Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Old Smokey" Owner Here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Old Smokey" Owner Here

Anyone else out there own a drum/barrel smoker from these guys? I'm sure some of you are charcoal/wood fired purists that see a smoker with an electric element as blasphemy, LOL.

A good friend of mine recommended this and it helped to get me into the smoking game over a year ago. I love it because a fool like me can use it and get reasonably decent results.

Just wondering if there are other "Old Smokey" owners here...would welcome the fellowship and any tips/tricks you have cooking on this bad boy. Thanks!
    Last edited by bunky2021; March 4, 2022, 06:20 AM.

All I've got.

Songs - Traditional - On Top of Old Smokey - Bing video

Comment

• bunky2021
      bunky2021 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hilarious...never even made the connection here. Thanks, Hawker!

I’m assuming this is what you have? If so, I had one of these for exactly one cook. Until I got my first kettle ten years or so ago, I always had a Smoky Joe charcoal grill. Went through several of those over the years. But, their electric smoker, I was one and done. I cooked a chicken in it as my first and only cook. It came out tough and rubbery, wound up throwing the chicken in the garbage and giving away the electric smoker. That being said, I had no experience with any type of electric smoker and maybe I should have given it more of a chance. I also wasn’t too crazy about trying to get smoke from wood chips laid on an electric heating element. Knowing what I know now and with the cookers I have, its just not for me. I’m really glad it’s working out for you though…what have you cooked on it so far with good results?

Click image for larger version  Name:	F8F3089A-1BE9-408F-8148-90C1A3206F01.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	29.4 KB ID:	1184218
    Last edited by Panhead John; March 4, 2022, 07:23 AM.

Comment

• gcdmd
      gcdmd commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm sorry about your bad experience, John. Did yours have the adjustable heat source? Judging from the picture, I would say not. I have the adjustable one and use it regularly and have had good results for many years.

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      It’s been a long time ago, but I’m assuming it was adjustable. I don’t really remember all the details except that one chicken cook did it for me. I probably should have given it more of a chance though, one cook isn’t enough to really form an honest opinion.

• bunky2021
      bunky2021 commented
      Editing a comment
      We have had good success with butts, chicken and turkey. Throwing some chicken thighs on this joker later today.

We haven't had any meals come off of it that were bad, but I started off with butts which are very forgiving and logged smoker/meat temp info every 15 mins, along with ambient temps/weather on the day I cooked.

Then I was able to go back and review my notes prior to each additional cook and reinforce the learnings [Yeah, this is anal retentive but it's really helped me].

I have used their charcoal and electric cookers for years. Now I use mostly the electric one. At one time I used the lower half of the medium charcoal cooker as a fire box and put the large one on top of it with the bottom vent open as the smoking chamber.

Comment

You betcha, I've had several of those rigs. Had a couple 18" and then bought a 22" after that. They are darn good cookers, nearly as good as kettles. They are flimsy galvanized sheet metal but if you keep them cleaned out they last for quite a while. Best bang for the buck out there. The 18" are still like $50 at ACE or Home Depot.

Comment

• Panhead John
        Panhead John commented
        Editing a comment
        Steve, he’s talking about the electric smokers from Old Smoky…

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        So what are you saying? You calling me poor? I don't have the high falootin' custom deluxe electric model? Well excuzzzzzzzzze meeeeeee !!!!

• bunky2021
        bunky2021 commented
        Editing a comment
        Their charcoal grills are also legit and have a strong following.

I started my smoking journey with an electric, a Bradley Smoker, and had great success with it. Forget what others have to say, you do you.

Comment

I picked up a Masterbuilt Electric floor model that I'm going to be putting into service after the weather breaks. I have a buddy that does natural casing wieners and such in his and they come out great. Electric probably gives you the best control over heat.

Comment

I've had an Old Smokey electric for MANY years (30+). It's been a very effective little smoker and has produced excellent results ... especially with birds (mainly chickens and the occasional turkey). Because it's very tightly sealed (and therefore produces a lot of moisture), you can forget about crispy skin (no problem if the wife always prefers to remove it) but the meat is invariably tender with plenty of smoke flavor. It's perfect for apartment dwellers because there's no scary flames to upset property management and it has a very small footprint ... making it suitable for those small, almost token, balconies that apartments tend to offer.

These days, it sits unused in the garage but if I ever need it to supplement my regular cooker(s) it's still ready to go ...

Comment

• Panhead John
            Panhead John commented
            Editing a comment
            Well, I’m definitely in the minority here. Apparently I got too impatient and didn’t give it a chance. 😵‍💫

• MBMorgan
            MBMorgan commented
            Editing a comment
            Panhead John - I bought the Old Hickory long before I really got heavily into cooking of any sort ... and my "technique" amounted to:

1. Season/flavor with whatever rub looked interesting
            2. Add a pile of chips (not soaked)
            3. Seal in cooker
            4. Apply heat (usually maximum) until the protein was basically just falling apart (not to mention off the bone)

Somehow it worked in spite of my half-assed efforts. I credit Old Hickory folks with every success ... and blame the cat for everything bad
            Last edited by MBMorgan; March 4, 2022, 12:48 PM.

• Panhead John
            Panhead John commented
            Editing a comment
            Damn cat, that’s probably what happened to me too….🙄

We split our time between the NC High Country and our longtime home in eastern North Carolina.

It being electric was one thing that attracted me to it; a constant heat source that doesn't require technique or know-how. That allowed me to focus on preparation/cooking of the dishes, which was great for a newbie.

Plus, it being an electric cooker (no open flame) means I can also use it at our mountain condo. Very convenient!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here