Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Big Butts on the Bronco & a Mid-Cook Refuel - All for UNCH BMTU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Big Butts on the Bronco & a Mid-Cook Refuel - All for UNCH BMTU

Quick background... my place of employment for 27 years now (Intuit) has a "We Care & Give Back" core value. They back this up by giving us paid time off each year specific to this activity, up to a week. This year, I guess due to COVID, the options for the activities were a lot less strict and included "acts of kindness" in your neighborhood. So... I was able to take off Wed & Thur to smoke a couple of butts and feed the good folks at the BMTU at UNC Cancer Hospital where my wife works (after getting special approval to bring in outside food)!

I found a couple of 10.5 lb butts at Sams Club. Trimmed and dry brined them for 24 hours, then used a Worcestershire binder and rubbed them down. I had just enough Meat Church Honey Hog Hot and Kosmos Q Honey Killer Bee, I decided to mix them together and just used up those bottles. Tasted great together actually.

I fired up the Bronco in my usual way, though with KBB instead of Weber. As noted on another thread - Weber briquettes have been discontinued (ugh) and this was my go-to for long cooks! Tossed a couple of applewood chunks in there, my fave for pork. 30 min to light, and read to preheat. In this pic, its a bit deceiving but that charcoal basket was full - I couldn't fit another briquette under the handle.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1192.jpg
Views:	561
Size:	242.4 KB
ID:	912887
    I got the butts on at 8:30am. I did 3 butts once on my PBC on the grate, but had cut each in half and they were ~8 lbers. These 10+ lbers uncut were a tight squeeze, but they fit!

Name:	IMG_1193.jpg
Views:	403
Size:	279.4 KB
ID:	912890
    I ran most of the cook at 285-300F. And much to my chagrin, 3 hours later my temps started falling and another 90 min after that I was down to 235F and plummeting, so... decision time, and I was feeling stubborn and rather than just wrapping and moving to the oven, I decided to refuel and keep the smoke rolling! I've flipped the Bronco from smoker to grill several times now, but hadn't refueled it yet. If I'd planned better, I'd have had a lit chimney ready to go, but I didn't. It was still a surprisingly easy process that only took 5 min from the time I walked out the door to the time I walked back in. This was the fuel situation when I checked on it:

Name:	IMG_1194.jpg
Views:	404
Size:	258.0 KB
ID:	912891

And the butt situation at that time, I just lifted the cooking grate out and sat it on my stainless steel surface while I refueled, Fireboard probes were plenty long enough:

Name:	IMG_1195.jpg
Views:	401
Size:	288.8 KB
ID:	912892

15 min later I was back up to temp and smoking again, though with more white smoke than I'd care to admit since I had to use fresh unlit briquettes (shhh). At 3:30pm, after 8 total hours they hit 203F IT and were probe tender everywhere.

Name:	IMG_1197.jpg
Views:	394
Size:	294.8 KB
ID:	912889

I let them sit in the hold for 90 min, then I chopped them up. This is just one butt.

Name:	IMG_1198.jpg
Views:	395
Size:	234.8 KB
ID:	912888

Each butt filled a 1/2 steam pan, one pan went for day shift and the other for night shift. We took them over on Thursday around 10:30am along with hamburger buns, bbq sauce, and coleslaw. Heard back today at 11am that there was just enough for the early lunchers to have leftovers. They were some very happy and appreciative nurses & doctors - so worth it!

Name:	IMG_1203.JPG
Views:	394
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	912896

Name:	IMG_1202.JPG
Views:	389
Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	912894

Name:	IMG_1205.JPG
Views:	387
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	912893

Name:	IMG_1204.JPG
Views:	404
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	912895

Find some B&B Briquets for long cooks. Way 2 Go!!

Comment

• FishTalesNC
      FishTalesNC commented
      Editing a comment
      Next up on my list, Jared! 👍🏻

• HawkerXP
      HawkerXP commented
      Editing a comment
      Good luck. They seem to have disappeared

• Red Man
      Red Man commented
      Editing a comment
      I’ve been experimenting with B&B char logs recently. They gave me 16 hours above 250 in my last two PBC cooks. They produce tons of ash, but that hasn’t caused a problem so far.

Nice work pitmaster! Kudos for taking care of those that take care of us.

Comment

Great work there.

Comment

From BBQ with Love,
        Very Nice, indeed.

Comment

Great stuff - both the food and the activity.

Comment

Great cook, and good to see you treat those doctors and nurses!

Sorry to hear Weber is discontinuing their briquettes - they still show on their website, but at 14.99, which is lower than in the past.

They might as well be discontinued for me, since all the local spots quit carrying them a year or two back. I still have a couple bags left in my stockpile, as I ONLY touch it for overnight cooks. B&B is good though, and will be my goto charcoal once I use up all my Weber and KBB stockpile. Other than a couple bags of B&B to test, I've not bought charcoal since 2018...

Comment

• FishTalesNC
              FishTalesNC commented
              Editing a comment
              I’m anxious to try the B&B, too many positive reports about it, I expect I’ll like it. ACE here carries it too, should’ve picked up a bag when I picked up some FOGO lump there recently... I suspect I might be moving on from kbb to b&b and lump, depending on the cook, we’ll see!

Awesome job FishTalesNC. Especially nice to share an awesome cook with so many deserving souls. Also good to see that Bronco cooking great food.

Comment

Nice job. Was wondering where you were. ..., ..., ...!

Comment

• FishTalesNC
                FishTalesNC commented
                Editing a comment
                😂👍🏻

Great work, looks like everyone enjoyed it

Comment

Perfect way to spend a day smoking meat for others.
                Good job.

Comment

Good job my man!

Here's something to contemplate.... Click image for larger version

Name:	ojb fuel basket mod 05.jpg
Views:	355
Size:	146.3 KB
ID:	912971

Comment

• FishTalesNC
                    FishTalesNC commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Holy cow... have you tried it? That heat diffuser sits fairly close to the basket but that’d be interesting to optimize the height of that so it fit... I guess there’s a Plan B if I can’t get a hold of longer burning fuel!

• Uncle Bob
                    Uncle Bob commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Works fine, plenty of air flow. I was a bit lazy, that material was a leftover from another project, it does just barely clear the deflector, but could have been trimmed down some. Another, neater, alternative would be the fuel basket from the Bronco Pro. It's the same diameter but 4" taller than what you have now, $40 from OKJ.
                    Last edited by Uncle Bob; September 19, 2020, 08:09 AM.

I noticed that 3 out of 4 ladies were eating with masks on. I tried that and it was difficult and messy!

Comment

• FishTalesNC
                    FishTalesNC commented
                    Editing a comment
                    They are an extremely talented bunch - don’t try this at home!

Thanks. I have found that the barbecue people are the most generous and gracious people on earth. You make us all proud!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here