Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First burn on the Big Poppa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First burn on the Big Poppa

So I found a great (free) deal on a Big Poppa smoker. Dude won it in a raffle and didn’t want it. Had a bit of wear and tear but overall sound.

Took a small bag of no-name lump, lit 1/2 the lump in a chimney until it felt lit then dumped it on the other 1/2 for about a 2/3 load in the basket.

Kicked the bottoms vents open full tilt until it seemed like it was going then close them all but one full hole. Ambient temp was around 98 degrees. I’ll be darned it if didn’t settle in at 250 and maintain that without any further input. Cooked a cheap load of chicken legs for a while then took the lid off and kicked the vents open, crisped them up just right.

This is basically a fancy UDS but boy was I impressed with how it ran. The main difference is my home brewed drums are more airtight, but it still extinguished the basket afte being shut down. I think it is going to be the shiz for pulled pork, that’s the next test.
    Last edited by bmillin; July 18, 2021, 07:38 PM.

Looking forward to some photos of it in action. And, congratulations on the find, free is hard to beat.

Comment

Congrats!

Comment

Right on, jumping right in here!! FYI, there's a saying that circulates through the pages, more of an unofficial "rule", if you will, that states if there's no pics then it didn't happen. I perceive it to be more of a suggestion, but I also hear voices that no one else does...

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here