Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hawaiian Kalua Pork Butt on the Bronco

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hawaiian Kalua Pork Butt on the Bronco

Still searching for new & different ways to cook up a pork butt, I (pretty much) followed Harry Soo’s recipe for Hawaiian Kalua Pork Shoulder.

Trimmed the fat cap Friday morning and started dry brining.

Click image for larger version

Name:	C8D9C247-6C9A-4156-9AC9-C40BD890AE15.jpeg
Views:	424
Size:	220.6 KB
ID:	900426

Friday night made the rub, but left out the salt since I’d dry brined and used PBC AP instead of SYD AP. The rub is mostly powdered chicken bouillon.

Name:	1D14CB91-E9A0-4E91-AED7-D76935360A6B.jpeg
Views:	428
Size:	298.9 KB
ID:	900425

Saturday morning I fired up the charcoal basket full of Weber briquettes in my usual method for a long cook. At 7am it was preheated to 250F so I got the butt on.

Name:	82C1BCEB-105A-40D5-B1D8-86A49A6EF4F4.jpeg
Views:	389
Size:	259.8 KB
ID:	900424

After 6 hours at ~275F the bark was set.

Name:	70C42169-2402-485B-9739-DB9976440D64.jpeg
Views:	453
Size:	300.2 KB
ID:	900430

You can get these at Asian markets.

Name:	A763C013-1CC9-42D6-B065-00A9E9C53028.jpeg
Views:	574
Size:	160.0 KB
ID:	900423

I got a foil pan just big enough for the butt (the Weber large ones) and lined the bottom with banana leaf. Put the butt on top, and poured the mop slurry on top (crushed pineapple, pineapple juice, melted butter and light brown sugar).

Name:	8E3BCC82-47B3-48D3-8602-7C7EC13991E2.jpeg
Views:	379
Size:	215.4 KB
ID:	900428

Then got another banana leaf on top.

Name:	08184689-96A3-4121-9223-ACA5ECE9650C.jpeg
Views:	385
Size:	223.7 KB
ID:	900429

I covered that tightly in foil and finished it in the oven til it hit 203F IT at 3pm. Put it in the hold for 90 min before unwrapping it.

Name:	C255D411-F17E-4051-B854-6A07DB09144B.jpeg
Views:	351
Size:	189.8 KB
ID:	900427

I removed just the butt and put it in a slightly bigger foil pan for pulling. Then I carefully removed the banana leaves from the first pan making sure to reserve all the juices & crushed pineapple. I didn’t need claws, it just fell apart in my hands. Then I poured the juices, etc. on top and mixed it up well.

Name:	9D321BC8-10E6-40D7-A7D9-404C4765BF93.jpeg
Views:	375
Size:	237.0 KB
ID:	900431

We served it on sweet Hawaiian buns with a luau style cole slaw my wife made (had some pineapple chunks, sliced almonds, crushed red pepper, etc. in Greek yogurt.)

Name:	A04C0DC8-BC1E-44E7-A924-B288D1268EB5.jpeg
Views:	391
Size:	115.3 KB
ID:	900432

It was really good. Not quite as a Hawaiian-ish as I’d hoped, I think a little teriyaki might be perfect on it. One thing that really came thru to me tho was the mesquite he called for - bold for pork, but it was good.

YUM

Comment

That looks great (ono ono).

Robert Rodriguez's puerco pibil could be adapted for the smoker, as one of the comments in the link below suggests.

https://www.thespicehouse.com/blogs/...o-pibil-recipe

Comment

That looks wonderful! What were your thoughts on the flavor the banana leaves brought to the dish? You could look at the Huli Huli sauce on the site to see if that would draw some more of the Hawaiian flavors you were looking for. But that sandwich looks great!

You mentioned trying different dishes, try pork barbacoa, which will really be similar to what you did with this cook but just different spices. If you have leftover banana leaves, you are set with those!

Comment

• FishTalesNC
          FishTalesNC commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks, ya know... I didn’t notice any flavor imparted from the leaves. It mostly made the kitchen smell a little odd, ha. Maybe my palette is untrained. I’ve tried that huli huli sauce on grilled chicken thighs, great stuff, that’d go well you’re right. Loooove barbacoa, will have to try that!

• barelfly
          barelfly commented
          Editing a comment
          FishTalesNC I’ve only cooked with banana leaves once, when I made lamb barbacoa. But I did this in my Dutch oven, so no smoke. There was a different flavor for sure cooking that way. I was ok with the flavor the first day, but I couldn’t eat the left overs. Was just different, and overwhelming.

I also used avocado leaves, so perhaps the combination of the two.

I’ll have to give the recipe you used a try. I have banana leaves in the freezer still.

Fantastic. I do the exact same recipe and even my native borne Hawaiian family members love it.

Comment

• Donw
          Donw commented
          Editing a comment
          When I pull it off the smoker I doubt I even get 30 minutes before it is on people’s plates so I have no experience of holding it longer. It is not a pineapple forward dish, even when I get it served to me in Maui by relatives. The moist pork is the king with little hints of the pineapple. I would also add that to me it just isn’t the same dish without wrapping in the leaves.

• FishTalesNC
          FishTalesNC commented
          Editing a comment
          Awesome, I’m glad you’ve made it before and can offer more insight. It was REALLY moist, I wish I could identify what the banana leaves added specifically. Maybe the mesquite hid that... next time maybe I’ll skip the hold and use two smaller mesquite chunks and see what happens... thanks!

• zzdocxx
          zzdocxx commented
          Editing a comment
          Awesome.

I wonder if the pineapple doesn't contribute to the tenderness, not that it wouldn't be tender anyway.

I'm a former HI resident but never cooked it myself !

That looks great! Thanks for sharing , i to would like to have some different recipe/flavor profiles for pulled pork.
        so would you make this again?

Comment

• FishTalesNC
          FishTalesNC commented
          Editing a comment
          I’ll keep it in the inventory, particularly for any Hawaiian themed parties. Honestly what stood apart the most to me was the mesquite. My guess is the banana leaves were for authenticity and didn’t offer anything more than the foil, and the pineapple cooked down enough that flavor wasn’t as present as I’d hoped. That said, it was insanely moist and delicious. I personally loved the slaw - a bit different and the pineapple chunks in it had what I was hoping for.

Nice job and great write up. I have a Kalua pork butt recipe that uses green tea in the rub to emulate the banana or Ti leaves. Made it a few months back. Really good with a fresh, clean pork taste.

thanks for posting.

Comment

How's the Bronco holding up FishTalesNC? Still happy with it after some cooks?

Comment

• FishTalesNC
            FishTalesNC commented
            Editing a comment
            Love it, it’s a breeze, a pleasure to cook on, and pumps out some crazy delicious grub!

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here