Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Abutt time!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Abutt time!

Finally found myself a decent small local butcher. Hopefully the beginning of a beautiful relationship! And yes, he’s got locally sourced pork, and butts!! Long story short: in my part of world there ain’t no butts to find in grocery stores (only picnic roasts), and butchers are more and more going the ´by order’ way.

Anyways... 7:40 a.m. and a nice little 4 lbs butt ready to go in the Apollo! Looking really forward to it. Final pics late this afternoon.

Niiiice.

Comment

A little butt is always a nice find.

Comment

• gcdmd
        gcdmd commented
        Editing a comment
        You rascal, you.

• ofelles
        ofelles commented
        Editing a comment
        But I like big butts!
        Sorry can't help myself, I'll show myself out now.

• HawkerXP
        HawkerXP commented
        Editing a comment
        Correction: Big and little butts are a nice find. Especially at .99 lb.!

gcdmd ofelles

Seems around here a butt and a shoulder are pretty much labeled the same, as a shoulder.
      Hoity toity's around here ain't eating anything with the word butt attached.
      Musta ran with half a dozen or so livestock haulers coming into the GTA yesterday.
      Full of hogs for slaughter, end of the month, farmers need money too.
      Hopefully store bunkers fill with cheap pork soon.

Comment

• Dewesq55
        Dewesq55 commented
        Editing a comment
        smokin fool - GTA = Greater Toronto Area?? I've been wondering about it since you use it a lot.

• smokin fool
        smokin fool commented
        Editing a comment
        Dewesq55 You are correct my friend. Stretches from Mississauga to Oshawa, Lake Ontario north to Vaughn.
        In reality might as well stretch from Windsor to Cornwall and north to Barrie.
        An urban sprawl featuring the worst that humanity has to offer

• Dewesq55
        Dewesq55 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks.

6 hours in. Looking sooo good. Humming along at 155. Likely stalled. Checking in another hour to decide if I’ll wrap. Initial plan is not to.
      Last edited by BigBry; August 28, 2020, 12:58 PM.

Comment

Exactly eight hours in. Bark is... magnifique. Temps 168-170. Texture is already probe tender all over. Just wrapped in butcher paper. The smell...

Attached Files

Comment

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          Looks splendid, Brother!
          Lovin yer instant read thermo belt mount. as well!

Nicely Done, alla round!
          Last edited by Mr. Bones; August 29, 2020, 07:56 AM.

• gcdmd
          gcdmd commented
          Editing a comment
          Great work, and great outdoor living area.

And the eating?????????

Comment

Magnifique is an understatement! Wow & fireworks on the bark!

Comment

Final thoughts: best butt so far. And yet another round of learning for me. Getting to understand my Apollo more and more and how to work with it. And yes: the products makes a difference! This butt was from an artisan butcher sourced from a local farm. Insane good. Forgot the last pics... beer will do that.

Comment

• FireMan
              FireMan commented
              Editing a comment
              Oh no, don’t blame it on the beer. Well, maybe you can. How many did ya have?

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here