Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pork Butt Attempt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pork Butt Attempt

In my intro thread I posted that I was having issues adjusting to the Oklahoma Joe Bronco. I am carefully documenting this as I go through it in hopes if I am screwing something up I can be guided in the correct direction.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5144.jpg
Views:	381
Size:	179.8 KB
ID:	1071210
    3 wood chunks plus starter buried in charcoal as I read about here

Name:	IMG_5146.jpg
Views:	345
Size:	175.8 KB
ID:	1071211
    I lit charcoal and placed a couple of brickettes on top of flame once it was going

Name:	IMG_5149.jpg
Views:	346
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	1071212

Name:	IMG_5154(6).jpg
Views:	345
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	1071213
    Once I had a couple of coals that are grey in color I put the diffuser on and waited until the temp came up to 225 before putting on the meat.

Name:	IMG_5155(1).jpg
Views:	336
Size:	125.1 KB
ID:	1071214
    Temp Probe and air temp probe. Supplied Temp gauge runs about 20 degrees cold. Meat placed on smoker at 10:30

so far so good. now PBR time.

Comment

Name:	IMG_5148.jpg
Views:	376
Size:	107.5 KB
ID:	1071241
      5.5 pounds, rub is a variation on the Memphis dust rub. Found that recipe years ago and tweaked it for my own.

Name:	IMG_5152.jpg
Views:	347
Size:	98.4 KB
ID:	1071242
      This is a basic mop I put on every hour. instead of spritzing with apple juice or apple cider vinegar. If anyone is interested I will post the recipe

Comment

• klflowers
        klflowers commented
        Editing a comment
        Post it please. I am always interested in something new.

• CaptGreg
        CaptGreg commented
        Editing a comment
        Pig Dip / Mop

2 cups Apple cider vinegar
        2 cups apple juice
        2 cups ketchup
        1/2 cup brown sugar
        8 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
        4 teaspoons salt
        1 tablespoon paprika
        1 teaspoon hot sauce
        1 teaspoon black pepper

This makes a lot but stores well. I keep it sealed for a few weeks in the fridge.

11:30 update First mop and temp checks

Name:	IMG_5166.jpg
Views:	356
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	1071247
      Actual temp seems to be 20 degrees over factory temp gauge. I'm good with 270 range for this cook and have noted it for future.

Name:	IMG_5168.jpg
Views:	340
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	1071248

Internal temp after one hour

Comment

It's hard to tell from the photo, but that hunk o' meat looks very lean. If it is, that won't help keep moisture in the meat.

Comment

• Steve R.
          Steve R. commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah, it just looks like a heavy coating of rub to me. I don't think there is such a thing as a very lean commodity pork butt.

• bbqLuv
          bbqLuv commented
          Editing a comment
          RonB looks to be fat cap down.

• CaptGreg
          CaptGreg commented
          Editing a comment
          yes cap is down

Hi Greg, you might remember from your earlier post I have the Bronco also. I was wondering, how long was it from the time you first lit the coals, until you put the meat on? Looks like you’re doing it right. The next question is when first lighting the coals, did you leave the lid open as well as all vents? What me and others will do is light the coals and leave the lid and vents open for about 30-45 minutes to allow most of the bad smoke to dissipate. Once several coals are white I’ll then close the lid but still leave the vents wide open until it reaches about 250-275 in the smoker. Then adjust the vents as needed to reach my temp. You might have already done this, just checking.

My factory thermometer is also about 25* off from my real temps. A few other Bronco owners have mentioned the same. You’ll get this figured out Greg, there’s too many happy Bronco owners who love it. And as with any new cooker you get, it takes a while to get it all figured out.
        Last edited by Panhead John; August 2, 2021, 11:07 AM.

Comment

Hi John, Yes I remember. I let it go about 20-25 min. Top open and vents full open. After about 3-4 coals were white I put in difuser and closed the lid. I let it come up to 225 before I put the meat in, then brought it up to 275. It sounds like we are doing the same thing...hope it works for me this time.

