Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"black-ops"-chuckie-on-the-bronco

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Black Ops" Chuckie on the Bronco

While perusing a mostly picked-over Sam’s Club meat dept a couple of weeks ago, I was able to find a package of two chuck roasts that looked better than their "angus choice" grade to me, so I snagged them. I dry brined one of them for 36 hours.

Click image for larger version

Name:	14DA4D83-0975-4F8E-B9F8-434413395917.jpeg
Views:	254
Size:	243.5 KB
ID:	826591

I had about 1/3 of a package of Black Ops leftover, not enough for another brisket but plenty for a chuckie.

Name:	88AD159B-4EF4-4520-B612-F93FB503EFD4.jpeg
Views:	204
Size:	139.3 KB
ID:	826592

I filled the charcoal basket with Weber briquettes and one fire starter off to a side. Lit it and left the lid and vents open for 30 min. Added a couple of mesquite chunks, the heat deflector and grate, closed the vents down to ~1/3 and let it preheat for 15 min before getting the chuckie on at 8am.

Name:	1FB0D987-655F-4079-B415-1B982525E403.jpeg
Views:	183
Size:	262.6 KB
ID:	826597

At 11:15am I flipped it just to expose the other side to the heat source.

Name:	E59137EE-EB33-410F-AF61-5CCA83F978F6.jpeg
Views:	191
Size:	300.7 KB
ID:	826596

At 1pm it was almost 170F IT and out of the stall. Bark looked good so I covered it tightly in a foil pan.

Name:	9C6C33F4-B476-484B-B545-801752277DAE.jpeg
Views:	185
Size:	296.4 KB
ID:	826593

An hour later it hit 203F so I moved it to the oven at 170F to hold for 3 hours.

Name:	61019E9A-D26C-4E1F-90E5-7D8C34998092.jpeg
Views:	201
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	826594

I pulled a little more than half into large chunks (how SWMBO prefers it, and chuckies are her fave).

Name:	B61B9DE8-532A-4F20-A4FC-EC36234484F7.jpeg
Views:	192
Size:	267.1 KB
ID:	826595

Absolutely delicious. So moist, and it pulled apart like butter. The rub was terrific, not overpowering. Same can be said for the mesquite. We’re going to put the leftovers together with grilled onions & peppers from Friday, grate a block of colby jack and make some quesadillas on Tuesday. Yum!

Stay apart... stay safe...

Good looking chuck! Well done!

Comment

Looks like you are making the most of the quarantine time. Great lookin chunk o beef!!!

Comment

• FishTalesNC
        FishTalesNC commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks! Getting crushed at work lately, this is the only thing keeping me sane (well.... relatively speaking)

• smokin fool
        smokin fool commented
        Editing a comment
        Yup.
        By the time this quarantine is over I may be a 38 waist, heck, maybe a 40.

That looks great.

Comment

Good eye on spotting that cut in the case. I love finding well marbled hunks o' protein without having to pay the prime/choice price. Ya done good man!

Comment

• FishTalesNC
          FishTalesNC commented
          Editing a comment
          Isn’t that just the best thing? I get so pumped, like I found the invisible "sale" everyone else missed!

Looks fantastic. 👍 Cook, reverse sear, my tri tips with black ops and mesquite. Love that combo. Have to try it on a chuck roast.

Comment

Black Ops is my favorite rub, but I only use it on larger cuts like brisket and chuck. Ill have to find other cuts for it, but dang its good! And to be honest, there isn’t an OakRidge bbq rub I haven’t liked.

Glad you enjoyed the cook. And that chuck does look great! Great marbling on it! I bet it was terrific!

Comment

• FishTalesNC
            FishTalesNC commented
            Editing a comment
            I have enough left for maybe 4 burgers, gonna see how that works. It is some tasty stuff!

I do love me some Black Ops. Nice cook, brotha!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here