Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Breakfast Quesadillas... on the OKJ Bronco?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Breakfast Quesadillas... on the OKJ Bronco?

Bless her heart, my wife got me this OKJ Griddle for Christmas, and sure enough - it fits the Bronco (replaces the cooking grate), although the handles prevent the lid from closing. I seasoned it last weekend, which wasn’t easy since I had to tilt it front to back to get it to fit in our oven, but got it done. I have zero cooking skills, so I’m dropping this in the Bronco channel to show the accessory and versatility of the cooker as opposed to anything about the "recipe".

I put the Bronco in grilling mode this morning (inverted baffle with the charcoal basket sitting on top of the baffle), added a lit chimney of briquettes, put the griddle in place (it rests on the same supports as the cooking grate), let it preheat for several minutes and got to griddling. Overall first impressions:
    • I really wasn’t sure how much charcoal to use, how hot it’d get, etc. The one chimney worked well tho from the aspect of getting hot enough to cook the potatoes (preheated some oil and it popped good when I dropped them on) but not so hot it scorched other things. Eggs cooked it about 30 seconds but weren’t overdone. The homemade bacon lardons were perfect as well.
    • It also heated more evenly than I expected. The 2-3” on the outer edge is cooler if you need to move something "off".
    • ​​​​​​​I was really pleased with the surface, it was slicker than snot on a doorknob. Had zero issues with anything even thinking about sticking. They say it comes seasoned, but tell you to give it a couple more coats with vegetable oil. I did 3 more coats with flaxseed oil I had leftover from restoring my wife’s grandma’s CI. Care is basically the same as CI, we’ll see how it holds up.
    • I was also surprised my wife immediately said she detected a "grilled" flavor she liked. I suspect she just wants to put me to work and keep her kitchen clean.
    Anyway, here are the obligatory "it happened" pics:

Click image for larger version

Name:	E5BD775E-40E9-4F76-92AC-FFF660F87A4C.jpeg
Views:	150
Size:	259.7 KB
ID:	964748

Name:	7A246EB7-4BC1-4692-8F19-D708875C16A0.jpeg
Views:	171
Size:	233.7 KB
ID:	964746

Name:	1DA2FCAF-B08C-4F6F-904E-14883C6CFA2C.jpeg
Views:	147
Size:	281.5 KB
ID:	964750

Name:	394C663E-CB3B-40ED-B693-0EF2D2E0E429.jpeg
Views:	159
Size:	287.4 KB
ID:	964753

Name:	8FC7E316-B351-4167-A85E-561B4F6411CA.jpeg
Views:	162
Size:	281.0 KB
ID:	964751

Name:	D6485804-0B04-444E-9587-A8DA4BA1E999.jpeg
Views:	148
Size:	221.4 KB
ID:	964747

Name:	569D5F2A-FF84-4115-A918-5E02170A04C6.jpeg
Views:	146
Size:	271.0 KB
ID:	964749

Name:	CDDF4E95-E681-4FF5-8A59-18B86E66698E.jpeg
Views:	147
Size:	244.3 KB
ID:	964752

Name:	B2379F36-ADDE-4B03-88AC-C5F0B7E7FEF8.jpeg
Views:	199
Size:	165.1 KB
ID:	964745
    ​​​​​​​
    OJB...Ojb... ojb...

Wow! Don't that look like fun. Doesn't choke airflow?

..., ..., ...!

Comment

• FishTalesNC
      FishTalesNC commented
      Editing a comment
      Great question, I forgot to mention that in my bulleted points... I was concerned about that too, but didn’t have any issues. Bottom vent was fully open, the griddle doesn’t "seal" when it sits on top tho there isn’t much room. After the cook I moved the griddle off, and the charcoal basket was doing just fine, no choking at all. 👍🏻

Wow, the food looks great!! And no mess in the kitchen.

Comment

I'd eat that!

Comment

Yup, that breakfast looks like a great way to start any day!

Fine Job!!!

Guessin yer hooked, now? No kitchen to haveta clean?

Flattop cookin is dang dang fun!

Comment

• FishTalesNC
          FishTalesNC commented
          Editing a comment
          This is undoubtedly a slippery slope Mr. Bones !! 👍🏻

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here