Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First Brisket Results

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Brisket Results

Click image for larger version

Name:	trozzo_211031_101-Edit.jpg
Views:	399
Size:	309.6 KB
ID:	1119176

My first brisket cook went down this past Sunday, and I want to share a few notes on the Bronco and the brisket. Thanks to those of you who pitched in on my previous post for all the help! And thanks to all those who have posted great info to this site.

I filled the Broncos charcoal basket with a mix of B&B briquettes and char-logs. I used one tumbleweed starter to light the fire at 4 am. At 5:15 am, the brisket went on the smoke. As with my past long-cooks using the Bronco, it took the next hour to stabilize the fire around the 250º temp. Spikes and dips were probably caused by the coolness of the meat and the hickory chunks igniting. For the next 9 hours, the temps held stable with only slight adjustments. My cook range was between 230º and 260º. I pulled the meat from the smoker at the 9.5/ 10-hour mark and cooked some beans.
    After 12 hours, I closed the baffles to extinguish the fire. When I checked the basket after the fire was out, there seemed to be enough charcoal for at least one more, maybe 2 hours of cooking.

Basket before and after the fire:

Name:	IMG_6987-Edit.jpg
Views:	338
Size:	177.0 KB
ID:	1119177

Name:	IMG_7113_jpg-Edit.jpg
Views:	333
Size:	281.3 KB
ID:	1119181

With the brisket, I let the cooker do its thing. I did not open the smoker or spritz the meat until the 3-hour mark. I spritzed again at the 5-hour mark and then every hour.
    I never wrapped the brisket. It seemed to breeze through the stall at first. But it stalled.

A professional checking the bark:

Name:	trozzo_211031_034-Edit.jpg
Views:	339
Size:	117.4 KB
ID:	1119178

My hand-held probe thermometer failed on me around 190º. The digital probes were in place but, I had no idea if I got them into the proper position. To check for doneness, I probed, hoping for that butter feel. I also had to rely on the visual clues I learned here. Probing the flat never felt like butter- or I was too late.

So how it turned out:

Name:	trozzo_211031_132-Edit.jpg
Views:	336
Size:	227.6 KB
ID:	1119179

Honestly, it was probably the tastiest beef I had ever made. However, the first four slices from the flat were dry, and the bark was slightly overdone on the fireside -fat side down. I should have taken it off the smoke at 9 hours. As I sliced midway through flat, pic above, things got spectacular and the point, below, was spot-on-amazing!

Thanks Pitmasters!

Name:	trozzo_211031_139-Edit.jpg
Views:	332
Size:	220.1 KB
ID:	1119180

Nailed it.

Comment

• DTro
      DTro commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for that!

That is a fantastic cook!

Comment

• DTro
      DTro commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks! I tried my best to cross the T's and dot the I's.

First brisket??? That looks crazy good. Love that point. And the bark is outstanding. I can smell it from the picture.

Comment

• DTro
      DTro commented
      Editing a comment
      First brisket??? Yup- beginners luck! The point was so good I ate the whole piece I was holding in the pic. I hope I can do that bark again. I do want to wrap my next one for comparison.

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      That looks great. It really does. I remember you asking for input the other day for the brisket cook. But you really nailed it. If you wrap with butcher paper, it will be more BBQ like, but cook faster. If you wrap with foil, it will be more pot roast like, and cook faster.

Great looking brisket. When I am using a leave in probe, I wait until the temp of the meat starts to rise and then I move the probe around until I find the lowest temp. That will give a more accurate reading.

Comment

• DTro
      DTro commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, good info. I should have done that.I nearly panicked when the insta-read failed. When I find the lowest temp is that what I should use to judge/ consider doneness?

• RonB
      RonB commented
      Editing a comment
      DTro - temp is a guide. You want to pull it when a probe slides in with no resistance. That is, for low and slow. I pull chicken at 158° and streak at 139° or 140°.
      Last edited by RonB; November 3, 2021, 06:50 PM.

Congratulations on a great cook. That point looks incredible. Your bark looks great. Wow. Heckuva job.

Comment

• DTro
      DTro commented
      Editing a comment
      Much appreciated! You added the slicing factor to my plan in an earlier post. I don't have the down yet. As you can see I separated the flat and the point after the cook, could have been cleaner. This gives me something more to work on. Ha, more brisket to cook!

Congrats, that’s a great looking brisket! Don’t worry about the flat - sometimes it’s dry even if you do everything perfectly. Great job!

Comment

• DTro
      DTro commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks! I might consider injecting broth next time. Could it help?

• Sid P
      Sid P commented
      Editing a comment
      DTro I haven’t tried it, but I’m sure someone around here has.

Ka-boom, done like a pro, that's spot on.
    Congrats

Comment

• DTro
      DTro commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks! Can't wait to try again.

That looks good enough to eat. I would pair that with PBR.
    You done Good like a grill-master should
    Last edited by bbqLuv; November 3, 2021, 04:51 PM.

Comment

• DTro
      DTro commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks! Not worthy of the title nor.. should I say not worthy of a PBR either. Hahaha

Great job Pitmaster! That’s a damn good looking brisket. Only thing is, I see by my caller ID you never called me 🤷‍♂️ Also, don’t listen to bbqLuv .That pairs well with Coors Light. OJB…OJB…OJB
    Last edited by Panhead John; November 3, 2021, 05:15 PM.

Comment

• bbqLuv
      bbqLuv commented
      Editing a comment
      That my Amazing Ribs friend is the worst insult ever leved at me.

• Soonerpop
      Soonerpop commented
      Editing a comment
      Exactly. Just as well drink a pink lemonade.

• DTro
      DTro commented
      Editing a comment
      Panhead John- Thanks- not a pit-master yet, but practice makes perfect. If your sporting' the doughnuts and pizza, the door is always open. Appreciate your help!
      Last edited by DTro; November 4, 2021, 07:00 AM.

Congrats!

Comment

• DTro
      DTro commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks HawkerXP!

Very nice! You did good.

Comment

• DTro
      DTro commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks! Beginners luck- hopefully I can repeat.

Great looking brisket. Great first effort!

Comment

• DTro
      DTro commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you! Nice complement, especially coming from Texas!

The bark, smoke ring, meat - all looks terrific. Nice job!!

Comment

Everybody’s raves are spot on. Great bark, great pic, great slice, yum, yum, yum!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here