Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grease Management - Clay Kitty Litter at Bottom of OJB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grease Management - Clay Kitty Litter at Bottom of OJB

I did my first cook of short ribs on the OJB and the ribs were great. I have to work on my fire lighting technique, but I am on the right track. To me anyway, the ribs came out better than any ribs I have ever done on the pellet grill. I put the ribs on the rack and the deflector plate under it.

What surprised me was the puddle of grease on the mat under the drain cap that made it through the deflector and hot coals. The temps dropped into the 40s so the grease started to congeal and then I took off the cap to clean it out. Not only was it filled with congealed fat, but a bunch dropped out of the tube. Is that normal?

I saw one Youtuber put scentless clay kitty litter on the bottom of his OJB to absorb the grease. I like that idea, but I'm wondering how food safe it is when heated. Any thoughts on the food safety of clay kitty litter and fullers earth? Do you have any other tips for managing grease?

Just make sure it is unused by yur cat.

Comment

• texastweeter
      texastweeter commented
      Editing a comment
      Like the Labrador in cheech and chong

While I haven't had that experience (excessive rendered fat leak) an alternative on a known high fat yield product (aka pork butt and maybe well marbled chuck) take the bottom cap off and slide an appropriate sized pan under it to catch the run off while it's still fluid. As for the "litter" thing I don't know about food safety issues, but I do know you can buy automotive grease absorbent in decent volume packaging for less than kitty litter and it's the same clay fragments, just sold to cheap car guys, not smitten cat fanciers.
    Last edited by Uncle Bob; October 24, 2021, 11:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by RonB View Post
      Just make sure it is unused by yur cat.
      I don't have a cat, so if it is used either the dog is getting cute and sending me a message or I have bigger problems than grease management....

Comment

My dog handles most of my grease spills.

Comment

I let things rip something HOT to burn out leftover grease.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Bob View Post
            While I haven't had that experience (excessive rendered fat leak) an alternative on a known high fat yield product (aka pork butt and maybe well marbled chuck) take the bottom cap off and slide an appropriate sized pan under it to catch the run off while it's still fluid. As for the "litter" thing I don't know about food safety issues, but I do know you can buy automotive grease absorbent in decent volume packaging for less than kitty litter and it's the same clay fragments, just sold to cheap car guys, not smitten cat fanciers.
            I cooked two four bone racks of short ribs and there was a lot of fat on these ribs even after I trimmed what I could off the top.

Comment

Wow, grease oozin out of the tube & droppin & congealin &……. holy crap Batman! Hope ya get things cleaned up.

Comment

Originally posted by FireMan View Post
                Wow, grease oozin out of the tube & droppin & congealin &……. holy crap Batman! Hope ya get things cleaned up.
                I might just need to cook short ribs a little hotter. I was cooking around 230-240 and I probably will cook at 250 - 275 next time and see what happens.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here