Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Simple DYI 55 Gallon UDS Directions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Simple DYI 55 Gallon UDS Directions?

Hi All,

I'm considering building my own 55 Gallon ugly drum smoker (UDS). Does anyone have any recommendations for a place to get simple no weld directions/instructions? I'm trying to keep the cost down and the directions simple. Also, any recommendations for a DYI cover for the UDS?

This seems like it will be a good project to work on over the next few weeks. I'm hoping to have a few cook on it by the end of summer.

Thanks all!

Mudkat has built one.

Comment

Design your own, plan your build, build your plan. Good Luck.

Comment

So, unless you just want to do this for the hell of it, I'd consider the cost vs simply buying a PBC. I mean, the first thing you need to do is source a safe drum. Which means that if it's been used, you need to know what it was used for.

But hey, if you just wanna F around and do it for fun... go for it! I'd look at product photos of the PBC to get an idea of where to drill etc.

Comment

• Matt Bykowski
          Matt Bykowski commented
          Editing a comment
          I've can get a food grade drum, just thinking about goofing around with something. We'll see, poking around it looks like a fun idea, but I want to keep it simple and cheap. Thanks.

Check HERE

If you build it Meat will come

Comment

Big Poppa Smokers has drum kits.

DIY Drum Smoker Kit & Parts (bigpoppasmokers.com)

Comment

I've looked into this myself, and there is a lot of info online. At the very simple end, you can actually use the metal drum lid as the lid if the smoker. Other folk find a sacrificial 22" weber kettle and use that as their lid - it seems to fit the drums pretty easily. Beyond that, you just drill holes and install 2 to 4 pipe nipples and ball valves near the bottom to give you temp control, make a charcoal basket, and insert some screws from the sides at the levels you want to put some cheap Weber 22" kettle grates inside the drum.

As others say, you need to consider the prior use of the drum, needs to be food grade if previously used. You want an UNLINED barrel for sure. Then burn off any paint, make your holes and such, and start cooking.

Something along the lines of the steps this page uses:

In a nutshell, it goes like this… get a 55-gallon drum, then strategically drill a bunch of holes into it. Here's the detailed walkthrough...

Comment

• Matt Bykowski
              Matt Bykowski commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks, that is the website I was eyeballing. Just wondering if there might be others to checkout that are as descriptive.

Cheers.

And please don't use anything galvanized. When galvanization gets hot enough, it emits toxic gasses.

Comment

• jpietrantone
              jpietrantone commented
              Editing a comment
              Amen. I built one and used all stainless hardware and expanded metal for the engine.

• Matt Bykowski
              Matt Bykowski commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks for the warning! I was specifically wondering about using a galvanized bucket for a charcoal basket.

Here’s a step by stepper of a UDS I built for a little over $300. There are cheaper ways of going about it but it may help you form a plan.

I love cooking on this thing. You can PM me if you want or just post your build here. We all love watching something take shape!

I am in the process of building my Ugly Drum Smoker so I thought I would get some things posted of my progress. I've had some problems uploading pics recently so

Teaser:

Prime coat

Click image for larger version

Name:	E8B0AD00-9F9C-47A1-A9B8-467DAE05718F.jpeg
Views:	247
Size:	138.5 KB
ID:	1049660

Comment

These guys have a decent you tube channel too.

Comment

Originally posted by Mudkat View Post
                Here’s a step by stepper of a UDS I built for a little over $300. There are cheaper ways of going about it but it may help you form a plan.

I love cooking on this thing. You can PM me if you want or just post your build here. We all love watching something take shape!

I am in the process of building my Ugly Drum Smoker so I thought I would get some things posted of my progress. I've had some problems uploading pics recently so

Teaser:

Prime coat

Click image for larger version

Name:	E8B0AD00-9F9C-47A1-A9B8-467DAE05718F.jpeg
Views:	247
Size:	138.5 KB
ID:	1049660
                Very nice, thanks for sharing. I'm still considering this, but am a little on the fence about it. We'll see. Thanks.

Comment

• jpietrantone
                  jpietrantone commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I was too. That all went away once drilling my first hole. I loved the process!

• Matt Bykowski
                  Matt Bykowski commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks, that is encouraging.

I totally get wanting to build your own cooker, but as mentioned above the PBC, WSM and Bronco’s are all good cookers. I own a PBC and WSM, love them both. I was considering a Hunsaker and building my own but decided to get the WSM22.

This is the fun part of our hobby, the research and seeing all the options out there.

Comment

• Matt Bykowski
                  Matt Bykowski commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Great info. Thank you!

• Mudkat
                  Mudkat commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I go back and forth on wether I should have cut a door in my barrel. In the end I didn’t want to put more holes in it and that’s a big one. 😀

I have a 14.5 WSM and love the door in that. As far as cooking better ribs. I don’t know. Most likely it’s about knowing your cooker. I do like putting a water bowl in mine though. Don’t know much about that in a PBC.

• Matt Bykowski
                  Matt Bykowski commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks.

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here