Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Diffuser when using grate?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Diffuser when using grate?

Actually a couple of questions. First other than expanded room for more food what are the advantages of hanging meat in the Bronco (or any barrel type cooker). Unless you need the extra room why not just use the grate?
    Second, why use the diffuser when cooking on the grate but not when hanging food? I know you have more height without the diffuser but if you don't need the height is there a reason for using it? And if there is no advantage to using the diffuser plate why use it with the cooking grate? Pit Barrel Cooker and UDS cookers do not have diffuser plates.Does the diffuser act similar to the "flavorizer bars" in Weber gas grills?
    My new Bronco is the first vertical cooker I have used (I have used offsets and kettles) so I am not experienced in the nuances of these. I can imagine the physics of it all, but sometimes real life experience defies what "should work" in the theoretical world.

For one, when hanging, the diffuser will save you from losing a poorly hung item to the charcoal.

I think it also improves the heat distribution in the cooker, though the barrel is a fairly stable temp concept anyway.

It makes cleaning a bit easier, as you don't get as much greasy ash.

As to hanging versus grating, for poultry, you do want the dark meat hotter than the light meat, and I find any method that puts the dark meat closer to the fire better, and find hanging a spatchcocked bird a bit better than putting it on the grate. I couldn't say if there's an advantage for ribs or brisket, but I have hangers, so I will hang nearly everything that is conceivable to hang.

Comment

On the first question, for me it's the extra room. In a single cook this past weekend, I was able to hang multiple racks of pork ribs, and using the OKJ triple grate, got some sausages in there too.

On the second question, I'm still experimenting with and without the diffuser so I can't offer much just yet, but I like the advantages that Potkettleblack mentioned.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here