Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Memorial Day STL on the Bronco

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Memorial Day STL on the Bronco

Grabbed a STL rack from Harris Teeter when they were on sale recently. My kiddo prepped them Sunday evening and started dry brined them in Meat Church Honey Hog Hot.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0687.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	194.4 KB
ID:	852193

Added another light layer to it Monday morning.

Name:	IMG_0680.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	243.6 KB
ID:	852194

Filled the charcoal basket of the Bronco with KBB and lit a firestarter off to one edge. Let it go 30 min, added a couple of applewood chunks, the heat diffuser and the grate and let that preheat for 20 min or so. Got the ribs on around 9:30am. Just had the one rack for us, so I used the grate for the ribs.

Name:	IMG_0681.jpg
Views:	357
Size:	284.4 KB
ID:	852188

I let that roll for 5 hours anticipating ~6 hour cook. Temps were stable averaging around 235F. At 2:30pm I checked them, they were looking real nice and a little farther along than I thought.

Name:	IMG_0689.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	307.1 KB
ID:	852190
    I sauced them up with the Raspberry Chipotle and added some corn on the cob with a SPOG. Let that go another 45 min, they were probe tender and about 204F IT.

Name:	IMG_0692.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	292.7 KB
ID:	852189
    My kiddo and I skipped lunch (wife was working) so I just hit them one more time with the sauce and sliced them up for us immediately. They were super moist and tender, not fall off the bone but getting into that neck of the woods (how we like 'em).

Name:	IMG_0693.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	172.8 KB
ID:	852191
    My wib critic gave it two sticky thumbs up, she'd been waiting for this all week.

Name:	IMG_0699.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	188.8 KB
ID:	852192

IMO they were some of the best wibs I've made - very tender and moist, and the rub & sauce combo was just outstanding. With each bite you got that sweetness first, but as you kept going that heat was building up. I think I have just settled on applewood with pork too, that smell coming off the smoker is heavenly to me. We did manage to save several wibs for SWMBO, good thing too because she was so busy at the hospital she only got to pick at her lunch all day. She prefers dry wibs, but really liked the spiciness of these.

Excellent daddy-daughter cook! Ribs look delish!

Comment

• FishTalesNC
      FishTalesNC commented
      Editing a comment
      It was fun, and thanks!

5 HOURS! Looks great! pbc hehehe

Comment

• FishTalesNC
      FishTalesNC commented
      Editing a comment
      Shorter than I expected, especially considering the temps were stable *cough* around 235F! 😈

Nice cook. Two racks and you’d hang, right?

Comment

• FishTalesNC
      FishTalesNC commented
      Editing a comment
      Yessir... in fact I'd cut each rack in half and hang the four halves. I might be able to make that fit on the grate too, guess it depends on what else I had going on. Three or more racks - no choice but to hang.

Outstanding cook, and the approval by your daughter proves it. I am intrigued by the Blues Hog raspberry chipotle sauce. Not readily available in stores around here, but I might just have to order some of that.

Comment

• FishTalesNC
      FishTalesNC commented
      Editing a comment
      Steve R. I have ordered it a few times! In fact, I thought I only had one jar of it (which I was reserving for chicken lollipops) and planned to use BH Original on these ribs. I was PUMPED when I discovered I actually had two jars of the Raspberry Chipotle. It's a little more expensive than their other flavors right now but we absolutely love it. Ace Hardware carries Blues Hog stuff, but ours didn't have this particular flavor. Good luck in your search!

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, I'm a wantin to try that, as well!
      Sounds Tasty!

Nice cook! It's good that you had your small chef on board to keep you straight.

Is the BH Raspberry Chipotle sweet? As sweet as BH Original?

Kathryn

Comment

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, thinking about it more, it looks like jelly, spreads like peanut butter! I will definitely heat it up next time I use some. I truly love the flavor. You need to get a jar next time you order BBQ stuff Kathryn.

• fzxdoc
      fzxdoc commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm not a fan of super sweet BBQ sauces, jfmorris and FishTalesNC . Can't stand BH Original--too sweet. Like Smokey Mountain and also Tennessee Red. That's why I was wondering if the Raspberry Chipotle was as sweet as Original.

K.

