Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Not wanting to open a can of worms, just asking"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• w0nq
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks, overhauled that one a few months ago & it sees a lot of use.

• fzxdoc
    replied
    The PBC can cook low 'n slow all day long if you want it to. I get 10 hours out of one load of KBB coals, on average, at 225 Pit temp. You can reload or Texas crutch the meat in an oven. Harry Soo says that it makes no difference whether a meat is Texas crutched in a 225 degree oven or in a smoker at the same temp. I've tried it and I agree with him, so I don't usually have the need to reload the coals. If I do reload, I remove the meat first because adding new coals to a PBC kicks up a ton of ash. I give it time to resettle and then add the meat back in.

Kathryn

Leave a comment:

• JeffJ
    replied
    I can't answer your question. I am just pointing out that I love the vintage Weber gasser in your signature. I had that exact unit as my first gas grill. It got a TON of use and the button starter never died. I kept it for about 10 years and decided I wanted a new grill. I sold it for $75 at a garage sale.

Leave a comment:

• grezs
    replied
    Go to the PBC sub forum and look for "Dialing in PBC temperature". You can go from low and slow 225-235 to high temps by foiling the rod openings or cracking the lid.

Leave a comment:

• w0nq
    started a topic Not wanting to open a can of worms, just asking"

Not wanting to open a can of worms, just asking"

I'm ready to pick up a dedicated smoker. I need a little more capacity than my kettle/sns give me at times. I have read up on the PBC as much as humanly possible, as well as WSM. Both versatile units and highly regarded/respected cookers in their own right.
    I am seeing the benefit of a fast & hot cook that the PBC offers. Speeding up routine cooks, not a bad thing sometimes. If I went 18.5 WSM, I presume I could I could amp it up for a hot & fast as well if I wanted to. I wonder though, can I dial down the PBC for a low & slow if the urge hit to do so?
    Looking for opinions on versatility really. I always liked the WSM but love the simplistic nature of the PBC.
    Crap.....I'm gonna need 'em both but that'll never fly.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here