Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

For the Best Q Flavor: PBC or WSM?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For the Best Q Flavor: PBC or WSM?

Which is it: PBCooker using Briquettes or WSM using water pan and mesquite wood?

I see this is your first post... Welcome Aboard, Michael

Well you have opened a huge can of worms! My answer is, they are both good. Normally would use briquettes and chunks of wood in either one. So flavor difference is probably none... JMHO

Comment

Welcome to the Pit!! I am with Steve. I always use wood chunks in my PBC cooks. I'd say the difference is negligible.

Comment

This is a question I've long pondered. We have at least one person on this site who has both. I would love to see a side-to-side comparison test. I only have a WSM and it produces extremely good Q.

Comment

JMO but whatever you cook in is just a tool. The variables that make it good, quality of meat, brining & rubs, what wood you're smoldering and how diligently one follows good technique and temps throughout the cook , that is what makes the good stuff.

Comment

Different flavors due to the "drip factor". I think a PBC gives you more of a roast but tighter texture than WSM.
            Now if you are going to use mesquite wood in the PBC make sure you place it directly under burning coals.

Comment

Welcome to the Pit, Michael Brent You will learn a lot on this Site, I think I was in Kindergarten when I signed up, I haven't got a progress report yet? Dan

Comment

That's a really subjective question there. I guess it depends on your taste preferences, but at the end of the day it is about which one can you use to best achieve a steady temp and the right level of smoke.

I've cooked on the WSM and on an UDS but not the PBC itself. I have also seen guys turn out amazing food from a lot of other cookers. One is not inherently better than the other. Just a matter of how you manipulate them.

Both are in the same price range and have similar space requirements and capacity. You'll find acolytes for both cookers here. The cooker is just a tool. Neither automatically cranks out good food.
                Last edited by leftwngr; October 6, 2015, 07:08 PM.

Comment

So here is the follow-up question. With the PBC, one can only use briquettes, thus it seems to me that the PBC is more of a weber kettle cooker. The WSM is more of a smoker, in that you can use wood in the WSM wheras in the PBC, it is strictly recommended to use briquettes. Am I correct here?

Comment

The PBC appears to be infinitely more simpler to use and set up, whereas the WSM has many modifications and all kinds of gadgetry to make it work right (from first view). I would prefer the perceived simplicity of the PBC, but not if it is going to sacrifice flavor by forcing me to only use briquettes in the PBC. Conversely, how many of you only use briquettes in your WSM. Why bother adding wood to the WSM if the flavor tastes about the same using the PBC?

Comment

Briquettes is what is recommended by PBC however I know some cooks who use lump and their food turns out great. I have the PBC but i have only cooked on it once. will be cooking salmon and a shoulder this weekend. i will post pics

Comment

Well I'd say this is gonna taste pretty damn fine!! 1-0 PBC Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4071-1.JPG
Views:	162
Size:	215.2 KB
ID:	115034

Comment

Both are exceptional, high quality cookers. Flavor is the pit masters job... due to this fact, I would not make a purchase decision based on this.

The WSM is infinitely adjustable and a tinkerers dream... the PBC is more of a set it and forget it cooker... this is the criteria I would use when deciding between these two...

Either will consistently crank out great Q if the pit master is doing their job...
                          Last edited by Hondo; October 10, 2015, 05:28 AM.

Comment

• smarkley
                            smarkley commented
                            Editing a comment
                            The voice of reason and experience! I agree with your comments wholeheartedly!

PBC pork butt

Comment

I have both and have cooked on both at the same time and couldn't tell a difference. I have not however burned wood only in the WSM which it sounds like you are suggesting.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                            No announcement yet.
                            Working...
                            X
                            false
                            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                            false
                            false
                            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                            Yes
                            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here