Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

For the Best Q Flavor: PBC or WSM?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Livermoron
    commented on 's reply
    I faced that quandry when I was considering replacing my WSM with a PBC. I have the kettle with a few accessories and love it for grilling. I finally went with the PBC because I don't have to cram or coil ribs on it, and the PBC gave me roughly twice the smoking capacity for the same "footprint" on my patio...

• JeffJ
    replied
    Originally posted by Ernest View Post
    Michael Brent The PBC is not a smoker, it's an outdoor cooker that can smoke (and grill). The WSM is meant to be a smoker.
    Ernest points out an important distinction between the 2 devices that triggered a thought. When choosing between the 2 I think the answer may depend on which other products you already have. For me, I already have a Weber kettle with the Smokenator. Kettles are incredibly versatile and I wouldn't view the PBC's ability to grill as an advantage over a more purpose-built device like the WSM. My point is I don't think very many would opt to grill on a PBC over a kettle if they had the choice. So, in this scenario I find the single-purpose device more appealing. But, if all you have is a gas grill and you want to add a charcoal smoker and once in awhile grill over charcoal, then the PBC wins on versatility. On the other hand, if you really like to tinker with your smoking (like using the water bowl) the WSM offers greater versatility when it comes down to smoking.

Leave a comment:

• _John_
    replied
    I love my PBC, especially the efficiency, but I rarely cook so little I can use it any more. It is still my go to rib machine, plenty of room for that.

Leave a comment:

• Ernest
    replied
    Michael Brent The PBC is not a smoker, it's an outdoor cooker that can smoke (and grill). The WSM is meant to be a smoker.
    There was a time when I was using lump charcoal in my PBC 99% of the time with great results. You just have to become one with your PBC.

Leave a comment:

• JeffJ
    replied
    I don't own a PBC and have never cooked on one. The one thing I love about my WSM is the water bowl. I love how steam applies smoke during the early stages of the cook and the moisture it delivers early - I only fill it part way because, at least in the 14.5" WSM, it creates so much humidity that bark won't develop while it's steaming. Also, I've never had to fish a piece of meat out of the coals in my WSM. Not many PBC owners can make the same claim.

Leave a comment:

• BigBear
    replied
    You won't be disappointed. I can't offer an apples to apples comparison because I've never cooked on a WSM, but I did have a Large Big Green Egg before and much prefer the Pit Barrel Cooker.

Leave a comment:

• Michael Brent
    replied
    Thanks for the feedback. PBC it will be.

Leave a comment:

• smarkley
    commented on 's reply
    The voice of reason and experience! I agree with your comments wholeheartedly!

• Livermoron
    replied
    I sent my WSM to my niece and picked up the PBC. Still learning on it, but it seems to produce the same "taste" with less wood (I burn Kingsford and supplement with wood chunks).

Leave a comment:

• _John_
    replied
    I have both and have cooked on both at the same time and couldn't tell a difference. I have not however burned wood only in the WSM which it sounds like you are suggesting.

Leave a comment:

• cosmo
    replied
    PBC pork butt

Leave a comment:

• Hondo
    replied
    Both are exceptional, high quality cookers. Flavor is the pit masters job... due to this fact, I would not make a purchase decision based on this.

The WSM is infinitely adjustable and a tinkerers dream... the PBC is more of a set it and forget it cooker... this is the criteria I would use when deciding between these two...

Either will consistently crank out great Q if the pit master is doing their job...
    Last edited by Hondo; October 10, 2015, 05:28 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Spinaker
    replied
    Well I'd say this is gonna taste pretty damn fine!! 1-0 PBC Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4071-1.JPG
Views:	177
Size:	215.2 KB
ID:	115034

Leave a comment:

• ronron240z
    replied
    Briquettes is what is recommended by PBC however I know some cooks who use lump and their food turns out great. I have the PBC but i have only cooked on it once. will be cooking salmon and a shoulder this weekend. i will post pics

Leave a comment:

• Michael Brent
    replied
    The PBC appears to be infinitely more simpler to use and set up, whereas the WSM has many modifications and all kinds of gadgetry to make it work right (from first view). I would prefer the perceived simplicity of the PBC, but not if it is going to sacrifice flavor by forcing me to only use briquettes in the PBC. Conversely, how many of you only use briquettes in your WSM. Why bother adding wood to the WSM if the flavor tastes about the same using the PBC?

Leave a comment:

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/bbq-stars","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/tuffy-stone","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/meathead","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/harry-soo","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/matt-pittman","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/kent-rollins","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/dean-fearing","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/tim-grandinetti","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/kent-phillips-brett-gallaway","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/david-bouska","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/ariane-daguin","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/jack-arnold","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here