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      Got it Kathryn. I too am ordering the Smokey Mountain and Tennessee Red from here on out. I've been getting gallon jugs when the Kansas City BBQ store has a free shipping special, and keeping it in the garage fridge once I open them. A gallon of sauce goes a long way - two gallons go even farther, haha. I just threw the raspberry chipotle in on the last order to try it out.

Really nice cook, yall!
    Hail to Th PitMistress!

Fine Job, Lassy!

Comment

• FishTalesNC
      FishTalesNC commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank ya Mr. Bones just let her know, she blushed a bit. 👍🏻

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      My Distinct Pleasure, Brother!
      She did alla th work, so I wanted to give her proper credit!

FishTalesNC great looking cook! I've got a jar of that raspberry chipotle in the fridge, and a single rack of ribs in the freezer that is calling for it soon...

It is awesome that your kiddo likes it spicy! While my son was eating chips and salsa at Mexican restaurants at age 2, and gnawing on hot or extra hot buffalo wings as soon as he could, my two daughters were of the opinion that even ketchup was too spicy of a condiment, and always wanted everything plain with no sauce growing up. They've graduated to at least eating my grilled buffalo wings and other sauced stuff, but took them into their teens to do so. And my wife, who used to live on a diet of jalapeños and hot sauce, has regressed, mostly due to heartburn and such. So I may have two just cut that rack of ribs in half, and sauce half spicy for me, and half sweet for the wife...

Comment

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      FishTalesNC I am waiting in a hospital parking lot for my wife, who is getting an endoscopy right now for a possible bleeding ulcer. Soooo... she may have had medical reasons to lay off the hot sauce and jalapeño peppers the past couple of years! I'm just miffed that even with a face mask I could not go in with her, and have to sit outside in the car (since 6AM - its now 7:38).

• FishTalesNC
      FishTalesNC commented
      Editing a comment
      jfmorris definitely can't bring myself to "like" that post! Yeah, its brutal these days with the inability to be with family in any medical emergency. Hope she gets good news and is on the mend soon. Looks like you better stick to some "whimpy" sweet ribs for the foreseeable future - best of luck to you both this morning!

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      FishTalesNC thanks! The results of today's endoscopy was that they need further testing tomorrow.

It is always great when BBQ brings smiles and thumbs up even if the thumbs are full of sauce. I did those yesterday with my rub and a store bought Memphis style sauce. I started mine at 225 for an hour and then ran the temp up to 275. They were done in about 4 hours so I had to hold the in the oven for an hour and a half before serving. I can’t compare the taste, but they looked every bit like yours.

Comment

• FishTalesNC
      FishTalesNC commented
      Editing a comment
      I bet they were delicious!

FishTalesNC those look so good. I am so jealous of every one showing there photos. I have not been able to grill or smoke since November when I broke my hip. Have 15 steps down to the BBQ deck, At least I have graduated to a cane from a walker.

Comment

• FishTalesNC
      FishTalesNC commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks mountainsmoker if I was a bit closer I could drop some off at your door. And I hope that hip recovery goes well - just think of the continued "rehab" you'll be getting once you can get up and down those 15 steps to your cooker!

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Best Wishes fer a speedy recovery, Brother!
      Baby Steps are by far preferable to fallin down them 15 steps, I'd haveta reckon.
      Ya can always make some Great Food inside, as well...

I know it ain't th same, but it's what ya got to work with, at present.

• mountainsmoker
      mountainsmoker commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks guys now that I can see the end of the tunnel in the far distance it is driving me nuts. From 2-3 times a week to 0 was hard.

Yepper Mr. Bones can do some mighty fine cooking inside. Where ever we lived we always took cooking classes. So we don't go out much unless it is a special occasion or we make a trip to a highly recommended restaurant.
      Last edited by mountainsmoker; May 26, 2020, 10:56 AM.

Great job there,,,,,Jr. Pit master !!!
    Reaping the benefits of another great cook !

Comment

• FishTalesNC
      FishTalesNC commented
      Editing a comment
      She gets mighty motivated when wibs are in play!

Congrats on a successful cook.

Comment

• FishTalesNC
      FishTalesNC commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks RonB hope you're staying safe up there in the RVA!

I am going to steal this idea for my next rib cook as I have the raspberry Blue's sauce in the fridge as well!

Comment

Missed this the first time around. Congrats, and tell the pitster she can put a couple of bones in the mail for me next time!!! Beautiful cook!!!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here