Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Turkey on the Bronco - Thanksgiving in May

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turkey on the Bronco - Thanksgiving in May

SWMBO really loves turkey, so I grabbed a frozen 9.5 lber at the grocery store last week. Spatchcocked and dry brined it Thursday evening. This afternoon took it out and hit it with Dizzy Pig Mad Max Turkey Seasoning.

Click image for larger version

Name:	4439CE53-835F-4965-B2A0-C5E21596B8C9.jpeg
Views:	531
Size:	128.5 KB
ID:	850567

The Bronco was Lit with one starter cube in the center of a full basket of KBB and preheated. Then I dropped in a fist sized chunk of pecan, put the diffuser in place and hung the bird.

Name:	455E4DA0-218F-4692-A246-925851FED5E6.jpeg
Views:	422
Size:	198.5 KB
ID:	850568

One vent adjustment, avg ambient temp was around 300F.

Name:	4219A14D-5235-4C31-ACF8-757B28B6E0D6.jpeg
Views:	416
Size:	77.0 KB
ID:	850571
    After 2 hours the breast hit 163F and it had a pretty color to it.

Name:	427A7CFD-5003-40FA-8115-74DA83CD3FA4.jpeg
Views:	429
Size:	264.4 KB
ID:	850570

Took it off and got the hooks out.

Name:	BB703ADC-3551-4B98-B0F9-A66F598AE87E.jpeg
Views:	424
Size:	214.1 KB
ID:	850569

SWMBO immediately grabbed it and started carving. And tasting.

Name:	C081163A-957D-4CC9-8EA8-DD10559A747E.jpeg
Views:	412
Size:	235.1 KB
ID:	850573

Nice and moist with a perfect kiss of smoke. I like the Mad Max but not as much as the Williams Sonoma Classic Turkey Dry Brine. We did it up and had it with baked sweet potatoes, stuffing and green beans. SWMBO even made a pumpkin pie.

Name:	B662A431-2173-41F0-8F92-474C5EBA28DF.jpeg
Views:	409
Size:	230.4 KB
ID:	850572

Wow. That’s a winner, winner.....

Comment

• FishTalesNC
      FishTalesNC commented
      Editing a comment
      ...turkey dinner! 🦃

Great lookin' bird!

Comment

Another score! That appears to be a pretty quick cook, happy to see that.

Comment

• FishTalesNC
      FishTalesNC commented
      Editing a comment
      Yep, small spatchcocked bird helps matters!

Whew, I thought that last pic was of y'all emptying the cavity after smoking due to forgetting to remove the giblets.

Comment

• FishTalesNC
      FishTalesNC commented
      Editing a comment
      🤣😂🤣

Winner, winner, turkey dinner....nice job.

Comment

• FishTalesNC
      FishTalesNC commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks! 👍🏻

Main, that's a feast to behold!
    Think I'm havin either a homemade Sloppy Joe, a leftover Taco Burger, or a fried bologna sammich...
    Makin some good smoker food tomorrow, though.

Comment

• Uncle Bob
      Uncle Bob commented
      Editing a comment
      With that menu I gotta ask...……………...you have a drive thru window?

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Uncle Bob fer yerself, I'll gladly do curbside pickup, replete with N95 mask, an nitrile gloves, gratis, Brother!

• FishTalesNC
      FishTalesNC commented
      Editing a comment
      I have no doubt you’ll be eaten’ well here shortly Mr. Bones!

Very nice. Doing it spatchcocked really cuts down on the cooking time, just over 2 hours. The bird looks good as does the pie. Love punkie pie,

Comment

• FishTalesNC
      FishTalesNC commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks mountainsmoker I’ll let the misses know her pumpkin pie was appreciated clear from the Appalachians!

Okay, possibly dumb question.

why spatchcock if you were gonna hang? The problems with an intact turkey are eliminated by hanging/vertical roast....

curious, not critical. Always learning.

Comment

• Potkettleblack
      Potkettleblack commented
      Editing a comment
      As the Pit’s largest advocate of vertical roasting of poultry, I think it improves the airflow and gets the dark meat done at the same time as the light. Also allows crispy skin all over. That said, spatchcock solves the same problems.

• FishTalesNC
      FishTalesNC commented
      Editing a comment
      Potkettleblack I’m with you in that it gets the dark meat done at the same time as the white, I thought due to the dark meat hanging closer to the heat source. But in addition, I thought not having the "meat cavity" allows it to cook faster, as well, which should in turn allow it to retain more moisture. I may be wrong, or the impact may be minimal. Would be interesting to know for sure! Maybe one time I’ll do 2 birds at once and leave one whole...

• mountainsmoker
      mountainsmoker commented
      Editing a comment
      FishTalesNC that would be an interesting experiment.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here