Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hung 2 Yardbirds on the Bronco

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hung 2 Yardbirds on the Bronco

Cut a couple chickens in half and dry brined them overnight. One got Plowboys Yardbird the other Willingham’s W’ham Original which is a new one for us but absolutely in the rotation now. We loved it, and don’t have anything else like it - savory with Worcestershire and citrus flavors- YUM.

Click image for larger version  Name:	7DF64DBE-8352-4574-ABF3-B0F02F22737F.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	4.20 MB ID:	789744

I filled the charcoal basket with KBB and lit it with 2 Weber fire starters per OKJ suggestion and placed it in the cooker. I let it go 30 min with the top open and the bottom vent 100% open, and it got to this point...

Click image for larger version  Name:	EF1C9358-89D7-40D9-92AD-9D1E9F8D3B8C.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	2.47 MB ID:	789743

Then I added a couple of pecan chunks, put the diffuser in place*, played with different configurations for the meat hangers, then closed the lid. 20 min later I had good smoke and the Bronco preheated to 390F so I got the chicken on at 10:50am.

Click image for larger version  Name:	5507C769-D1B6-4128-9B8A-800A8A34AF99.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	4.03 MB ID:	789745

I tweaked the vents once at the start and never had to touch them again. This setting had it running 325-330F for the next 80 min.

Click image for larger version  Name:	CFC452CE-C460-456D-8D9F-D9296C13A9B3.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	4.41 MB ID:	789746

At 12:10pm the probe in the one with the biggest breast hit 165F. Checked them all quickly with the Thermapen and we were good to go.

Click image for larger version  Name:	7ACC4AEE-4316-4BC6-A50E-689BEDCB8802.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	3.85 MB ID:	789748

This was some seriously juicy, flavorful chicken! Had smashed garlic rosemary potatoes with it. Giving a half chicken to the in laws and making chicken salad with the rest!

Click image for larger version  Name:	1A65B983-821C-4D3C-984D-1554742A09B8.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	4.66 MB ID:	789747

*Re: the diffuser I waffled back & forth, initially thinking I’d leave it out for a closer comparison to PBC chicken I’ve made numerous times. But I’ve used the diffuser on my previous Bronco cooks and noticed the drippings still burn if they hit it and still provide that smoke fog flavor profile, plus I get the benefit of more even heat distribution. Also, 2 or more chickens would drip so much onto the charcoal basket in the PBC it could douse spots. Glad I went with it this time and know I’m still getting the flavor. Still will probably try it without next time just to compare.

Two half chickens dry brined overnight in Willinghams Wham and Plowboys Yardbird. Full basket of KBB lit with 2 Weber fire starters, 30 min to catch, 20 min to preheat (hit 390F) and get good smoke. Hung all 4, probe in the one closest to center that had the biggest breast. Chicken on at 10:50am. Vents open ~85% let it run ~325-330F.

Last edited by FishTalesNC; January 11, 2020, 12:38 PM. Reason: Added fireboard link.

Looks great!

Comment

• FishTalesNC
      FishTalesNC commented
      Editing a comment
      Come to the Dark side... 😂

• HawkerXP
      HawkerXP commented
      Editing a comment
      Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Great lookin birds!

Comment

I "designed" a large barrel smoker whereby the diffuser is angled to allow some drippings to be diverted to the sides away from the coals as to not snuff them out too much.

Hanging poultry is da bomb!!

Comment

• FishTalesNC
      FishTalesNC commented
      Editing a comment
      Brilliant! And yessiree it is, can’t beat it!! If I go 2 weeks without hanging chicken in a barrel now my wife and kid start "suggesting" 🙄 At least it’s easy enough to do during the week too.

They look fantastic!

Comment

• FishTalesNC
      FishTalesNC commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks! 👍🏻

Nice cook, FishTalesNC , and a really good-looking Fireboard-recorded temp profile. Looks like it's working nicely for you. Congrats.

Kathryn

Comment

• FishTalesNC
      FishTalesNC commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks fzxdoc ! So many cooks I’m anxious to try to see how it behaves, but so far so good!

Been doing a lot of hanging birds in my WSM without the water pan with great results. Yours came out looking good. Personally I don't want the mess of a bunch of grease hitting a diverter plat or vortex device. Too much cleanup for too little benefit. But hey that's me...later

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here