Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

3rd Cook on Bronco. Amazed at Temp management

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3rd Cook on Bronco. Amazed at Temp management

Just pulled the point of a brisket I cooked on the Bronco. Ran for 5 1/2 hours between 265 and 275 with very little management of the vents! This thing is amazing. Flat is in the sous vide at 154 degrees for 24 hours (just an experiment with another new toy). Brisket was a CAB choice from the local grocery. They don't usually have these, mostly just plain select cryovac but they have been having trouble getting briskets and so they just call the warehouse and basically say send what you have. Lucky me. Trimmed pretty close and then separated the flat and point. I usually do this because while it takes a bit longer in the preparation stage it shortens the cook time considerably and allows you to treat the two different muscles differently.
    Rubbed with John Henry's Texas Brisket Rub mixed with extra fine ground coffee (3 parts rub to 1 part coffee) and wrapped overnight. After first hour began moping with mop sauce (beer, apple juice, cider vinegar, vegetable oil, Worcestershire sauce, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder) every half hour. At the 3 hour mark the flat had reached 155 degrees so it went in the sous vide. When the point reached 165 degrees wrapped it in pink butcher paper and put it back on till it hit 198. Then just closed the vents on the Bronco and let it rest till it dropped to 140, a little over 2 hours. Pulled it off, sliced some of it up for a taste (OK we liked it so much that a taste turned into about 4 or 5 slices) then wrapped it an it is sitting in a 145 degree oven waiting for the sides to get done! It was awesome. Possibly the best brisket I have ever cooked! Will follow up tomorrow with photos and description of the flat.

The photo on the cooker includes a couple of pieces of sausage I just wanted to warm and add a bit of smoke.
    Attached Files

Congrats on a great cook.

Comment

And that's who I learned from folks.

Comment

• KenC52
        KenC52 commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah but you passed me by some time ago!

That looks incredible. Congrats! I'm looking forward to working my way up to a brisket. Still having fun with the "beginner" style cooks.

Comment

Ok pulled the flat out of the sous vide after 26 hours at 154 degrees. Very tender, pulled apart with very light tug, BUT it was pretty dry. Think I left it in the sous vide too long. Bought 2 prime briskets today at Sam's club. Plan to cook one next week using about the same technique I used on this one, but check the flat every 2 hours or so after putting it in the sous vide to determine the optimum time for the best mix of tenderness and moisture.
        Got to figure this out because I love brisket so but hate the extremely long term cook time.
        Attached Files

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here