Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Experiment on the Bronco

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Experiment on the Bronco

Tried experimenting with a pork tenderloin on the Bronco.
    I usually cook these indirect on the kettle, but the Bronco still had charcoal left from last night..

Little over 1# tenderloin dry rubbed for about 8 hours with McCormick seasoning

Click image for larger version

Name:	20230206_053943.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	119.3 KB
ID:	1373467 Click image for larger version

Name:	20230206_165210.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	161.1 KB
ID:	1373466

Being such a small piece of meat, I wanted to cook it slow to give it a chance to take on some smoke, but Also wanted to get a good sear on it.
    Wasn't sure how I was gonna do that🤔.

Started off by hanging it at 225° for close to an hour which brought it to 115° IT.

Name:	20230206_165412.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	120.6 KB
ID:	1373470 Click image for larger version

Name:	20230206_174337.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	1373471 my original plan from there was to open the vents wide open, and dump in a bunch of lit charcoal to get temp up quick. I wasnt sure that would work to get a nice crust though.
    what I ended up doing, is lighting half a chimney of KBB, and just putting the chimney down on the heat plate, and then putting an extra grate that I have on top of the chimney. I seared the tenderloin right on top of the chimney..

Name:	20230206_175421.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	103.7 KB
ID:	1373472 Click image for larger version

Name:	20230206_175153.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	130.0 KB
ID:	1373468
    It was pretty close to the heat, so I did the keep flipping it method for about 6 or 7 minutes until it reached an IT of 145. Let it rest for about 15 minutes before slicing..
    turned out pretty good. Nice crust, and really juicy.

Name:	20230206_180641.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	215.5 KB
ID:	1373469 Click image for larger version

Name:	20230206_181038.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	133.2 KB
ID:	1373473

I'm sure there are certainly easier ways to accomplish the same result (like using the kettle), but it was kinda fun to improvise, and still have a good end result...

Always fun to play around with different methods. This looks like a winner.

Comment

Nice cook and write up! Any left?

Comment

• Finster
        Finster commented
        Editing a comment
        that one small hunk you see in the last picture is what's left.
        It will end up as lunch in some way before the end of the week...

A worthy test of the Bronco and her owner...

Despite almost insurmountable odds, deluges, hail and a little wind with bright sunshine, you pulled it off.

Congratulations!

Comment

• Finster
        Finster commented
        Editing a comment
        No hail, but it was pretty windy...lol

Nice! Kettle (or comparable 2 zone setup) is the way I normally cook tenderloins. I may give that seasoning a try sometime. But it has a lot of work to do to beat out good ol' SPG.

Comment

• Allon
        Allon commented
        Editing a comment
        McCormick makes some good stuff...

• Steve R.
        Steve R. commented
        Editing a comment
        I agree, Finster and Allon. Anytime I grill hamburgers, they get the McCormick Grill Mates Hamburger Seasoning treatment. And the Montreal Steak Seasoning is one of my favorites when I smoke a chuck roast.

• Purc
        Purc commented
        Editing a comment
        Great looking cook. That pork looks so moist!

That is brillant - much better than firing up another rig for searing, or repositioning the Bronco charcoal pan. I have to give that a try. I really like the low & slow from the Bronco, but default to the kettle w/SNS for two-zone.

Comment

• Finster
        Finster commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks. It seemed to make sense to me.
        Wish I could take credit, but I saw elsewhere people using this technique to cook steaks..
        But hey, if you're gonna steal, steal from the best...right?

Yours has a nicer-looking bark.
      I do similar in my Traeger, smoke at 225*F, to 130*F IT, then adjust to 450*F to 145/150*F IT.

Name:	IMG_20230206_142633760.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	248.4 KB
ID:	1374092 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20230206_165603737.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	86.1 KB
ID:	1374093
      Last edited by bbqLuv; February 8, 2023, 08:56 AM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here