Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OJB sealant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OJB sealant

I will be picking up a Bronco this Saturday. I plan on sealing the two barrel components when I assemble it. I want opinions on whether to use RTV 650 or their gasket tape. Thanks in advance for your input.

Whatever you use make absolutely sure it says Food Safe.

There are several on Amazon...

Comment

Agree on buying one rated as "food safe". I've seen plenty of discussion over the years that the auto parts store stuff is the same material so it doesn't matter.......but none of those commentors supplied proof of knowledge. Better safe than sorry.

I've only used the tube material, no experience with the tape. Make sure you clean the mating surfaces first, wax and grease remover if you have it, or rubbing alcohol will work too. The key is a very thin bead, roughly slightly under 1/8" inch or you'll get excessive squeeze out, and make sure to put a ring of the sealer around each hole. The bead needs to be continuous with no voids for best results, don't guess that it will "fill itself". I've seen folks claim they had leakage after using sealant, my guess is they don't really know how to apply properly even though they think they do.

Comment

• Volofish
        Volofish commented
        Editing a comment
        Uncle Bob! You seem to be very active on the Bronco area. Thanks for your contributions. I have a Bronco Pro on order and I will be assembling it this weekend. I also ordered Food Safe sealant as you recommend. Are there any other areas that you recommend I apply the sealant other than where the barrel comes together and those screw holes?

• Uncle Bob
        Uncle Bob commented
        Editing a comment
        Volofish the only other point I've done consistently (have put together 3) is the exhaust stack base. The grate bracket holes have never leaked and the base brackets for wheels and legs along with intake pipe have never leaked. Those base brackets might be done for added security if you typically do a LOT of high fat rendering proteins, e.g. pork butt without a drip pan. That would also mean clearing the drip cup more often (some have suffered "out of sight, out of mind).

Thank you both for the input and advice.

Comment

Just stick it inside a PBX.

Comment

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          Love my PBX. Just an absolute tank.

FWIW, I did not seal mine and have experienced no issues.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here