Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chicken and ribs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chicken and ribs

While waiting on TS Fred a weather event that didn’t happen here in the Keys, I did a quick cook so I could have everything cooled and put away prior to the storm. My wife loves chicken thighs so I did a small pack of them two ways and a slab of ribs that was in the freezer. The ribs were marinated in a mustard sauce for about 3 hours before cooking. The ribs were rubbed with my personal rub that is a close replication of the world famous Memphis Dust. The thighs cooked for about 2.5 hours and the ribs just shy of 4. Unfortunately in the last hour I lost the heat in the barrel due to a heavy squall line that passed through. I saw it coming and tried to open the vents to compensate but either I was not fast enough or it didn’t work how I planned. The chicken was amazing, the ribs were a bit tough and needed more time that I didn’t have. I’ll wrap what we didn’t eat in foil and put them in the oven or on the grill sometime in the next day or so.
    Attached Files

Still good cook though if you got a good meal out of it. That is how I always look at it. You can't control nature, you can only react to it. Reheating those ribs in the oven will tenderize them up and you will be all set.

How are you liking that OKJ smoker?

Comment

• CaptGreg
      CaptGreg commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm getting used to it, doing better than when I started. I can not believe how little effort it takes. Once you get it set it seems like its on cruise control. minor vent adjustments, unless you have outside influences. And less wood chunks seem to be better.

Glad to hear it passed you by.

Comment

• CaptGreg
      CaptGreg commented
      Editing a comment
      now we get to wait and see what "Grace" is going to do. I just told my wife I'm not putting the boat back in the water until this mess is all past us.

• Draznnl
      Draznnl commented
      Editing a comment
      So, the boat stays out until October CaptGreg ?

• CaptGreg
      CaptGreg commented
      Editing a comment
      LOL not a chance, I have two I have to take care of, one is on a lift and one is in the water. My insurance dictates what I do. Named storm in my area, the little boat has to come out or it is not covered if something happens. Its PITA becasue I do it myself. As soon s the next storm is gone It will be back on my seawall.

CaptGreg , do you say fewer wood chunks with the OJB due to temperature control or flavor? Just curious.

Kathryn

Comment

• CaptGreg
      CaptGreg commented
      Editing a comment
      I think there is some flare up and temp spikes with extra wood, but I took some advise i read here..and right now I can not recall who it was from. 2-3 large chunks of wood was enough. When I started I was adding LOTS of wood to the charcoal and I was getting a burned smoke flavor. I've backed off to 2-3 large chunks of wood buried in the charcoal and the smoke flavor is excellent now. I'm using my normal rubs and seasoning with the exception of the mop but that is another issue.

• fzxdoc
      fzxdoc commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the additional information, CaptGreg . I own a PBC and never put more than 2 chunks in for a long cook, one chunk for a short cook. A little wood goes a long way in that barrel style, I learned.

It's good to hear that you're enjoying your OJB, despite the learning curve.

Kathryn

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here