😀

Comment

Mudkat there is something about cooking "indirect" but still over the coals - indirect due to distance. A couple of weeks ago I cooked a couple of thick steaks on the top rack of my 14.5 WSM with the bowl removed. I put them in really cold, partially frozen. My plan was to flip them when they hit 80 internal, which I did. And then when they hit 115 I was going to pull them, remove the center ring and put the bottom grate directly on top of the charcoal ring for a reverse sear. Unfortunately, I underestimated how quickly they'd go from 80 - 115 and when I stuck in the Thermapen they were already at 135. So, no reverse sear but you really can't even tell (pic of how they came out is below). I recommend popping your wings in the freezer an hour before going into the barrel. This will cause them to take longer to come to temp which will give the skin more time to crisp. 2 other tricks: make sure you put a little oil on the wings and if you make your own spice medley add a little baking soda to the mix - both of these will foster a crisp skin. I am doing buffalo wings in the PBC tomorrow and will be employing all of these tactics.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1377.JPG
Views:	148
Size:	127.2 KB
ID:	467286

Comment

• jfmorris
              jfmorris commented
              Editing a comment
              That steak looks awesome!

The oil is a good idea. I spray my wings with olive oil or vegetable oil and coat with a dry rub of some sort - usually something spicy like Bad Byron's Butt Rub.

That's a good idea with the WSM sear. Efficient too. I'm suprised you got the grill marks you did just cooking on the top grate. The steaks look great! Thanks for your suggestions JeffJ

Comment

• JeffJ
              JeffJ commented
              Editing a comment
              I cooked steaks again the next day and got the timing down and was able to do a reverse sear as described. Got even better color than the steaks in this pic.

I would let it rip. High temp and rotate halfway through the cook. Maybe sear over another grill after smoking.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here