Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bronco Burn In Temps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bronco Burn In Temps

Doing the seasoning burn in on my new Bronco. Have the cooking grate at the lower location so I could put the hanging racks in as well. Three probes from my inkbird: 1) clipped to the cooking grate, 2) clipped to the thermometer probe end 3) clipped to one of the hanging racks. I have read about the built in thermometers reading 50 degrees or more less than the "real" temperature measured with digital probes. What I have found so far is that the built in thermometer runs within 10 - 12 degrees of the digital probe clipped to it, but both of them run about 50 degrees from the other two. For example right now here are the temps:
    Grate Level: 298
    Thermometer Level: 246
    Hanging Rack: 293
    I think that the temp difference MAY be due to the position of the built in thermometer (next to the outside wall of the cooker) more than the quality of the thermometer. I'll keep a watch on it and report back when the burn in is done if something about the trend changes.

I'd bang on the lid with the heal of my shoe if I were you. Oh. Wait. Wrong cooker, wrong issue. It sounded good though.

Comment

Ok, about 3 hours into the burn in and the temp spread is holding about the same. Temps at the grate (in the lower position) and at the top of the hangers run about 20 to 30 degrees apart with the lower probe always hotter. I think this has some implications for hanging food. The middle probe, clipped to the built in thermometer, runs from 50 to 90 degrees below the other two digital probes but within 15 degrees of the built in thermometer. I still think it has to do with the probe being so close to the outside wall of the cooker. Being non- insulated metal wall you would expect to lose a fair amount of heat through the wall which might create a cooler "jacket" of air just inside the wall that is being registered by the built-in thermometer.

Comment

Yeah, the exhaust is pulling heat away from the built in thermometer. On the Judge grill I had the heat passing across the thermometer en route to the meat and exhaust, and it read right with my electronics. Appears to be the same thermometer.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here