Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Braunfels barrel smoker?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Braunfels barrel smoker?

Hey Guys, I just got a chance to pick up an older New Braunfels barrel smoker for almost nothing. Its like a smaller Pit Barrel cooker and nothing at all like anything that I see when I google New Braunfels. It has one bowl for charcoal/wood, one bowl for water and two cooking racks along with a hook. Does anybody know anything about this cooker?

Posting a pic of it will be more helpful.

Comment

So it's essentially laid out like a cabinet water smoker, just in a small barrel...hmmm. Never heard of it. Does it have side doors or is this a load her up once & go kinda thing?

Comment

Here are a couple of pictures.

Attached Files

Comment

• Max Good
          Max Good commented
          Editing a comment
          Wow. You may have an antique on your hands.

The side handles are just that -- handles. There's only one door for access. There's a bar and hook for hanging.

Comment

Gotcha, so it's really a cabinet smoke, just made form a barrel. Nice! Never seen one by itself though. Typically they have that kind of setup attached to the far side of an offset smoker in some of the ritzier models.

But, no bottom? How do you control the heat/air?

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
            Jerod Broussard commented
            Editing a comment
            all or nothing

• gcdmd
            gcdmd commented
            Editing a comment
            There's a vent at the top.

I think I'm going to have to make a bottom for it. Just cut some plate steel and add a vent or two. I picked it up for $20 so I've got some room to play with it. It's very heavy and solid.

Comment

• Huskee
            Huskee commented
            Editing a comment
            Nice! If you can make that baby air tight with tight vents (so you're in control) you'll be in great shape!

• gcdmd
            gcdmd commented
            Editing a comment
            It looks like there are some flanges on the bottom which may have held a plate that has since rusted away.

• Bathgate
            Bathgate commented
            Editing a comment
            What's strange is that it doesn't look like there's enough rust to have done that. We've got a good local blacksmith and welder. I may take it to him to see what he could do.

Hummm! I don’t think I have seen one before.

Comment

Not sure how old it is but the guy I got it from said he hadn't used it in 10 years so at least 10+.

Comment

My wife is starting to get nervous about the collection. This one is in addition to a Weber Performer with SnS and a small Big Green Egg. Can't have too many, right?

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
                Jerod Broussard commented
                Editing a comment
                N+1 is all you ever need

• FireMan
                FireMan commented
                Editing a comment
                Just don’t forget to tell her how pretty her feet look in all those shoes she has & then all saws cut wood but carpenters need different cuts, ya know the routine.

Originally posted by Bathgate View Post
              My wife is starting to get nervous about the collection. This one is in addition to a Weber Performer with SnS and a small Big Green Egg. Can't have too many, right?
              Never too many! You, my friend, may just have yourself a case of MCS!

Comment

• Steve B
                Steve B commented
                Editing a comment
                Do you think.

• FireMan
                FireMan commented
                Editing a comment
                Ahhhhh! Just breath in the fumes of MCS. They are good.

Lol.

Comment

• FireMan
                FireMan commented
                Editing a comment
                Yes laugh my friend, but always plot & plan ahead.

Really cool looking contraption ya got there. I like it.

Comment

That’s cool! I’d love to play with that thing! Awesome score.

Comment

Yeah, if I get that bottom made right and get it air tight I'll have a decent little smoker. MCS for sure. But I know it as GAS. I'm also into photography so my case of GAS extends to that hobby too. Hey, darling, those are some beautiful shoes! haha

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here