Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hanging Chicken On The Bronco - Deflector Plate In Action, Saves The Day! πŸ˜‰

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• STEbbq
    commented on 's reply
    Pit membership can be extremely expensive!

I mention the PBC because my coals kept going out mid cook so I wonder if the drippings were causing issues. Maybe a deflector plate would have made the difference.

• Panhead John
    commented on 's reply
    STEbbq You ain’t kidding when you’re talking about learning here at The Pit. My cooks have improved so much since joining. And the accessories I never even heard of before. The SnS insert and the Vortex, just to name a few. Both of which I now have.

• STEbbq
    commented on 's reply
    Good stuff. You do some great work.

I was never really able to get the PBC dialed it very well in terms of temp control. I probably would have done much better with it if I was a member here earlier. Still, happy with the MB560!

• Panhead John
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks so much for that compliment. I adjusted the dampers slightly…maybe 3 times in the first 30 minutes. After that, not at all. I’ve said this before several times, but once you get the temps on the Bronco dialed in, man, they don’t budge. I’m not lying when I say for the last hour the temps varied maybe 5 degrees one way or the other. And if you do need an adjustment at some point, it responds quickly.

• STEbbq
    replied
    How often do you have to fiddle with the the temps? Every hour?

All your cooks look awesome! Thank you for sharing!

Leave a comment:

• Hanging Chicken On The Bronco - Deflector Plate In Action, Saves The Day! πŸ˜‰

I split a chicken in half tonight and hung it on my Bronco for the first time. I think a lot of people, myself included, might not realize how much fat and juices drips out of a chicken during the cooking process. Watch how much juice is actually spit out during the short video. I can now see how a PBC might get some of the coals extinguished during a cook with chicken, as they have no deflector plate.

I used the Bone Sucking Sauce Rub on the chicken a few hours before the cook. I wanted to stray from my usual Hickory chunks, so I looked for Pecan. I couldn’t find any Pecan chunks so I had to settle for the chips. I soaked them in water a few hours ahead of time, hoping to keep them from burning up so fast. I’ve always used Hickory or Mesquite before, so this was my first time using Pecan. It was ok I guess, I just prefer a little stronger smoke. A little too nutty for me, but still good though.

In the video you can easily see how the dripping juices still sizzle and smoke from hitting the deflector plate. In my opinion, this is just as good as hitting directly on the coals…without the worry of putting some out. I cooked the chicken at a steady 325* for about 1 1/2 hours. It was very juicy, even the breast meat. The skin was pretty crispy, but not quite as much as I like it. I think next time I’ll shoot for 350* - 375* for the entire cook. Overall for my first chicken on the Bronco I was pleased. Room for improvement? Yes, but still happy. And as usual, this thing held solid temps the whole time. Once I got it settled in to 325, it didn’t vary more than 5* either way.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Panhead John; May 23, 2021, 06:44 AM.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here