Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Meathead’s Prime Rib Experience on the OKJ Bronco

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Meathead’s Prime Rib Experience on the OKJ Bronco

I trimmed this thing the other day, and dry brined it 36 hours.

Click image for larger version

Name:	C69D701B-6F04-491A-B8A3-EEC14F9F911A.jpeg
Views:	464
Size:	277.2 KB
ID:	784182

Made a double batch of Cow Crust and got that on this morning.

Name:	C4966860-8A85-40F5-9E29-45A47B908685.jpeg
Views:	459
Size:	337.4 KB
ID:	784184

I had originally planned on cooking this on the 26” kettle w/ SNS XL, but decided to take advantage of all the Broncos features to smoke and grill/sear. Glad I did! Lit it and got it up to temp, heat deflector in place, vents were open to about #1.

Name:	F217077F-DD8C-45F3-AA91-DEE5C6014B53.jpeg
Views:	578
Size:	128.9 KB
ID:	784181

Got it on around 10am.

Name:	895421A9-CF37-4D67-A158-118B26EEA221.jpeg
Views:	459
Size:	184.7 KB
ID:	784183

I flipped it once at 11:20am just to expose a different side to the heat source. Then let it go. At 12:50pm the Fireboard read 120F but the Thermapen found some 115F spots so I let it go until 1:10pm - just over a 3 hour cook. This was right in line with Meathead’s estimate of 30 min per diameter inch.

Name:	8DCDBCE5-4557-4646-96E4-0568BFB1B015.jpeg
Views:	458
Size:	143.4 KB
ID:	784186

At that point I just lifted the grate out and, using the same loaded charcoal basket, turned the Bronco into a grill for the searing portion of the program.

Name:	C7389F5A-E8B2-4D42-BD13-7C5468065DFE.jpeg
Views:	458
Size:	219.7 KB
ID:	784185

I gave it roughly 3 min per side plus both ends.

Name:	66227A01-F1E3-4B5F-AAAB-48B40B68D3EC.jpeg
Views:	448
Size:	286.6 KB
ID:	784187

Not perfect, ended up with a bit of a gray band, but it was outstanding. My wife had also made a double batch of Secretariat sauce, and we even broke out our Amazing Ribs knives for the full Meathead Experience!

Name:	C5B45972-D718-4E23-B75B-75B00D70CB67.jpeg
Views:	460
Size:	302.0 KB
ID:	784188

Name:	B5F566A6-2765-4430-8BA6-92CD47B2B4FE.jpeg
Views:	452
Size:	188.4 KB
ID:	784189

Overall I have to say I’m absolutely giddy about the Bronco. Lighting is a cinch so far, temp management is a piece of cake, the deflector plate does it’s job, switching to the grill mid cook was a breeze, it’s been a blast to use! Only issue I think might arise is the number gauge on the vents seems to slip, but I’m used to eyeballing that on my kettle anyway.

Good job.

Comment

How low have you been able to run it with stabilized temps?

Comment

• FishTalesNC
      FishTalesNC commented
      Editing a comment
      Only my 2nd cook but at the start today it was hovering around 215F with vents set at #1. I actually opened them up a bit more, slowly climbed to 250, back to #1 and back to 215-220 range. My guess is I could lock it in at 200 if I wanted.

Prime rib roast from Fresh Market 11.25 lbs prior to trimming. 4.5” X 6” tube after tying. Full basket of KBB lit with 2 Weber starters, let it go in open smoker for 20 min then added deflector plate and grate and closed lid, vents set to #1. Roast on at 10am. Flipped it over at 11:20am.

I really like the Bronco design and features, especially at that price point. Know it had a few first run issues but they’ve been sorted from what I understand. Great little cooker by all accounts.

That prime rib is making me hungry and I just ate. Well done.

Comment

• FishTalesNC
      FishTalesNC commented
      Editing a comment
      Agree 100% - great design and killer cooker at that price point. Doing a pork butt Tuesday and already looking forward to a nice long smoke on it!

PBC's got some competition! What a great cook you had, thank you sharing this nice writeup.

Comment

• tbob4
      tbob4 commented
      Editing a comment
      I was going to say what Huskee did about the write-up and photos. Great job.

• FishTalesNC
      FishTalesNC commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks guys!

I wouldn't let it sit for a certain amount of time per side, I like to keep things moving and that will reduce the grey band. That's why I like searing prime rib on the grill, I can keep it rolling around.

I like the looks of the Bronco Pro!

Comment

• FishTalesNC
      FishTalesNC commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the tip Jerod. While searing I actually had nitrile gloves over string gloves and was handling the roast, rolling it around, checking it, etc. trying to get a good even sear. Looks like I might need more practice 😂

Thanks for the great report FishTalesNC . The photos are great and I appreciate getting to see some details on your grill as well as the FireBoard data log of the cook. You have a nice setup there.

I am betting OKJ has a winner with the Bronco series pits and it was nice to see one here.

Comment

• FishTalesNC
      FishTalesNC commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, glad it was helpful!

That looks amazing! I loooove cow crust.

Comment

• FishTalesNC
      FishTalesNC commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks! Agree on the cow crust... we have a couple slices left including one end piece which I’m claiming JUST cuz it’s covered in cow crust!

Awesome!

Comment

Good looking roast, and a great write-up. What did you think of those silicone bands? I've never seen them before.

Comment

• FishTalesNC
        FishTalesNC commented
        Editing a comment
        They sure were easy. In one of the pics you can see one broke during the low & slow part of the cook, but the others were fine. Held the shape well and were easy to take off without disturbing the crust. I’d use them again.

Nice !!!

Comment

Looks delicious

Comment

All I hear when I read this is my Visa® card saying "buy it... ". Why? BECAUSE THAT LOOKS AWESOME...
          Last edited by rickgregory; December 28, 2019, 06:01 PM.

Comment

• FishTalesNC
            FishTalesNC commented
            Editing a comment
            I for one have no regrets! 😬

• rickgregory
            rickgregory commented
            Editing a comment
            Financially prudent me: YOU'RE NOT HELPING!
            Visa: DO IT.

In reality, I'll grab one in the spring. Seattle weather is cold and rainy and the patio isn't covered, so I don't do much outside in the winter.

FishTalesNC Looks like I am late to the post but I have to say that looks like some great eating! I have and really like my PBC but I love the looks of the Bronco. Have already looked at one in the store.........may have to take another look. Great cook!

You mentioned that there were some issues early on.........were you speaking of your specific smoker or a design flaw? Regardless you also indicated those issues were now corrected. Would you please elaborate a little on that? I am interested in possibly getting an OKJ and add it to the family.
          Last edited by Alabama Smoke; January 24, 2020, 07:27 AM.

Comment

• FishTalesNC
            FishTalesNC commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks Alabama Smoke ! Sure thing, the initial runs of the Bronco early last year had an issue with the upper intake channel being manufactured upside down. I was "unlucky" when I got mine from Walmart, but they were selling them for $250 so I took the chance. If you purchase from OKJ they guarantee you will not get one of those first runs. More details in a previous post here with pics: https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...-joe-bronco/76

Nice cook. That Bronco Joe is looking pretty sweet too. I'm enjoying your journey.

Kathryn

Comment

• FishTalesNC
            FishTalesNC commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks @fzcdoc I am digging it - so many things I want to try out and test, patience is not necessarily one of my virtues, ha!

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here