Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I Tied My Butt....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I Tied My Butt....

I tied my butt tight, and it took 16 hours to cook. At least I got a good night's sleep.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3895.jpg Views:	10 Size:	2.54 MB ID:	1362506

This 8-pound bone-in Boston butt took 16 hours to reach 201º(93.8ºC). It seemed to stall twice, once at 167º(75ºC) and again at 187º(86ºC). When I trimmed the fat, I noticed a crack in the butt , so I took some butcher's twin and tied it tight. What I thought was to be a 10-12 hour cook turned into a 16-hour cook.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3875.jpg Views:	9 Size:	3.04 MB ID:	1362507

Luckily, I cooked it overnight. Even so, 4:00 pm dinner tuned into 6:30 pm dinner.

The Bronco rocked! I have the regular-size Bronco, and after 16 hours, there is still a bit of charcoal left in the fire basket. For my fire, I vertically stacked B&B briquettes on the first level of the basket. Then I piled more briquettes on top and added a couple of pieces of white oak. The basket was overfilled.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3918.jpg Views:	9 Size:	4.78 MB ID:	1362509

I started the fire around 10 pm using the minion method. The meat hit the grate at 11:15 pm at 250º(121ºC). I stayed awake for a couple of hours to make sure the Bronco's temps were stable, then went to bed.

250º was my target temperature, but I was not worried about temps too much. I set the alarm on the Thermpro to wake me if the temps dropped below 225º(107ºc) or spiked above 300º(149ºc).

Did I mention that I got a good night's sleep?

Overnight, the outside temps were in the low 30s (-1º), and the winds were 16mph gusting to 28. I used a trick posted by Uncle Bob and put a charcoal chimney over the top of the exhaust pipe. I am sure it helped keep temps stable overnight. At 7:30 am, the Thermpro alarm triggered, and the temps had dropped below 225º. Time for coffee.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3886.jpg Views:	9 Size:	1.27 MB ID:	1362505

The butt stayed in a stall until 9 am. That's when I dropped it in a foil boat. It stalled again at 187º. So I wrapped the whole thing. At 3 pm it hit 201º(94ºC), and it went into a cooler to rest.

The moral of this story is if you don't have patience, don't tie your butt. Did I mention the Bronco cooked for 16 hours?​

Yes, the pork turned out pretty tasty.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3913.jpg Views:	10 Size:	2.95 MB ID:	1362508

Last edited by DTro; January 16, 2023, 08:19 AM.

Comment

Interesting, my last butt on my Bronco took 15 hours. Longest cook for a Boston butt for me and the weather was very pleasant in Texas. Thanks for the great write up and photos.

Comment

• DTro
        DTro commented
        Editing a comment
        Purc Thanks! --15 is long time. I don't know what my temps were overnight but they were above 225. What temps were you cooking?

• Purc
        Purc commented
        Editing a comment
        My target was 250 and then I bumped it up to 275 as the cook time got longer than planned for.

That looks great.

Comment

What a great writeup, complete with equally-as-great photos. Thank you. It's always fun to read about cooks like this. Your PP looks so delicious.

FWIW, I hang PBs in the PBC until they reach an IT of 160° and then move them to the grate. To ensure that they don't surrender unexpectedly to the pull of gravity , I tie them with re-usable silicone cooking bands like these:

Click image for larger version  Name:	71+awmXFhQS._AC_SL1500_.jpg Views:	90 Size:	48.6 KB ID:	1362515

Kathryn
        Last edited by fzxdoc; January 17, 2023, 07:03 AM.

Comment

• DTro
          DTro commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks Kathryn! And thanks for the link. I was very tempted to hang this one. Sleep was the only reason I didn't. Next time...

Ive never cooked one that took less than 16 hours. Yours looks great!

Comment

• CHNeal
          CHNeal commented
          Editing a comment
          @barefly Ive thought about it but I am very happy with my finished product. I have catered hundreds of pounds of it without a complaint and Im a “ if its not broke don’t fix it kinda guy” so Ill just continue putting them on at midnight and pulling them at 4pm.
          Truth is I kinda like the reaction people have when they ask how long it took to cook…

• DTro
          DTro commented
          Editing a comment
          Mine usually finish in 10-12 hours. One reason may be I mostly cook Costco boneless PB.

• CHNeal
          CHNeal commented
          Editing a comment
          DTro Ill bet you are right and the boneless vs the bone in is the difference

I actually cooked one yesterday also and it took me just over 17 hours to finish. I did it on my LSG pellet pooper. Overnight at 225 then raised the temp to 275 in the morning.The outside temp was 17-20

Comment

Nice job DTro ….. This is a great testament to how well the Bronco can hold steady temps. Your pulled pork looks delicious!

Comment

• CHNeal
            CHNeal commented
            Editing a comment
            Sir John has spoken!

• DTro
            DTro commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks Panhead John ! I like your avatar but must warn you that your head may be expanding...😁 ​​​​​​​

Bronco, Bronco, Bronco...

16 hours... Damn!

It looks really good!
          All that AND a good nights sleep...

Comment

Great looking butt DTro!

Comment

• DTro
              DTro commented
              Editing a comment
              @mrichie 1229 Thanks!

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here