Comment

• Panhead John
            Panhead John commented
            Editing a comment
            I’m sure it will Greg. Look forward to your final pics! OJB..OJB..OJB

Hour 4 update working into hour 5 Temp holding steady at 270-300 had a minor adjustment to bring it back down. Meat is at stalled at 158 for the last hour. Letting it ride. Mopped 3 times so far. Starting to smell good. Guys were supposed to start digging my pool today. They didn't show, they don't know what they are going ot miss. LOL

Comment

• jfmorris
            jfmorris commented
            Editing a comment
            I think mopping a pork butt is not necessary, and will prolong your stall, as well as prevent bark formation.

• CaptGreg
            CaptGreg commented
            Editing a comment
            Jfmorris, I was wondering that also but what is the difference between a mop and and a spritz with a spray bottle?

• jfmorris
            jfmorris commented
            Editing a comment
            CaptGreg not a lot of difference. Both are methods that cool down your meat and actually rinse off rub and reduce bark formation. I have not spritzed or mopped anything in 15 years I imagine. I only use a mop type sauce on quicker cooking cuts of meat these days. Not on butt, brisket or ribs, or anything I want bark on.

When it hits the stall, that's a wrap.
          Is it bone-in or boneless? The butts from Costco are boneless at least the ones I have bought.

Comment

• CaptGreg
            CaptGreg commented
            Editing a comment
            boneless, no Costco within 150 miles. The joys of livin on an island...we don't get all that cool mainland stuff LOL

at the 7 hour mark, I did skip two mops while the stall was happening. Barrel temp has been very steady at the 270-280 range verified by the digital Dot thermometer air probe

Name:	IMG_5170.jpg
Views:	317
Size:	133.0 KB
ID:	1071459
          It looks so small :-( I never had this issue when i used a 12 inch grate LOL. I think we are going to need more meat next time. (if this comes out)

Name:	IMG_5169.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	100.1 KB
ID:	1071460

195 or ??? What does everyone think?

Name:	IMG_5171.jpg
Views:	308
Size:	263.3 KB
ID:	1071461
          Boat picture just barbecue I am doing this and not on the boat today.

Comment

• CaptGreg
            CaptGreg commented
            Editing a comment
            I ahve a buddy that has one, I told him he was cheating with his pellet smoker, lol

• jfmorris
            jfmorris commented
            Editing a comment
            You've got a beautiful setup!

Since no one answered on the 195F, I will. That is the temp at which pulled pork starts to get into the range of being done, and you can start checking it to be probe tender. More often than not it won't be fully probe tender throughout the butt until it hits the 203 to 205F range - at least not with commodity pork. I set my Dot or Smoke alarm to 203F when doing butts and brisket.

• CaptGreg
            CaptGreg commented
            Editing a comment
            jfmorris, thanks for the reply, I've never had a thermometer before to check things. LOL now i'm paying attention to it

Loosing the fire, and the meat is only at 177, I've opened the vents more. got almost 8 hours out of the fire. I had hoped to do it all on the barrel instead of having to bring it inside. :-(

Comment

• rickgregory
            rickgregory commented
            Editing a comment
            add more coals?

• CaptGreg
            CaptGreg commented
            Editing a comment
            Up to 181 meat temp and both vents open 100% holding 250 temp. We will see how long it lasts.

my pellet pooper takes 16 hours at 225
          (but I’m usually fishing so it’s ok)
          may need to reload….

Comment

• CaptGreg
            CaptGreg commented
            Editing a comment
            ya got me LOL

Bronco still holding at 250, up to 183 one more mop and it is what it is. 9 hours and its not to target temp. I'm a bit disappointed.

Higher temp next time? 300?
          Should I have wrapped it at the stall? Never had to do this before.
          Suggestions?

Comment

I just went and checked my pork butt logs ..... I run the WSM between 250 and 275 and they consistently take about 10 1/2 to 11 hours, whether bone in or boneless. I neither mop nor wrap.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
              Jerod Broussard commented
              Editing a comment
              I rarely wrap anymore, ever since Vinella Ice retired.......

• ecowper
              ecowper commented
              Editing a comment
              After Run DMC and Aerosmith, I was done with wrapping :-)

I run it at 275-300 and cut larger butts down to 4lbs pieces. Get er done in about 7-8 hours.

made one this weekend.

also thinking about doing a flip because the bottom was super probe tender while the top was in the 180’s.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here