Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Poor Mans Burnt Ends on the Bronco

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Poor Mans Burnt Ends on the Bronco

My daughter’s favorite thing I make is probably proper brisket burnt ends. She got straight A’s again and has been asking for them, but I didn’t have a brisket point. Had an "Angus Choice" Chuckie from Sam’s Club in the freezer tho, so started thawing it last week. Dry brined it with kosher salt around 3pm on Sunday.

Click image for larger version

Name:	5CED1ACB-474D-44A1-A6A9-E320798163A1.jpeg
Views:	726
Size:	317.7 KB
ID:	842034

Monday morning I prepped the Bronco for a long cook - full charcoal basket of KBB and one fire starter off to one side. Lit that and let it go 30 min with lid and vents open. After 30 min, added a few mesquite chunks, the heat deflector and the grate and closed the lid and closed the vents to ~33% open. While that preheated I hit the Chuckie with a Worcestershire slather and some All In Championship Rub.

Name:	884229AB-A360-4682-9459-D6C00D17D2C8.jpeg
Views:	904
Size:	165.8 KB
ID:	842025

Name:	850A69CB-A0FD-451D-988F-48F9D9094AA5.jpeg
Views:	695
Size:	306.0 KB
ID:	842026

Got it on the preheated Bronco at 10am.

Name:	63B7E425-9270-460F-BD5A-469116BE5172.jpeg
Views:	724
Size:	246.9 KB
ID:	842027

The cook went well, it was super windy and I had to adjust the vents once (*gasp*) but then I stayed ~240F for quite a while. I was happy to find the KBB lasted 8 + hours, and wasn’t petering out yet.

Name:	FB968730-B06D-46AD-A1F9-003D00C590CF.jpeg
Views:	706
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	842030

At 3:30pm i need to push it along, so I checked the bark and was Ok with wrapping it. It was 167F IT.

Name:	9B357F27-4649-4C8E-8927-DE0D814E60F1.jpeg
Views:	720
Size:	278.3 KB
ID:	842028

Put it in a foil pan and covered it. At 4:45pm it hit 200F IT so I pulled it.

Name:	3AC9BD8C-C9A6-4998-AF1F-4F43301B6293.jpeg
Views:	664
Size:	314.0 KB
ID:	842033

Quickly cubed it. Smelled great, nice smoke ring, but wasn’t yet probe tender.

Name:	3CFF54D6-3820-4329-9097-ADF35C4900D9.jpeg
Views:	665
Size:	256.6 KB
ID:	842029

Then back into the pan with its juices, and added Blues Hog Smokey Mountain, some Worcestershire, more rub, dark brown sugar and butter. 10 min later it was back on the smoker. Note that a half sized steam pan fits perfectly!

Name:	8CB8D4BA-AC68-414C-9768-5C0D736F0D92.jpeg
Views:	694
Size:	251.6 KB
ID:	842031

I let it go another hour and 20 min, stirring it every 20 min. Looked pretty good.

Name:	D971001A-0A58-4DFB-8439-475452DA3796.jpeg
Views:	706
Size:	350.1 KB
ID:	842032

Verdict: Another easy and successful Bronco cook. The delicious flavors were there, but most bites were chewier than the brisket burnt ends I’ve done in the past. I’m thinking this is likely because my briskets were prime points and this Chuckie was choice (and I’ve seen better marbling in choice). It seemed to be an ornery Chuckie from the time I first inserted the probe. Daughter was happy, but agreed... next time I do them I’ll find a fatty brisket point.

I'd eat those.

Comment

• FishTalesNC
      FishTalesNC commented
      Editing a comment
      I’d share if I could! Pondering putting leftovers into chili, oh my...

I’ve got a chuck roast in the freezer and I just might have to convert it to burnt ends soon. Thanks for the inspiration. Your’s looks great.

Comment

• FishTalesNC
      FishTalesNC commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks!

I have done chuckie burnt ends a few time. Getting a well marbled roast is key in my experience. I once did a pair choice grade, lightly marbled roasts from Costco and like yours, they never got tender. Now I get them from a local butcher and he lets me be picky in choosing the best one.

Comment

• FishTalesNC
      FishTalesNC commented
      Editing a comment
      Totally believe that’s key. Usually I can find Prime grade at Costco but lately that’s not been true. Could definitely find it at The Fresh Market, but we don’t make special trips out for one item quite yet. Glad to hear my suspicions confirmed! 👍🏻

Please freeze what’s left over and send them to me ,,,,,,,
    Ill pay postage 🤣😂🤣👍👍👍

Comment

• FishTalesNC
      FishTalesNC commented
      Editing a comment
      😂👍🏻 ✈️

Nice job!

Comment

• FishTalesNC
      FishTalesNC commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks DonW! 👍🏻

That Bronco looks to have been a good purchase for you. It sure is turning out great food with minimal effort. I'm impressed. It's always good to see a fellow Qer happy with their purchase.

And hearty congrats to that smart little cookie of yours. She'll be at Harvard one day.

Kathryn

Comment

• FishTalesNC
      FishTalesNC commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Kathryn, I’m blown away by the value for this cooker. I got 2 other friends to buy one and a third pending. And lord help me, she better get a scholarship! 🤓

Name:	you da man.gif
Views:	637
Size:	10.5 KB
ID:	842259
    Those be picture perfect even if they weren't as tender as wished. Nice reward for the hard workin' young lady.

I'm glad you're able to demonstrate the performance of our little gem. I noticed the YouTube videos are growing in number. One fellow has developed a fuel basket (taller and wider) that he's gotten a 32 hour burn out of. He calls it a Beast Basket. The community grows...……….ojb, ojb, ojb

Comment

• FishTalesNC
      FishTalesNC commented
      Editing a comment
      It’s gotta catch on... every time I use it I grin thinking about how well designed it is! And priced SO competitively! I should poke around on YouTube again, last I did it was mostly initial unboxings.

OJB...Ojb...ojb... 😬

• Uncle Bob
      Uncle Bob commented
      Editing a comment
      FishTalesNC, you're so right about the catching on thing. If folks paid attention to how versatile and feature laden it is it should dominate the 300ish charcoal market sector. We used it as a grill last night for skirt/fajitas, getting that nice char on the edges and fluffy dangles, and tonight salmon fillets. Not near as photo/write up worthy as your efforts, but satisfying none the less...……………...ojb, ojb, ojb

If you can find it... beef cheek. I think it might make the ultimate burnt end, even beyond point.

Comment

FishTalesNC I know this is an old post but I just gotta tell ya something. I’ve read several of your posts about cooking on the Bronco. I don’t remember seeing anyone write up a cooking post better than yours. I like all the detail and instruction you include, along with great photos. All the way from how you lit the coals to the finished product. Mentioning how much charcoal you use, how many starters to light it, along with where you position the starter cube. To me that’s important stuff for someone to learn on a new cooker. It’s also helpful you listing the ingredients used, cooking temps. etc. You really do an incredible job! Between you and Uncle Bob I’ve really gained a lot of insight on how to best use my Bronco. Thanks

Comment

• Panhead John
        Panhead John commented
        Editing a comment
        Dewesq55 One more. Incredible.

• Dewesq55
        Dewesq55 commented
        Editing a comment
        Amazing!

• FishTalesNC
        FishTalesNC commented
        Editing a comment
        Thx Panhead John ! I was just trying to "document my learning curve" with the new cooker, glad to hear it’s been helpful. I’m STILL amazed at how easy it is to use, how great the food tastes, and how relatively inexpensive the OJB is - killer barrel! 👍🏻

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here