Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brisket help wanted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brisket help wanted

Just two quick questions:
    I'm cooking a 6# flat brisket in my OK Joe Bronco tomorrow

1. I plan to apply the rub the night before I start the cook and leave it in the refrigerator over night. Should I wrap ii in Saran wrap or leave it in the refrigerator unwrapped?
    2. I am cooking it on my Bronco charcoal smoker. It will probably be finished a few hours before dinnertime. Can I leave it, wrapped, in my gas smoker set at 175* until it it is time to slice and serve?

I have never wrapped overnight. I just rub it and put it in the fridge in a pan.

After the brisket is cooked you can wrap it in foil and then in a towel and place it in a beverage cooler and keep it for hours and it will still be hot when you're ready to slice and serve.

Good luck with the cook! Take pics and let us know how it goes!

Comment

@Ibyer
      1. I dry brine brisket overnight, uncovered in the fridge, usually on a wire rack in a sheet pan, so that I have air circulation on all sides. I apply the rub right before hitting the smoker, but if your rub is salty, by all means use it as your dry brine, and apply at least overnight. Don't bother wrapping, as the wrap just sticks to the rub and pulls it off.

2. If your smoker can be set that low, nothing wrong with leaving a foil wrapped brisket in there for a few hours. I usually wrap mine in 2 layers of heavy duty foil, and then wrap in an old towel, and put into an Igloo cooler that I have, and it stays piping hot for many hours. I've had a brisket that was 203 when it hit the cooler still be 160 5 hours later. I've also left it in an oven set to 170F.

Comment

• lbyer
        lbyer commented
        Editing a comment
        Rollll Tide!!

Yes & yes.

Rub left on won't hurt anything but it's not necessary either.

You can leave it unwrapped in your fridge or wrap it. I loosely drape plastic wrap over mine but you can do anything you wish in that regard with little consequence.

Any hot/warm box will work for the faux cambro hold phase. I use my cookers dialed down instead of coolers.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here