Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

For the Best Q Flavor: PBC or WSM?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I sent my WSM to my niece and picked up the PBC. Still learning on it, but it seems to produce the same "taste" with less wood (I burn Kingsford and supplement with wood chunks).

Comment

Thanks for the feedback. PBC it will be.

Comment

You won't be disappointed. I can't offer an apples to apples comparison because I've never cooked on a WSM, but I did have a Large Big Green Egg before and much prefer the Pit Barrel Cooker.

Comment

I don't own a PBC and have never cooked on one. The one thing I love about my WSM is the water bowl. I love how steam applies smoke during the early stages of the cook and the moisture it delivers early - I only fill it part way because, at least in the 14.5" WSM, it creates so much humidity that bark won't develop while it's steaming. Also, I've never had to fish a piece of meat out of the coals in my WSM. Not many PBC owners can make the same claim.

Comment

Michael Brent The PBC is not a smoker, it's an outdoor cooker that can smoke (and grill). The WSM is meant to be a smoker.
            There was a time when I was using lump charcoal in my PBC 99% of the time with great results. You just have to become one with your PBC.

Comment

I love my PBC, especially the efficiency, but I rarely cook so little I can use it any more. It is still my go to rib machine, plenty of room for that.

Comment

Originally posted by Ernest View Post
                Michael Brent The PBC is not a smoker, it's an outdoor cooker that can smoke (and grill). The WSM is meant to be a smoker.
                Ernest points out an important distinction between the 2 devices that triggered a thought. When choosing between the 2 I think the answer may depend on which other products you already have. For me, I already have a Weber kettle with the Smokenator. Kettles are incredibly versatile and I wouldn't view the PBC's ability to grill as an advantage over a more purpose-built device like the WSM. My point is I don't think very many would opt to grill on a PBC over a kettle if they had the choice. So, in this scenario I find the single-purpose device more appealing. But, if all you have is a gas grill and you want to add a charcoal smoker and once in awhile grill over charcoal, then the PBC wins on versatility. On the other hand, if you really like to tinker with your smoking (like using the water bowl) the WSM offers greater versatility when it comes down to smoking.

Comment

• Livermoron
                  Livermoron commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I faced that quandry when I was considering replacing my WSM with a PBC. I have the kettle with a few accessories and love it for grilling. I finally went with the PBC because I don't have to cram or coil ribs on it, and the PBC gave me roughly twice the smoking capacity for the same "footprint" on my patio...

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here