Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Always looking for an excuse - found two

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Always looking for an excuse - found two

My wife and I have two different (unrelated) friends that just made it home from the hospital. One is battling a blood disorder, the other got nailed on a skiing trip and tore her ACL, MCL, and LCL. Both have kids, both parents work, etc so... figured I’d fire up the Bronco and “help out” 😈

Got two 8lb bone in butts from Sam’s Club, trimmed them, cut them in half, and then dry brined them 24 hours.

Click image for larger version  Name:	086475C8-7153-4D3F-9229-F366FE476A0E.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	3.32 MB ID:	796338

This morning, hit them with a mustard slather and a fresh batch of MMD.

Click image for larger version  Name:	9F88081E-3BF8-42A8-8385-95BAFCDDBF09.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	4.21 MB ID:	796340

I lit the Bronco (very full of KBB) with 2 fire starters and let that go for ~25 min, then tossed in a big ol’ applewood chunk, closed the lid and let it preheat for 20 min. When it hit 280F I got the butts on, just after 7am.

Click image for larger version  Name:	DF7F1337-0F85-48D2-BFC0-EE3B9850DEA3.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	3.31 MB ID:	796339

After 3 hours of temps 275-295F I opened things up to double checked the probes, but all was well. And the stall hit right after of course. After 5 hours the fuel was giving out - my temps slowly hit 225F even after opening both vents fully.

Bronco Aside: I lit the basket with 2 fire starters because 1) I wanted to cook the butts hot & fast, 2) it was 33F outside, and 3) I typically move them to the oven inside anyway once I’m happy with the bark. I suspect using 2 starters, and the fact it was KBB, contributed to a shorter cooking time despite a full basket. OKJ suggests only using 1 fire starter on an edge of the basket to achieve the 10+ hours they claim is possible. I might try that next time, and with Weber briquettes.

Luckily at that point things were looking good, and I was ready to move them inside.

Click image for larger version  Name:	CB58CD8A-2B94-4267-9E1A-99ADB09B1412.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	5.36 MB ID:	796341

Knowing the boneless chunks cook faster, I put both of those in one foil pan and the bone in chunks in another and covered them both tightly in foil. Into the oven they went at 285F. After ~90 min the boneless chunks were just over 203F and probed like butter, so I moved them to the lower oven at 170F. I bumped the temp up to 325F on the bone in chunks and they were ready 25 min later, almost exactly 7 hours total cook time. Into the hold they went with the others a little after 2pm. Pulled them at 5:30pm, we devoured the money muscles (oops), and I got to chopping - one butt at a time.

Click image for larger version  Name:	9D0E186C-33DC-4028-B246-0898714F53C9.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	3.22 MB ID:	796342

We delivered that with buns, bbq sauce, Mac & cheese and some homemade banana pudding my wife made for a very traditional NC BBQ dinner all at 6pm. It’s nice when a plan comes together and the timing works perfectly! And yeah... we held back 6-8 servings for us.

https://share.fireboard.io/E75173
    Last edited by FishTalesNC; January 26, 2020, 07:32 PM. Reason: Added fireboard link.

Is that a rimmed cutting board? Looks really cool.

Comment

• FishTalesNC
      FishTalesNC commented
      Editing a comment
      Thankya, it’s a BBQ chopping block with sides, made by a friend. He also does the custom etching on the cleavers.

https://www.edsshapeshack.com/

• klflowers
      klflowers commented
      Editing a comment
      I remember talking with this guy a couple of years ago. I think it was based on your recommendation, FishTalesnc. His work looks pretty good, and he seems like a pretty good guy. I didn't purchase a board yet, but now that I have a cleaver...
      Last edited by klflowers; January 27, 2020, 08:30 AM.

Good looking pork!

Comment

What’s important is the reason behind the cook, as well as celebrating the cook itself!! Nice gesture

Comment

Bravissimo! Well done on all accounts. 🕶

Comment

You're a good man!

Comment

Sweet cook. I hate pulling pork with that big membrane that sits between those muscles (outlined in blue), so I just about cut them in half by cleaning out that membrane, that way I don't have to mess with it at pulling, and it opens things a little to help that end cook along.

Click image for larger version

Name:	TwobuttsPitmasterBlue.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	142.9 KB
ID:	796453

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
              Jerod Broussard commented
              Editing a comment
              Huskee quoted from above, "I just about cut them in half" It's still one after, but sometimes it comes darn close to a 2/3-1/3 if I followed through. I'm also leaving my fat cap since it ain't much. I score the fat cap with cross-cuts, then run fat cap up so the "flap" I created remains pressed against the grate and pretty much closed.

• Huskee
              Huskee commented
              Editing a comment
              "Just about" only cuts it in handshoes and horse grenades, and pork butts.

• FishTalesNC
              FishTalesNC commented
              Editing a comment
              Interesting, never thought about doing it that way, thanks for the tip!

If you're always looking for excuses, come see me. I'm always making them! ;-)

Comment

• FishTalesNC
              FishTalesNC commented
              Editing a comment
              Lol!

Nice!

Comment

Nice cook, and nicer gesture!!!

Comment

The two of you make a great team. Man, chopped pork and homemade banana pudding should bring a smile to anyone face. I like pulled pork, but I love banana pudding!

Comment

You guys remind me of State Farm.
                  Like a good neighbor......
                  Congrats on a great cook and more importantly being great friends to those in need.

Comment

• FishTalesNC
                    FishTalesNC commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Ha! Thanks! 👍🏻

What a nice gesture. I bet your friends and their families were so grateful. Nothing like a delicious BBQ dinner to take the mind off of medical issues, at least for a while. I hope they recover soon.

Kathryn

Comment

• FishTalesNC
                    FishTalesNC commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thanks fzxdoc , I told her I injected it with super recuperative powers before putting it on the smoker, just hoping for the placebo effect. 😬

I been thinkin bout that 6-8 servings held back. Who you tryin to hose here? Just say just enuf fer us’n. 🕶

Comment

• FishTalesNC
                    FishTalesNC commented
                    Editing a comment
                    ...and leftovers! 😈

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                Rubs Promo
                Meat-Up in Memphis