Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Raging River Salmon on the OKJ Bronco

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Raging River Salmon on the OKJ Bronco

SWMBO just loves salmon. I can take it or leave it, but if I’m going to have it I definitely prefer it smoked. She picked up a big filet at Sam’s Club so I smoked it last night.

Click image for larger version

Name:	27A7AA46-7B03-41C1-B0C3-A8E1B0CB171A.jpeg
Views:	346
Size:	120.8 KB
ID:	810102

I wasn’t sure it’d fit so I cut it in half and then hit it with some Dizzy Pig Raging River.

Name:	D6A529C1-BAF3-4472-8E97-085DD03DC9AE.jpeg
Views:	432
Size:	111.8 KB
ID:	810101

The Bronco was preheated, I added a couple of small cherry chunks, got the heat diffuser in place and got the salmon on at 5pm.

Name:	ADC277FC-C5BC-4593-810F-E999F3C0C978.jpeg
Views:	351
Size:	219.4 KB
ID:	810103

It cooked for 45 min at 225F and was 140-142F everywhere.

Name:	919E9D38-E77F-4567-880B-6FDD6B5B34BC.jpeg
Views:	330
Size:	240.2 KB
ID:	810104

I was really surprised at how moist it was, even my daughter said "I usually get a small thin edge piece and it’s dry but this isn’t dry at all." I’ve typically wet brined salmon first and guess I expected that was a major factor in keeping it moist keep, but... no issues whatsoever without it. I do think being able to easily keep the temp down at 225 helped that compared to past PBC cooks. The flavors were great too, just enough Raging River (only what you see since it was skin on the bottom) and just enough smoke. My wife was beside herself and said "Oh my god... sorry but you can’t have any!" Said it was her favorite so far - didn’t expect that!

Name:	F4D750B1-4EE5-4528-A302-C670B78F0A2F.jpeg
Views:	379
Size:	252.4 KB
ID:	810105

Moist salmon is always the result of two things... a fatty fish and not overcooking it. The fillet above looks nicely fatty and you did it slow and only to 140ish. I'd maybe pull at 135 or so but that's preference.

I sometimes marinate for flavor (soy and mirin for example) but only for an hour or so there.

Comment

I've done salmon twice on the Bronco so far and it's the bomb. I do mine differently than you do, higher temp, shorter time, different flavor wood, but by the look of the albumin popping up you nailed it with your method as well. I'm really loving the control the Bronco gives over the alternative barrels.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here