Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PBC vs UDS - Trying to decide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PBC vs UDS - Trying to decide

I have been cooking on a Weber kettle for a while and am interested in getting a drum smoker next...I am between a PBC or a UDS using the Big Poppa Smokers kit.

I like the PBC because it seems like it is fairly KISS to use, I imagine the UDS is probably the same once you get it dialed in...I also like the fact that it will be easier to transport if I want to take it somewhere to cook...

My biggest concern with the PBC is that it is smaller than the UDS...for most of my cooks that would not be an issue plus if I need more space I can also use the Weber...

Please provide any pros and cons you have with either one...especially if you have experience with both...

thanks,

CLB239

The PBC is a great cooker. For the money, it really does not get any better. You can cook A LOT of food in the PBC. I just did 6 ribs the other day with no problem. When you are hanging the meat, you really increase your capacity.
    I have never ran a "UDS" but I would buy (and might soon) another PBC. They are a great company, great people and they sell a quality product that works!

Comment

• Blue Lou
      Blue Lou commented
      Editing a comment
      Lsg?

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Lone Star Grillz. Blue Lou

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      You getting that stick burner from LSG Spinaker ? SWEET !!!

Wait, just realized this is a bumped thread. Dis you ever get that cooker anyway????

I went with the Pit Barrel trying to decide b/n the two. Probably came as close as you can get to ordering the Big Poppa Kit. Looked up barrels, the whole 8.9 yards.

The most I've done is 5 briskets or 3 good sized butts. The butts I leave hanging the whole time. For briskets I have to go to the grate to bark up enough for my liking so 4 is the most practical since I have to double stack.

Comment

For piece of mind and not having to go to different websites or make phone calls looking for a food grade 55 gallon drum to use the kit from Big Poppa Smokers (I, too have looked), go w/ the PBC for $300 delivered to your door and for all the reasons our two great moderators mention before me. I own a PBC myself and it is a wonderful cooker.

Comment

Me too. Go PBC my friend. You will not regret it and if you need to cook for 20+ then just get two!

Comment

Thank you for the responses...I am going with the the PBC next...

Between the Weber Kettle I already have and the PK grill I am restoring...the PBC will be a great addition...

Comment

You've made the right choice! PBC is one of the best bang for buck cookers out there!

Sure it costs double the BPS kit, but it's ready to cook on 5 minutes after delivery whereas the BPS would involve burning out the barrel, and making it yourself. If you're like me, you'd probably have to buy a couple of tools to do the job

I've had my PBC for 4 or 5 years, and I'd buy another in a heartbeat. I've used it for smallish cooks, but I've also had larger cooks, like 8 racks of ribs or 3 pork shoulders, on at the one time

I'd recommend the ash catcher and the cover, but they're not necessary.

Comment

Ditto on the PBC! It's 'fire and forget'. If SWMBO requires you to run to the store for something, there's really no impact on your final product. You'll probably note some people measuring PBC temps and that temps do fluctuate. The cool thing about it is that the cook times don't vary significantly because of it.

Comment

Im also contimplating buying a PBC and selling my BX50. For $300 shipped it seems like a no brainer but its hard to part with my BX50 since i waited so long to get it. Although i could sell the BX50 and buy two PBC's and still have money leftover for something else to buy...maybe a lang 48 deluxe ???

Comment

• Spinaker
                Spinaker commented
                Editing a comment
                You'd need to chip in some cash for a Lang 48. Them babies aint cheap! But the PBC is a great add on to any arsenal. I'd keep the BX50 and just order a PBC. They are great to have around.

Originally posted by Blue Lou View Post
              Swmbo??
              "She who must be obeyed" also known as the spousal unit who keeps my MCS in check :-)

Comment

A lot of PBC fans here including me. Really can't go wrong with it.

Comment

Over here in the United Kingdom, our choice is quite limited so I have a Bristol Drum Smoker which is really just a Big Poppa's Smoker with different graphics. Mine is in a lovely purple colour and I love it. It goes for hours with minimal attention. I have attached my CyberQ Wifi now so it really is hands-free ....
                  Click image for larger version  Name:	1.jpg Views:	1 Size:	212.9 KB ID:	340633

Comment

• Polarbear777
                    Polarbear777 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Where and how did you connect the fan port?

• DavidBondy
                    DavidBondy commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Big Poppa sell an adapter which replaces one of the sliding lower vents and has the port for the fan.

I vote PBC (surprise, surprise) for ease of use, large cooks (3+ chickens or 8 racks of ribs or 4+ chuck roasts) and small cooks turn out equally well, price, customer support from fine folks, and lots of users here on the Pit who can answer any questions to get that puppy tweaked so it runs predictably and well if you want to play with it more. It runs great right out of the box, too.

Kathryn

Comment

I'm definitely going with the PBC. Now need to get the $$$$....the new radiator I had to put in my jeep to get home from a friend's house yesterday put a dent in the funds and the new brakes needed to pass inspection will eat the rest of the grill funds and then some...

Comment

Originally posted by dirtybird37 View Post
                      Im also contimplating buying a PBC and selling my BX50. For $300 shipped it seems like a no brainer but its hard to part with my BX50 since i waited so long to get it. Although i could sell the BX50 and buy two PBC's and still have money leftover for something else to buy...maybe a lang 48 deluxe ???
                      Neighbor behind me has a Lang 48 Deluxe and wants $2500 for it. It stares at me everyday just asking for me to buy it. He never uses it and it just sits there under a tarp. Still debating on PBC or others.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here