Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bronco Intake Channel Frustration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bronco Intake Channel Frustration

I figured I’d put my "Christmas present" together early and season it this weekend just in case I found any issues (since I’m leaving my PBC at mom & dad’s at Thanksgiving). Glad I did! While I have a chuckie rolling on the PBC I unboxed everything...

Click image for larger version

Name:	3EAA525C-39AA-468C-A369-D89848EF51F2.jpeg
Views:	1316
Size:	112.4 KB
ID:	766885

It was all going well, which was a bonus since I’m mechanically disinclined. Only had 2 more parts and came to the upper intake channel. #$@*&!! I got one of those early runs where it was manufactured upside down and doesn’t slide all the way down the sleeve. 🤬

Name:	1E190FBC-A80A-41E3-8B24-D65DE27AE795.jpeg
Views:	1245
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	766886

I called the Char Broil number on the product guide, Kimberly was very helpful and I had the model and serial numbers ready. Apparently there’s a $4.95 shipping charge for warranty replacements which was waved since it’s less than 30 days since the purchase date. But the pisser is the part is on backorder and I’ll get it in "4-6 weeks" (maybe sooner if they get a shipment earlier.). She said "you can still use the product, performance is not affected" which sounded very much like a canned response she’s paid to repeat, so I simply replied "I’m sure you have to say that, but I very much disagree". Not terribly impressed, this is a known issue since this Spring and they can’t help resolve these issues immediately? I’ll admit I’m disappointed, I’d have been perfectly happy if they shipped one out Monday via snail mail. *PFFFT*

I’ll update when I actually receive the part...

Are you going to make me say it?

I've been biting my tongue for weeks.
    Last edited by HawkerXP; November 9, 2019, 02:33 PM.

Comment

• fzxdoc
      fzxdoc commented
      Editing a comment
      No you haven't. So go ahead and say it, HawkerXP. It's my fav chant.

Kathryn

p....b....c.......!!!

Comment

• FishTalesNC
      FishTalesNC commented
      Editing a comment
      Karma... biting me, hard.

• HawkerXP
      HawkerXP commented
      Editing a comment
      You can always bring the Bronco over, your Dad can make a squirrel feeder out of it. Or maybe burn leaves in it.

Can you return it locally and hope the next box has the matching parts? Unfortunately, I am assuming that "this is a known issue" likely means they are all defective.

Comment

• FishTalesNC
      FishTalesNC commented
      Editing a comment
      It was a known issue on the very early runs, but my understanding was it was fixed late Sping/early Summer. I wondered if the Walmart one for $247 could’ve been sitting around and that’s why it was on sale. These suckers are heavy and no reason to believe another $247 one from Wally World won’t also be defective, I’ll hang tight and try not to be frustrated.

Hmmm - I've never has this problem with my Kettle...

Comment

• FishTalesNC
      FishTalesNC commented
      Editing a comment
      If I listen closely I can hear the 26” laughing at me on the deck.

Keep the faith, FishTalesNC . You made a well-thought-out choice. Just give it a bit of slack and maybe everything will come around OK.

Hope you get the part sooner than later so you can play with your Bronco in earnest.

Kathryn

Comment

Try not to let it get to you FishTalesNC . Stupid manufacturing errors are frustrating but at least you were aware and Charbroil is willing to ship the right piece when initially as I understand it they wouldn't even admit the part was wrong. In the mean time I'll bet with the adjustable dampers you can get some good cooks in.

Comment

Good news to report - last Sunday I got an email from Char Broil saying the replacement part shipped and should arrive Thursday. It did! Here’s a comparison shot of the pieces, new one on top, I like how they accounted for fitting the screws into the barrel but then also allowing it to slide down the sleeve.

Name:	68D0FECC-8195-4EC2-ADF9-9783EF03C695.jpeg
Views:	1072
Size:	175.3 KB
ID:	778795

And you can see how the new one actually slides completely down the sleeve, it was a tight fit.

Name:	220B9DA7-9462-40C3-A916-C0A6F7159403.jpeg
Views:	1079
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	778796

I have a tube of LavaLock high temp sealant I planned to use around the barrel where the two pieces come together, but upon closer inspection I’m not sure it’s necessary. So I grabbed a fan and pointed it all around that seam on the outside while feeling for any air on the inside and there was nothing. I think I’ll keep it in the tube for now and see how the seasoning run goes, keeping an eye out for smoke. Hoping to do that later today! Now my only problem is that my daughter is asking for wibs but SWMBO is asking for chicken lollipops... 🎅🏻 🎄

Name:	EE249828-3FB6-4714-BECF-DC60A2C2C23C.jpeg
Views:	1066
Size:	132.0 KB
ID:	778797

Comment

Great to hear they stand behind there product.
          Happy Smoking

Comment

You may want to use that sealant on the seam between barrel sections and on the interior side of each bolt (air intake, wheel brackets and so on) to make sure you don’t get drips and leaks.

With mine, when I cook something with a lot of moisture I get moisture/grease drips from the bolt heads. It drips enough to make a mess. I keep a piece of cardboard underneath it to keep from staining the concrete.

The bolts are tight. The moisture is simply working it’s way out through the threads I guess.

I’ve been waiting to see if it will naturally gunk up and seal itself. It seems to be getting better but if I had it to do over again I would seal these spots up while it’s clean and new.

Comment

• FishTalesNC
              FishTalesNC commented
              Editing a comment
              That’s what I was thinking - it’ll gunk up and seal itself much like the PBC lid. I have a can of canola oil spray I’m going to use on the interior before I fire it up for that seasoning run, assumed that would help matters too but now you have me wondering...

• Brian_M
              Brian_M commented
              Editing a comment
              FishTalesNC please let us know what you decide to do. I’m curious to know if yours will drip (if you don’t seal it ahead of time).

To me, the drips and the cardboard solution are a pain but it’s still a good cooker. Depending on what a person thinks is important, it’s in the same range as the PBC (blasphemy, I know).

• FishTalesNC
              FishTalesNC commented
              Editing a comment
              Brian_M you inspired me to go forward with sealing it. Never done anything like that, but wore nitrile gloves, got a bead on the inside around the barrel seam and gave it a go trying to get enough there to form the seal and used a finger tip to wipe/press. Tried doing something similar around all the bolts, not entirely sure those are sealed as well. Went ahead and also did the seam where the intake stack slides onto the sleeve too since I had plenty, obviously for airflow purposes only.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here