Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Always looking for an excuse - found two

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Always looking for an excuse - found two

My wife and I have two different (unrelated) friends that just made it home from the hospital. One is battling a blood disorder, the other got nailed on a skiing trip and tore her ACL, MCL, and LCL. Both have kids, both parents work, etc so... figured I’d fire up the Bronco and "help out" 😈

Got two 8lb bone in butts from Sam’s Club, trimmed them, cut them in half, and then dry brined them 24 hours.

Click image for larger version  Name:	086475C8-7153-4D3F-9229-F366FE476A0E.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	3.32 MB ID:	796338

This morning, hit them with a mustard slather and a fresh batch of MMD.

Click image for larger version  Name:	9F88081E-3BF8-42A8-8385-95BAFCDDBF09.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	4.21 MB ID:	796340

I lit the Bronco (very full of KBB) with 2 fire starters and let that go for ~25 min, then tossed in a big ol’ applewood chunk, closed the lid and let it preheat for 20 min. When it hit 280F I got the butts on, just after 7am.

Click image for larger version  Name:	DF7F1337-0F85-48D2-BFC0-EE3B9850DEA3.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	3.31 MB ID:	796339

After 3 hours of temps 275-295F I opened things up to double checked the probes, but all was well. And the stall hit right after of course. After 5 hours the fuel was giving out - my temps slowly hit 225F even after opening both vents fully.

Bronco Aside: I lit the basket with 2 fire starters because 1) I wanted to cook the butts hot & fast, 2) it was 33F outside, and 3) I typically move them to the oven inside anyway once I’m happy with the bark. I suspect using 2 starters, and the fact it was KBB, contributed to a shorter cooking time despite a full basket. OKJ suggests only using 1 fire starter on an edge of the basket to achieve the 10+ hours they claim is possible. I might try that next time, and with Weber briquettes.

Luckily at that point things were looking good, and I was ready to move them inside.

Click image for larger version  Name:	CB58CD8A-2B94-4267-9E1A-99ADB09B1412.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	5.36 MB ID:	796341

Knowing the boneless chunks cook faster, I put both of those in one foil pan and the bone in chunks in another and covered them both tightly in foil. Into the oven they went at 285F. After ~90 min the boneless chunks were just over 203F and probed like butter, so I moved them to the lower oven at 170F. I bumped the temp up to 325F on the bone in chunks and they were ready 25 min later, almost exactly 7 hours total cook time. Into the hold they went with the others a little after 2pm. Pulled them at 5:30pm, we devoured the money muscles (oops), and I got to chopping - one butt at a time.

Click image for larger version  Name:	9D0E186C-33DC-4028-B246-0898714F53C9.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	3.22 MB ID:	796342

We delivered that with buns, bbq sauce, Mac & cheese and some homemade banana pudding my wife made for a very traditional NC BBQ dinner all at 6pm. It’s nice when a plan comes together and the timing works perfectly! And yeah... we held back 6-8 servings for us.

Cut 2 8lb Pork butts in half and dry brined them 24 hours. Lit the Bronco (very full basket of KBB) with 2 fire starters and tossed in a big applewood chunk. Wanted to cook them hotter, let it preheat and hit them heavy with MMD. Got them on just after 7am. Checked probe placement 3 hours in. After 5 hours fuel was starting to run low (should’ve used 1 fire starter probably) and bark was good and they started to stall. So put them in foil pans and covered them and put them in the oven at 285F. By 1:40pm the boneless chunks were ~203F and probe tender everywhere. Moved that foil pan to the oven to hold at 170F. Let the bone in pieces go until 205F and they were probe tender just after 2pm, then put them in the hold too. Planning to chop at 5:30pm.

Last edited by FishTalesNC; January 26, 2020, 07:32 PM. Reason: Added fireboard link.

Is that a rimmed cutting board? Looks really cool.

Comment

• FishTalesNC
      FishTalesNC commented
      Editing a comment
      Thankya, it’s a BBQ chopping block with sides, made by a friend. He also does the custom etching on the cleavers.

• klflowers
      klflowers commented
      Editing a comment
      I remember talking with this guy a couple of years ago. I think it was based on your recommendation, FishTalesNC. His work looks pretty good, and he seems like a pretty good guy. I didn't purchase a board yet, but now that I have a cleaver...
      Last edited by klflowers; January 27, 2020, 08:30 AM.

Good looking pork!

Comment

What’s important is the reason behind the cook, as well as celebrating the cook itself!! Nice gesture

Comment

Bravissimo! Well done on all accounts. 🕶

Comment

You're a good man!

Comment

Sweet cook. I hate pulling pork with that big membrane that sits between those muscles (outlined in blue), so I just about cut them in half by cleaning out that membrane, that way I don't have to mess with it at pulling, and it opens things a little to help that end cook along.

Click image for larger version

Name:	TwobuttsPitmasterBlue.jpg
Views:	310
Size:	142.9 KB
ID:	796453

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
              Jerod Broussard commented
              Editing a comment
              Huskee quoted from above, "I just about cut them in half" It's still one after, but sometimes it comes darn close to a 2/3-1/3 if I followed through. I'm also leaving my fat cap since it ain't much. I score the fat cap with cross-cuts, then run fat cap up so the "flap" I created remains pressed against the grate and pretty much closed.

• Huskee
              Huskee commented
              Editing a comment
              "Just about" only cuts it in handshoes and horse grenades, and pork butts.

• FishTalesNC
              FishTalesNC commented
              Editing a comment
              Interesting, never thought about doing it that way, thanks for the tip!

If you're always looking for excuses, come see me. I'm always making them! ;-)

Comment

• FishTalesNC
              FishTalesNC commented
              Editing a comment
              Lol!

Nice!

Comment

Nice cook, and nicer gesture!!!

Comment

The two of you make a great team. Man, chopped pork and homemade banana pudding should bring a smile to anyone face. I like pulled pork, but I love banana pudding!

Comment

You guys remind me of State Farm.
                  Like a good neighbor......
                  Congrats on a great cook and more importantly being great friends to those in need.

Comment

• FishTalesNC
                    FishTalesNC commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Ha! Thanks! 👍🏻

What a nice gesture. I bet your friends and their families were so grateful. Nothing like a delicious BBQ dinner to take the mind off of medical issues, at least for a while. I hope they recover soon.

Kathryn

Comment

• FishTalesNC
                    FishTalesNC commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thanks fzxdoc , I told her I injected it with super recuperative powers before putting it on the smoker, just hoping for the placebo effect. 😬

I been thinkin bout that 6-8 servings held back. Who you tryin to hose here? Just say just enuf fer us’n. 🕶

Comment

• FishTalesNC
                    FishTalesNC commented
                    Editing a comment
                    ...and leftovers! 😈

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here