Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OK Joe Bronco Seasoning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OK Joe Bronco Seasoning

So yesterday morning I finished putting my Bronco together, and thanks to the urging of Brian_M I also used Lava Lock silicone sealant around the barrel seam and intake stack seam as well as around the bolts. After letting that cure at room temp for 24 hours it was time to season my new baby...

I plan on trying various lighting methods offered up by OK Joe as I learn this cooker, with fzxdoc ‘s PBC method as my ace in the hole if needed. First I sprayed the inside, including the pieces, with canola oil. Then I filled up the basket with KBB, and since I wanted higher temps I used their suggestion of two fire starters in a full basket.

Click image for larger version

Name:	A11833CA-3F02-43F1-905C-B29F999B6F8F.jpeg
Views:	873
Size:	170.7 KB
ID:	779226

I just lit them and buried them a bit then let it go for 30 min with the lid open and the diffuser plate out. This is how it looked after that 30 min:

Name:	415D714F-19C8-4ACE-9670-E7A65C75016F.jpeg
Views:	797
Size:	148.0 KB
ID:	779228

That looked well lit so I added the diffuser plate and grate. I put one ambient probe front center and another back center at grate level, opened both stacks fully, and closed the lid.

Name:	8FEDC3FD-E513-45F5-B2CA-A23E9977AB22.jpeg
Views:	799
Size:	137.9 KB
ID:	779230

Didn’t touch it, just let it go for 2 hours. Did not observe any leaks. Here are the FireBoard readings:

Name:	C949BE24-A973-4EB9-AFA8-D6F722643C04.jpeg
Views:	789
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	779229

After the 2 hours I wanted to check the charcoal basket out of curiosity (and partly cuz I’m cooking chicken in a couple of hours). Looked like a nice even burn to me.

Name:	2363585B-AB50-4B95-8E3F-852D030C5B49.jpeg
Views:	764
Size:	186.5 KB
ID:	779227

So far so good! I choked down the vents (to a "1" on the dial they provide) hoping it’ll burn slowly enough I can just add a chimney of KBB later and let it fire itself back up and cook some chicken.

Looks good! Really curious to see how this cooker pans out for you.

Comment

• FishTalesNC
      FishTalesNC commented
      Editing a comment
      Me and you both, bud!

Looks like a lot of fun, FishTalesNC . I bet that yardbird will be delicious.

Kathryn

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here