Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trusting my Butt to the Bronco

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trusting my Butt to the Bronco

I am about 90 minutes away on a bike ride while my 6 pound Boston Butt is smoking away on my Bronco. All three times,
    I've used the Bronco it held 225-235 for hours on end so I'm riding.
    Attached Files

Enjoy the ride and enjoy the cook. I bet it will be perfect!

Kathryn

Comment

Great! Glad to see your new smoker is working so well for ya. Those Broncos are really good at holding temps. Keep us posted on your return.

Comment

And miss all the fun of tending to the fire?
        pellet grilling for me

Comment

Won't the bike do better things for your butt than the smoker? Wait...

Comment

Well, I ran out of charcoal at about 1 pm (while the wife and I were away getting cat littler and cat food.) So about 1:30 I notice the low temps. The Butt had just come out of the stall and got up to 167 before the fire went out.

I switched over to the Weber Spirit to finish the cook. With a bit of fiddling I was able to get the Weber to hold a pretty consistent 250 - much to my surprise. I was doing some bike maintenance so I was right there and able to nudge the gas up or down a bit as needed.

Finally, decided to crutch at 3:15 and about 177 degree on the butt. Just hit 201 and will be pull the meat as soon as I hit post.

Comment

• Panhead John
              Panhead John commented
              Editing a comment
              A full load of Kingsford on the Bronco, would have probably lasted 10 hours or so if lit properly. For a long cook I fill the basket and use 1 wax starter cube off to the side. Good job on the recovery.
              Last edited by Panhead John; May 31, 2021, 02:33 PM.

• Dalmore
              Dalmore commented
              Editing a comment
              Panhead John I think I would have gotten about 12-13 out a full pan of KBB the way I hand stack them. I got 9.5 hours from lighting on this one - 8 hours of cooking. (Took me way longer to trim than expected. Wouldn't have if I had started with the right knife but that's another thread.)

• Panhead John
              Panhead John commented
              Editing a comment
              Oh, you hand stacked them huh? I’m too damn lazy for that. 🥸

Not bad looking for a rookie, eh? Click image for larger version

Name:	16224929384106649318650641414786.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	122.2 KB
ID:	1038983

Comment

I’d say that you ain’t no rookie,,,

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210531_171926.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	207.9 KB
ID:	1039105

Nice smoke ring!

Name:	IMG_20210531_173538.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	144.8 KB
ID:	1039106

A bowl of pulled pork. Tasty pulled pork, I might add.

Name:	IMG_20210531_173541.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	136.6 KB
ID:	1039107

And my plate - air fried green beans on the left. Top right is Georgia style BBQ saue on my pulled pork butt. Bottom right is my Eastern NC Vinegar sauce.

I've lived about half my life in eastern NC and half in GA so I appreciate both styles. Gotta say though, if I can hit the taste of the memories of the NC pig pickins from about age 15-16 - that's the winner.

Comment

That cook turned out perfect. Congrats! Love the smoke ring and the bark. I know smoke rings don't really mean anything, but I still think they're pretty. You've got a lot of good eats ahead.

One of these times, Steve Raichlen's Korean Pork Butt made with gochujang. jfmorris turned me on to that recipe. It's delicious, served on those Asian steamed buns with a Vietnamese slaw on the side. (the recipe says noodle but it eats like a slaw since its made from spiralized veggies).

Kathryn

Comment

• jfmorris
                    jfmorris commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Oh yeah - I've not made that recipe in a good while! Thanks for the reminder. That KB sauce alone is super good, and something I've used on chicken wings and other items as well as the pork.

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here