Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"close-to-katz"-pastrami-on-the-bronco

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Close to Katz" Pastrami on the Bronco

I’ve wanted to attempt this for so long - finally! I did cheat a bit by starting with store bought corned beef, but Harris Teeter was nearly giving them away after St Patty’s Day so I snagged one and used it. I did make corned beef last year tho, so that hurdle has been cleared.

Desalinated overnight. Didn’t trim at all, there was a thin fat cap on the underside that I kept down the entire cook.

Click image for larger version

Name:	C9A7A40E-2D1E-406F-A40D-32F75B23511D.jpeg
Views:	598
Size:	207.0 KB
ID:	837651

Applied 1 batch of MH’s Close to Katz rub and let it sit in the fridge uncovered for 4 days.

Name:	E705F0EB-3E35-43D1-BE84-01F8EC53085B.jpeg
Views:	327
Size:	318.1 KB
ID:	837652

Prepped the Bronco per usual for a longer cook - full basket of KBB, one fire starter near the edge. Lit and left for 30 min with lid up and vents wide open. Then added 2 nice pecan chunks, the heat deflector and the grate. Closed the lid, shut vents to ~50% and let it preheat for 15 min. Got the meat on ~8am.

Name:	DBF458E4-B1FD-41E0-8811-DD2C6A56D114.jpeg
Views:	321
Size:	272.3 KB
ID:	837654

Cook went well, only had to adjust vents a couple times. Once when the 2nd pecan chunk caught around 10:30am. Otherwise really stable as usual.

Name:	78DFE81B-A7EE-48BA-B49C-16673CDD6768.jpeg
Views:	329
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	837655

At around 2:40pm I decided to check the bark to see if it was set well enough to maybe wrap so I could move it along faster. It was looking good by site and touch.

Name:	919BC984-8D38-4914-84A7-C727AA08BAC0.jpeg
Views:	327
Size:	271.9 KB
ID:	837657

After putting it in a foil pan and covering it, it took ~90 more minutes to hit 203F IT. At that point I moved it to the oven at 170F. At 6pm took it out. It wobbled like Santa’s belly on Christmas Eve and I felt like a kid on Christmas morning.

Name:	254D0C7D-7B0D-4560-BCFC-64DFB9C93BCF.jpeg
Views:	331
Size:	174.5 KB
ID:	837653

I had noted the direction of the grain in my first pic and sliced it across with my brisket sword. Did the Moe Cason bend-it-in-half test and it didn’t break. 👍🏻

Name:	D07D75A3-B42E-4881-AC8D-ED5C463E388E.jpeg
Views:	321
Size:	242.0 KB
ID:	837656

Had mine on pumpernickel with brown mustard and a side of dill pickles.

Name:	37497DD9-1DB8-4864-94C1-7BD639927C7D.jpeg
Views:	325
Size:	192.4 KB
ID:	837658

It was... as good as everyone says! Now I know why some of you always keep this around - it’s incredible. My wife looked at me after 2 bites and said "It just melts in your mouth". She had this at Katz last December, and said that Katz’s was even more moist than mine (likely from the steaming), but that it was also more oily/greasy which she and her girlfriends didn’t care for. Mine was a fatty point but I think smoking it all the way cooked more of that out. Or she was just trying to make me feel good but that’s pretty unlike her. 😈 Anyway, other than that she said the flavor was right there. It was without a doubt the best sandwich I’ve ever made, and I can’t wait to try again after curing my own corned beef first. Only thing I might do differently is try to wrap later or not at all. The bark softened up just enough to smudge while slicing. I think if it was only wrapped during a 2+ hour hold it’d be perfection.

Hmm. Time to cure some brisket again.

Comment

Ohhh that looks good... Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Awesome. I'm right in the middle of this process. Steam, slice, build sandwich is in deck next.

Comment

Got one I need to desalinate

Comment

Corngrats on a successful cook.

Comment

Looks very good, gonna have to try this, well done!

Comment

Oh My, that looks Tasty! Ahm'a haveta try this...come up with bupkis, on my annual post St. Paddy's markdown corned beef, this year; people was all a freakin, at th time, apparently.

Comment

• FishTalesNC
                  FishTalesNC commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Better luck on your next corned beef hunt Mr. Bones , definitely a worthy recipe! 🍀

You made a beautiful hunk o' pastrami love there my man. MH did the world a big favor with that recipe, I know it made all the difference for my success with pastrami.

The temp info on your chart shows why we really like this cooker. That pit temp line is mighty stable for an inexpensive barrel cooker......…......….ojb, ojb, ojb……...
                Last edited by Uncle Bob; April 26, 2020, 06:42 AM.

Comment

• FishTalesNC
                  FishTalesNC commented
                  Editing a comment
                  You’re so right Uncle Bob and that last little climb in the temp was after I wrapped it and opened the vents up a little more to push it along. I can go hours without needing to mess with temp control on the Bronco. The air intake system is ingenious and the Kevlar gasket around the lid prevents any leaks, it’s great design! OJB...Ojb...ojb 😬

Nice lookin sandwich! I made one of these last year. Soo good. Mrs. H thought a little to peppery. Congrats!

pbc, pbc, ..., ...!

Comment

• FishTalesNC
                  FishTalesNC commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks HawkerXP ! Hmm, looks like a smudge or something on my screen just below your reply, lemme see if I can clean that up... 😂👍🏻

"I’ll have what she’s having."

Awesome looking pastrami. I’ve used that same recipe with similar results. Hard to beat.

Comment

Pastrami Rubin my fav.
                  You Done Good!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here