Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bronco Chicken

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bronco Chicken

Cooked on Bronco using hanger from turkey fryer. 318 - 325 for 2 hours. Amazed at how well it held temperatures.
    The skin was tough, rubbery and inedible. However the chicken was the juiciest, most tender and best tasting chicken I have ever cooked. Not sure if it was the vertical cooking or the tight seal on the Bronco. Either way this is a chicken cooking machine!
    Attached Files

I'd bump to 350-400. Lotta store chickens got some tough skin, 7+ week olds compared to 4+ weeks for the fast food birds.

Comment

• texastweeter
      texastweeter commented
      Editing a comment
      Dad, Jerod Broussard is the chicken whisperer by profession...litterally.

• Jerod Broussard
      Jerod Broussard commented
      Editing a comment
      KenC52 I've also cut slits in the skin, think about it, the doctor didn't mention that "chicken skin strips were off limits," did he?? As you get closer to the neck you not only have more fat but the membranes snatch on to plenty water during chilling. Mail me the skin. Hehehe

• KenC52
      KenC52 commented
      Editing a comment
      Your right no mention of chicken skin strips! I'll give both (high temp and slits) with my next cook. Any thoughts on hanging vs cooking on the grate?

Chickens in general are unrecognizable these days. I feel sorry for folks who have never eaten farm yard birds as the difference is unbelievable.
    Feed to meat gain numbers make you wonder just what it is they are feeding, and what kind of animal is being fed.

https://www.nationalchickencouncil.o...r-performance/
    Last edited by Cheef; July 22, 2020, 08:36 PM.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
      Jerod Broussard commented
      Editing a comment
      Universities can grow a chicken with 50's genetics next to a chicken with today's genetics. Night and Day. Lotta generations to make advancements in genetics and feed.

• Cheef
      Cheef commented
      Editing a comment
      at the cost of?

• KenC52
      KenC52 commented
      Editing a comment
      Chart was both informative and scary! FrankenChickens!

I’m with Jerod Broussard on this on this. Chicken skin needs high temps.

Comment

Take one of the rebar out. ........ Oh, wait. never mind

Comment

• BFlynn
        BFlynn commented
        Editing a comment
        Ha!

Congrats, the Bronco is definitely a yard bird cooking machine! I usually shoot for 325F as well to avoid burning sugars in the rub at higher temps, but I get pretty crispy skin even though I'm cooking in less time (time reduced because I split them in half first). I always dry brine overnight in a rub with salt, which I think helps that a lot. We tried the baking powder trick once and didn't care for the taste, though it did help the crispy factor.

FWIW - I hung two chickens a couple of weekends ago, and on one half we actually removed all the skin prior to dry brining just to see what we thought... honestly, we loved it. Felt like we got a little more rub flavor directly on the chicken which really came thru, and it wasn't any less juicy than the ones where we left the skin. Next time I'm doing one entire chicken that way, if your Dr is advocating for it - give it a try!

Skinless half was the one in the back left... OJB... Ojb... ojb...

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0884.jpg
Views:	303
Size:	252.4 KB
ID:	885066

Comment

• HawkerXP
        HawkerXP commented
        Editing a comment
        We always work the rub under the skin on chickens or parts and some on top. Flavor through and through!

• KenC52
        KenC52 commented
        Editing a comment
        Good looking cook. Like the idea of halving the birds and removing the skin to get more of the rub flavor. Just assumed that would dry it out. Did you dry brine the skinless chicken? I'm really intrigued by that.

• KenC52
        KenC52 commented
        Editing a comment
        Just read the post more carefully and saw that you said you dry brined skinless as well. Oops my bad.

Wonder if the bottom.on that turkey fryer blocked some of the heat on the skin.

Comment

• KenC52
        KenC52 commented
        Editing a comment
        Very possible. It did cause a fair amount of liquid to accumulate in the body cavity. Next time I'm going to try splitting them like FishTalesNC does his.

• texastweeter
        texastweeter commented
        Editing a comment
        Half it and have it by a clothes hanger or bailing wire.

Good looking bird! Glad you had a successful cook.
      Lots of good advice here from crispy skin. I've changed my dry rub to 4:1 commercial rub to baking powder.

Also, if the skin isn't as crispy as I want, I hit it with the blow torch. Crisps right up.

Comment

• texastweeter
        texastweeter commented
        Editing a comment
        I do the baking powder on wings. That lower PH really works. Also works with ground mears

• BFlynn
        BFlynn commented
        Editing a comment
        Helps on the wings for sure!

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here