Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

To hang or not to hang

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To hang or not to hang

Ok just got a Bronco for father's day. Put it together today. Will season tomorrow. Then on Sunday I will cook a rack of St. Louis ribs. So here is my question, do you hang your ribs or cook them on the grate? Why?

I hang my ribs on hooks and remove the baffle. I believe the drippings add additional flavor as they cook. I alway leave the membrane on while hanging so they don’t break loose during the first part of the cook. I usually do 3-1-1. 3 hrs hanging, wrap in foil for an hour (on the grate with the baffle in) an additional hour or so until done unwrapped on the grate. If you want to sauce do it 15 minutes before you remove. Good luck and send pics!

Comment

One more thing, the seam between the different sections on the Bronco will leak oil/grease. Be sure to put something underneath the Bronco during seasoning and your first cook, maybe two. It will drip substantially.

Comment

• KenC52
        KenC52 commented
        Editing a comment
        I used high temp silicone gasket on it between the top and bottom sections.

• KCKurt
        KCKurt commented
        Editing a comment
        I did like KenC52. Used LavaLock RTV 650 F BBQ grill smoker sealer to make a gasket between the two drum halves. Ran a 1/8 inch bead around the perimeter of the upper half and its bolt holes. Wait for it to become not tacky then assemble. Trimmed excess with an Exacto knife after it cured for 24 hrs. So far no leaks.

Congrats on the new Bronco!

I do them both ways, depends on my mood and how many racks. Usually if doing one rack I’ll just do it on the grate with the heat deflector in place If I hang, I sometimes cut the racks in half to avoid overcooking the ends. Either way they’re going to be awesome. Enjoy!

Comment

I only hang 'em when they've been really bad.

Comment

• Polarbear777
          Polarbear777 commented
          Editing a comment
          I was waiting for that reply :-)

• RonB
          RonB commented
          Editing a comment
          Polarbear777 - you're welcome.
          Last edited by RonB; August 3, 2020, 12:54 PM.

Just as a note I always remove pork ribs membrane and hang but I then double or triple daisy chain hook them to prevent a quick death by fire.

Leaving the membrane on probably works just as well.
        Last edited by Polarbear777; June 19, 2020, 09:06 PM.

Comment

One cook down, hanged. I haven’t used the grate yet.

Comment

Good to hear from you Ken. We’ve been trying to teach your son how to cook but it’s been a challenge.

Anyway, I’d go all Clint Eastwood on ‘em and hang ‘em high

Comment

• KenC52
              KenC52 commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks. And as for my son, I've been working with him for 37 years so I understand challenges. But he turned out pretty damn good anyway. Out cooks me now (and make much more money!)

Maybe I'm missing something, but isn't the Bronco similar in concept to the PBC? I've always removed the membrane from ribs and the only time I've had a rack drop was when I over cooked it. I only use one hook, never wrap, and even BBs with extra loin meat take around 3 hours.

Not knocking the Bronco, just curious.

Comment

• HawkerXP
              HawkerXP commented
              Editing a comment
              PBC, PBC, pbc………Done in 3! I like it!

I always hang mine. You get more space for more ribs and it is just easier than messing with the grate. And I love those crispy boys at the end of the ribs, closest to the fire!

Comment

• N227GB
              N227GB commented
              Editing a comment
              Yep, the ones at the end go to the cook!

Another hang (PBC) and double hook for safety. Take us with you!

Comment

I plan on hanging my ribs tomorrow. Just more space.
              I've been happy with how they turn out hanging.
              It ain't broke, so I'm not fixing it.

Comment

Looks like I'll be hanging ribs tomorrow. I'll let everyone know how they turn out.

Comment

• Potkettleblack
                  Potkettleblack commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Might want to cut to half racks. Depends on how long they are.

Cut the ribs in half. Dry brine. Memphis Dust. Will aim for 225 - 250 till done. By the way this was my Father's day gift from my wife! Did I marry well or what!
                Attached Files

Comment

• Potkettleblack
                  Potkettleblack commented
                  Editing a comment
                  You married well.

• yankee
                  yankee commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Ditto

OK first cook done. I am amazed at how well the Bronco held temps. Took about 45 minutes from lighting the starter cube to 244 degrees. Then, with a couple of very minor adjustments, it held between 240 and 247 for three hours! Then I pulled them, wrapped them in foil with liquid Parkay and maybe a 1/4 cup apple juice and back on the cooker for another hour. Pulled (they were done) and let them rest in a warm oven for about an hour. Results were great. Very tender and juicy, but a tiny bit overcooked for my taste. They were perfectly "bite/pull off the bone" but I prefer the fall off the bone ribs. Next time maybe go to a slightly lower temp (200-225) or less time hanging before wrapping. Anyway we were both very pleased with the taste and tenderness. I think I am going to love this cooker.
                Attached Files

Comment

• BFlynn
                  BFlynn commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Good looking ribs! Successful first cook!

• tenphases
                  tenphases commented
                  Editing a comment
                  looks great!! go lighter on the wood in my opinion, it might be fine now but.... one it gets some seasoning the combo of fog a heavy wood smoke was tough for me. a few chunks and i keep the lid clean. looks great though and she's a keeper!

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here