Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Apollo 200 to Mission Control: first cook done

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Apollo 200 to Mission Control: first cook done

Took a few days to get the first real cook done. 3.5 lbs. pork loin. Dry rubbed for about 3 hours (overnight would have been better as usual). Patted with some Meathead Katz-like pastrami rub. My family just loves that combination. Goal of the cook was to have some "deli meat" for the week.

The Apollo kept a steady 225-230 for 3 hours with almost no "maintenance". Kingsford blue with a few apple wood chunks tucked under. Water pan empty and covered in foil. Went from ignition to 225 in 15 minutes.

First cook on it, so it was a beneficial experience. Took a bit longer than expected to get to 145, bit it was a somewhat thick loin roast.

Pics of the "slice" will be at lunch time tomorrow!!

In the pit shots (no edits or filters):

Attached Files

Nice!

Comment

Looks real, real good.
      What kinda buns you want, I can be there in less than 2 hours....
      One thing I've found is the water pan/diffuser can hinder getting inside temps where you want them.
      My last coupla pork shoulder cooks I stopped using the water pan/diffuser and sped the process up.
      Next cook try without to see if there is any difference.

Comment

Originally posted by smokin fool View Post
        Looks real, real good.
        What kinda buns you want, I can be there in less than 2 hours....
        One thing I've found is the water pan/diffuser can hinder getting inside temps where you want them.
        My last coupla pork shoulder cooks I stopped using the water pan/diffuser and sped the process up.
        Next cook try without to see if there is any difference.
        No water in the pan. I decided from the start to go the Harry Soo way and see how it will turn out. My mantra is "have fun and don’t overthink stuff". I have some crazy ideas lined up for the future.

Comment

• smokin fool
          smokin fool commented
          Editing a comment
          What's this think thing....
          And opps on the be there in 2 hours.... Aylmer, On, yes....Aylmer PQ try 6ish

Meat for a week huh? Let us know how that goes! Good lookin cook! Still is a cool lookin smoker. BTW is that a Napoleon gasser?

Comment

• pjlstrat
          pjlstrat commented
          Editing a comment
          Pretty sure that's a Weber

Very nice.

Comment

Good job and really nice new smoker. Glad you are liking it.

Comment

Very nice looking roast. Happy that you had great success on the initial launch. BTW your "mantra" are truely words to live by. Just cook away and always believe your indicators.

Comment

Looking good!

566 on the alarm? I didn't realize they went that high. I will have to check my Dot.

Comment

Nice looking, the meat looks good too

Comment

Originally posted by FireMan View Post
                  BTW is that a Napoleon gasser?
                  That’s my good old 15 yo Weber Genesis. Both are getting alone fine so far!

Comment

Great for a first short cook - looks like you are ready for a long low and slow smoke of a pork butt or some ribs!

Comment

Thanks, explain later!🕶

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here