Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Oklahoma Joe Bronco Owners (or UDS’s too) I Have A Few Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Panhead John
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks. Lots better answer than those 2 smartaleks below. 👇🥸
    If there’s one thing I can’t stand, it’s for people to ask a serious question, then some wisenheimer comes in with some silly comment. I would never do that.
    Last edited by Panhead John; March 30, 2021, 05:43 AM.

• latenight71
    replied
    Hmm. hard to say. is this the model you got?

Click image for larger version

Name:	8675957a2d132f7369540e2223d3175f.jpg
Views:	1069
Size:	113.0 KB
ID:	1010420

it cooks like sh*t but it'll keep your beer warm!

Leave a comment:

• HawkerXP
    replied
    Really?

I'd take that thing and put a 30 gal trash bag in it. Push it to the side and start cookin in your new PBC.

If you had done like some have suggested you wouldn't be asking these questions. All the answers are already here.

PBC, PBC, PBC!

Leave a comment:

• Mosca
    replied
    Got no answers, but I want to say, cool pickup, PHJ. I’d get a barrel, but I would have to put it at the bottom of the steps (wouldn’t want to put it on the deck), and it wouldn’t do anything the cookers I already have would do. Im always tempted. But when I can’t resist, I buy beef and pork and chicken instead.

Leave a comment:

• Oklahoma Joe Bronco Owners (or UDS’s too) I Have A Few Questions

I’ll be using my new Bronco this weekend for the first time. It’ll be the first time for me to use a drum smoker of any kind. After seasoning it I’ll be smoking some ribs on it.
    __1st question. I’ll be doing one, maybe 2 slabs of ribs first. Do you prefer hanging the ribs or using the grate? Much of a taste difference? If I decide to hang and want to sauce em, take them out and lay them in a pan to sauce, then put on the grate to finish right?

__2nd question. I know with this model I can adjust the dampers for temperature control. If you’re using the hangers, where and how do you use a temp probe for checking the cooking temps? Since it’s a drum smoker and you’re hanging them, the temps will vary some from top to bottom....right? Just wing it on the temps? Use the supplied thermometer and try to get close to 225 - 250?

__3rd question. The supplied heat diffuser. I know not to use it for grilling on the OJB, but how useful have you found it when hanging meat for smoking? How often and when do you use it? And will I need to cut a little off the ends of ribs when using it, so it doesn’t touch? Is there enough clearance for a full slab?

__4th question. Has anyone tried replacing the supplied thermometer with a better, more accurate one? If I can find one that’s pretty accurate I’d like to use that instead of running an extra probe under the lid.

Also, if you think of any other tips on using it, feel free to let me know. Thanks.
    Last edited by Panhead John; March 30, 2021, 03:17 AM.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here